[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 39 KB, 344x517, pondering.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4298953 No.4298953 [Reply] [Original]

Basically, I'm here to give you all a low-down on the future understanding of biology, astronomy, evolution, psychology, chemistry, quantum mechanics, and all that other stuff. Partly because I'm bored, but mostly because I don't expect to be taken seriously anyway.

Feel free to ask me any science related question you want, but keep in mind that my job is to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. I can give you all explanations and such, but if you want specifics, I won't be able to help you. That's stuff you'll have to search (or I guess in this case, "discover") on your own.

I'll be as honest with you as possible if I get to a point that either I or the scientific community still don't understand. It's a privilege I don't give my students, but you guys are probably a lot smarter than me anyway. I only know what I've been told.

Shall we get started?

>> No.4298969

My loaf of bread has gone hard and brittle.
When I microwave it, it softens but becomes quite tough.

Why?

>> No.4298994

>>4298969
>>>/ck/

>> No.4299021

>>4298994
It's not a cooking question. It's a reasonable materials question. Consider this bread inedible for the sake of the question.

OP should certainly expect questions about phenomena his students have encountered.

>> No.4299023

>>4298953
What are Quasars?

>> No.4299027

What is dark matter?

>> No.4299028

>uses mannerisms of someone in their 20's from 2012
>cannot give detailed information
>has no reason to be here

Appreciate the attempt; but its not going to start.
//vothernode 2308

>> No.4299038

>>4298969
It's because the sugars in the bread have become heated enough that they've melted together, and then rehardened again. The microwave energizes the electrons in the bread, causing their fields to expand and allow for a larger variety of connections.

Think of it like this:

Sand and mud, over time, harden as water evaporates. Combined with pressure and time, this creates a sedimentary rock. And if you melt that rock instead, it hardens and you end up with a metamorphic rock. While the two rocks are made of the same materials, the process of heating the rock allowed the bonds to take on new and stronger formations.

>> No.4299051

0) Big dick pills?
1) Is evolution just a guass?
2) Can a bicycle take off if it's on a treadmill moving at equal speed? Keep in mind that E.T. is in the basket
3) Will I ever ride a space elevator ?
4) Will there be universities on other planets?
5) Why can I hear a crunching sound in my ear when I try to? it's sort of like popping in my ear but different
6) Shower curtains
7)Magnets
8) Bicycles
9) Why do black men steal all of your women?
10) Wet+ hands = wrinkly ; grip?
11) Cryonics = mental retardation ?
12) Were the vikings really like modern day rappers?
13) Nootropics
14) Is 6.5 inches of dick meat really enough?
15) Shitting on an airplane
16) Shitting on a train
17) Shitting on a bus
18) Getting shit on by birds. Good luck?
19) Big hole in side of plane
20) Hamburgers?
21) Square hamburgers or round?
22) Blue balls
23) Zit on my lip that has been there for weeks? Even though I popped it a few times
24) Spiderman: friend or foe?
25) Death? I never asked for it
26) Neanderthals. Can we fuck them and make babies? Should we bring them back?
27) Would a meteor hitting the ocean cause it to freeze and all the animals to die?
28) Is the best time to cry really when cutting onions?
29) Night time shit feel
30) Alpha or beta?
31) Africa : white man's fault?
32)Are humans really aliens? And there is a species in the ocean that is more intelligent than us and we are in space?
33) Muffin tops
34) Why do cats shit everywhere?
35) Can I break my own neck? With my hands
36) Can I break any of my own bones with my hands?
37) Can I die from learning too much?
38) Skyquakes?
39) Sleep?
40) Rabbits? Celery?
Pt. 1

>> No.4299056

Dark Matter is more or less the "fabric of the universe".

One of the experiments I have my students run is to take a bottle of syrup and drizzle it on a paper towel covering a small tubberware container. As they pour the syrup on, they start to see spots on the paper towel become darker than others, while other areas remain bright. The only spots that you won't see the paper towel are the places where the syrup has begun to seep through and create "black holes".

>> No.4299058

Biological immortality!

>> No.4299059

>>4299038
So in a loose sense, I've annealed the bread?

In any case, I like your answer, thanks.

>> No.4299062

holy shit.. you actually sound like a decently educated and intelligent teacher.

>> No.4299067

>>4299062
He answered the question 22 minutes after it was asked. If you couldn't google the answer in that time you're retarded.

>> No.4299074

>>4299023
Current understanding is that Quasars "create" the universe. Going to the syrup example I give my students from >>4299056, the spot(s) where you pour the syrup is usually one of the spots that it begins to leak out as well.

The continual flow of energy through these spots gives the illusion that they rapidly moving away at an increasing rate, when in reality, matter and energy just continually flow away from it and into black holes. That's why matter (other than the ones close to the black holes we're near) will always appear to be accelerating away. Getting close to the center of a quasar is much like getting away from the center of a black hole; you just can't do it.

>> No.4299088

>>4299067
true... but even that, compared to the level of ineptitude displayed by the education majors I've met.. is approaching god-tier teacher level

>> No.4299087

>>4299067
I assumed he was screwing around, so I was debating on whether I should take him seriously or not. Even in the future, teachers still have to deal with students who "test" them and ask questions they already know the answers to.

I like curiosity, but only when the person asking is genuinely curious.

>> No.4299093

How do you define time?

>> No.4299097

Is gravity a force?

>> No.4299104

If you're from the future why not give us crucial helpful information instead of a bullshit googlefest?

>> No.4299109

>>4299087
I wasn't screwing around.

If I want to know what a quasar is, I know where to look.

On the other hand, variations in bread toughness is something I encounter all the time, but I don't imagine that there is a wikipedia page for it.

I don't know if you've read Flying Circus of Physics, but those are the kinds of questions you ask an expert. Not much point in asking them to regurgitate encyclopedia entries. (Unless you aim to test how digestible they can make the material.)

>> No.4299116

>>4299058
Doesn't exist in any "real" sense. Human lives can be extended, but never made immortal.

The ultimate problem is with the brain itself. While it's capable of the most intricate thoughts and ideas, there are still limits to its capabilities and just how much information it can hold. It's not a coincidence that people who are in the higher maths are often slow when they deal with simple equations. The brain functions by erasing information.

Long story short, "biological" and "immortality" simply don't go hand in hand. In the end, we're still required to sacrifice the thing that makes us human. If anything, the human dream has always been "To learn forever".

>> No.4299125
File: 78 KB, 1000x500, 1310133470078.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4299116
>The brain functions by erasing information.

>> No.4299129

>>4299051
>0) Big dick pills?.
Horde it like it's gold.
>1) Is evolution just a guass?
No, technically it's a a geuss.
>2) Can a bicycle take off if it's on a treadmill moving at equal speed? Keep in mind that E.T. is in the basket
No, E.T. doesn't fully understand treadmill technology.
>3) Will I ever ride a space elevator ?
They lied, it wasn't really a space elevator
>4) Will there be universities on other planets?
NO the word university is banned in the future, everything institution is called an Academy.
>5) Why can I hear a crunching sound in my ear when I try to? it's sort of like popping in my ear but different
Aliens.
>6) Shower curtains
Completely unnecessary (especially if female).
>7)Magnets
God fucking with us.
>8) Bicycles
For greenfags and fitness freaks
>9) Why do black men steal all of your women?
Neither black men nor women really exist in space-time.
>10) Wet+ hands = wrinkly ; grip?
Grip: Only if you use semen
>11) Cryonics = mental retardation ?
Only if your a humanities major
>12) Were the vikings really like modern day rappers?
No, modern day rappers don't have awesome headgear.
>13) Nootropics
See 0)
>14) Is 6.5 inches of dick meat really enough?
Take more of 0)
>15) Shitting on an airplane
Is legal
>16) Shitting on a train
Should be legal
>17) Shitting on a bus
Don't be an asshole
>18) Getting shit on by birds. Good luck?
Only if it's from an African swallow
>19) Big hole in side of plane
Convenient shithole
>20) Hamburgers?
Staple food

>> No.4299131

>>4299104
Because you didn't ask.

Here's how it stands: If I simply tell you how things are, you won't believe me because you'll think you already have the answer. If you ask me, then that means you're at least curious about what I have to say.

>crucial helpful information
Like what?

>> No.4299132 [DELETED] 

>21) Square hamburgers or round?
Round- greater area per cost of side burger
>22) Blue balls
Actually grey
>23) Zit on my lip that has been there for weeks? Even though I popped it a few times
Micro-organism that has claimed your lip as its sovereign territory, immediately cease all acts of aggression
>24) Spiderman: friend or foe?
Both.
>25) Death? I never asked for it
Death is a myth perpetuated by normalfags
>26) Neanderthals. Can we fuck them and make babies? Should we bring them back?
Yes and yes, Neanderthals make excellent slaves.
>27) Would a meteor hitting the ocean cause it to freeze and all the animals to die?
Only if the meteor originated from a collision between a sun made out of ice and a sun made out of lava.
>28) Is the best time to cry really when cutting onions?
The best time is actually 5-10 minutes before you start cutting- it helps to be prepared
>29) Night time shit feel
>30) Alpha or beta?
epsilon is the only logical _
>31) Africa : white man's fault?
You can blame the Huns for Africa
>32)Are humans really aliens? And there is a species in the ocean that is more intelligent than us and we are in space?
Yes, we are ancient aliens who stole Earth from the sea peoples.
>33) Muffin tops
Why not?
>34) Why do cats shit everywhere?
Insecurity issues
>35) Can I break my own neck? With my hands
Only if you were born an android
>36) Can I break any of my own bones with my hands?
That is an act of blasphemy against against the Khoisan tribes peoples gods.
>37) Can I die from learning too much?
Only if you take any nourishment during your study.
>38) Skyquakes?
All quakes are actually skyquakes that propagate to the ground, earthquakes are a myth.
>39) Sleep?
Overrated, only normalfags need sleep
>40) Rabbits? Celery?
No.

>> No.4299134

>>4299125
Actually, yes. While HSSTFTF's explanation of immortality being impossible is incorrect, the brain does rely on the elimination of neural connections for effective learning. He was imprecise in his language when he says that "the brain functions" this way.

>> No.4299135

>>4299097
Answer this please, OP. Is gravity a force or simply space-time curvature?

>> No.4299138
File: 98 KB, 447x444, 1309662283770.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4299134

>> No.4299140

This is aaalmost hurtful

ok fellows, im actually from the future. 2066. not supposed to have come here, having trouble returning

AMA (except for the velco!)

>> No.4299149

>>4299125
More or less, it does.

The brain functions by creating a "random" assortment of thoughts and ideas. If a "line" of thought is successful, the brain will use it more often while thoughts that are "dead ends" will simply die off.

The process of evolution and the process of thought, as it turns out, are disturbingly similar. If I could make another comparison, think of it like hiking trails. The longer and more complicated a trail is, the harder it is to take care of. As the trail "fades", it gets reformed slightly shorter every time simply because longer trails have a tendency to fade. The problem, though, is that these trails all exist on the same mountain, so while the possible trails are infinite, the actual number of trails is inherently limited.

>> No.4299155

Missed one, fixed now
>20) Hamburgers?
Staple food
>21) Square hamburgers or round?
Round- greater area per cost of side burger
>22) Blue balls
Actually grey
>23) Zit on my lip that has been there for weeks? Even though I popped it a few times
Micro-organism that has claimed your lip as its sovereign territory, immediately cease all acts of aggression
>24) Spiderman: friend or foe?
Both.
>25) Death? I never asked for it
Death is a myth perpetuated by normalfags
>26) Neanderthals. Can we fuck them and make babies? Should we bring them back?
Yes and yes, Neanderthals make excellent slaves.
>27) Would a meteor hitting the ocean cause it to freeze and all the animals to die?
Only if the meteor originated from a collision between a sun made out of ice and a sun made out of lava.
>28) Is the best time to cry really when cutting onions?
The best time is actually 5-10 minutes before you start cutting- it helps to be prepared
>29) Night time shit feel
Your sub-conscious telling you to fuck off.
>30) Alpha or beta?
epsilon is the only logical echelon in the social hierarchy.
>31) Africa : white man's fault?
You can blame the Huns for Africa
>32)Are humans really aliens? And there is a species in the ocean that is more intelligent than us and we are in space?
Yes, we are ancient aliens who stole Earth from the sea peoples.
>33) Muffin tops
Why not?
>34) Why do cats shit everywhere?
Insecurity issues
>35) Can I break my own neck? With my hands
Only if you were born an android
>36) Can I break any of my own bones with my hands?
That is an act of blasphemy against against the Khoisan tribes peoples gods.
>37) Can I die from learning too much?
Only if you take any nourishment during your study.
>38) Skyquakes?
All quakes are actually skyquakes that propagate to the ground, earthquakes are a myth.
>39) Sleep?
Overrated, only normalfags need sleep
>40) Rabbits? Celery?
No.

>> No.4299152

>>4299129
That's great. Thanks

>> No.4299158

>>4299155
You're the best. I appreciate it

>> No.4299165

>>4299158
You are most welcome sir.

>> No.4299176

>>4299149
>thoughts that are "dead ends" will simply die off.
You have some evidence to back this up? Because as far as I know unused memory is not extinguished, just not easily retrieved/activated.
So well, if you are too much "of all trades", you might not get any one in particular.

>> No.4299220

>>4299135
Both, actually.

The forces are actually all different degrees of space time curvature, observed at different scales. As the forces become smaller, they become increasingly harder to tell apart. But the forces beyond gravity are actually so broad and slow moving that they govern the movements of entire galaxies.

"Polarity" is a little bit more complicated, as objects which have opposite poles are simply objects that exist is reverse time-frames of each other. Electrons are actually Anti-Matter, but because the mass between the electron and the Proton is not equal, they are stuck in state where they are pushing away from each other, but in reverse. I can go into more detail on that if you want, but it gets more confusing and I won't do the best job of explaining it.

>> No.4299241

>>4299051

>Why can I hear a crunching sound in my ear when I try to?

Holy shit you're right. I haven't done this in ages, but I just did it now. It involved moving my tongue ever so slightly.

How?

>> No.4299248

>>4299176
>just not easily retrieved/activated.
Actually, yeah. That more or less is the evidence.

Basically, the space that was used to create those past thoughts are remolded so that it can be used to create new thoughts. It's like a small trail that is extending off of a larger trail. Thoughts, like trails, don't go a single direction so while it is possible to recover and find that trail, a good portion of it will have worn away. The gaps can be connected, but they won't be exactly the same as the trail was before.

Basically, it's not that your brain "forces" the memory to be forgotten (Unless it finds that the path is "dangerous", which is like negative reinforcement). It's just that it becomes cloudy. By all means, it's still capable of becoming a "functional" trail once again, but only if the brain has reason to do so. Otherwise, it will simply continue using other trails that are easier and shorter to walk on.

>> No.4299267
File: 1.84 MB, 304x268, 1327005205030.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do we know black holes are able to rip throughout time?

>> No.4299285
File: 9 KB, 299x285, chi-s-sweet-home.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4299176
As for evidence, I looked it up and just out that some already exists in your timeframe. Neat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

By the way, this field grows exponentially in the future. It changes A LOT of things.

>> No.4299305

>>4299176
Could you explain more about why gravity would be both? Is this true of any other forces?
More on polarity would also be appreciated.

>>4299176
See synaptic pruning. It not only happens over our lifetimes but also during sleep.

>> No.4299307

When are you from OP?

How are you communicating?

Will I ever get laid?

>> No.4299333
File: 25 KB, 986x762, holes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4299267
Mostly because singularities turn out to be one of two events;
1) Points at which time is "infinite".
2) Points at which time is "non-existent".

Basically, time only exists where there is a combination of both energy and mass. Proportionally speaking, the more energy there is in an object, the faster it will go through time. The more mass there is in an object, the slower it will go through time.

Two events happen (which unless observed correctly, are completely indistinguishable) to cause these events. Either the mass of a "particle" becomes so large, that nothing can escape from it. Alternatively, the energy of a particle will become so large that it's impossible to go towards it.

Think of it as the difference between a faucet and a drain. You can't get out of the drain, but you can't climb up the faucet.

>> No.4299349

Are you friends with John Titor? Or did he beat you up in high school?

>> No.4299357

>>4299307
>When are you from OP?
Sooner than you'd believe.

>How are you communicating?
Hell, I don't know. I didn't design the system. We're told different things all the time about how it works. I'll say this much; Whatever technology is letting me speak with you already exists in your time. And strangely enough, people in my time still don't know about how it works. Either 1 of 3 things is happening:
1) People simply don't know
2) The people that knew "quit existing"
3) The people who know have kept their mouths shut.
So while I've apparently not crossed that line yet, I'd rather not take my chances.

>Will I ever get laid?
I'm a highschool science teacher, not a genie.

>> No.4299366

many worlds or copenhagen

>> No.4299375

What's the origin of life?

>> No.4299398

>>4298953
>psychology
>future
pick one

>> No.4299427

>>4299398

>implying that advances in neuroscience won't blow our fucking minds

>> No.4299429

>>4299375
Crystalline structures, but it's a little bit more complex than just that. The "life" in my time period doesn't mean the same thing as "life" in your time. Instead, we view matter in terms of "Adaptability/Intelligence".

Like I was saying about how all of the forces in the universe are part of a single "force" identified on different scales, it turns out that "life" is the same way. The further back you go in history and the smaller it is, the harder it becomes to distinguish between "life" and "non-life". "Crystalline structures" is about as specific as I can get, just because even though we have ideas of which ones were there, we don't know which ones were actually "life" and which ones simply helped the process along.

It's a problem we find that arises all throughout the genetic history of earth, honestly. Hell, we don't even know whether males or females "evolved" first. All we know is that as soon as one showed up, the other one cropped up in the species very soon after and BAM! We got our first examples of gender. All we know is that the genetics for "gender" existed before gender itself became a reality.

>> No.4299432
File: 43 KB, 418x384, what_the_fuck3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4299398
>mfw when /sci/ derides psychology.
>mfw /sci/ tries to discuss anything having to do with perception, free-will, motivation, or the brain and fails miserably.

>> No.4299442

>>4299398
See >>4299427

I guess you could say psychology "dies off", but it's more like it became a beast of a different name. The art of trying to understand the human mind never went away.

>> No.4299450

>>4299442
yeah but it's called neuroscience....

>> No.4299455

Hi OP, about gauss's law

If I wanted to find the electric field on say a point on the x axis of a disk centered at the origin with a hole in it on the y-z plane, with inner radius r1 and outer radius r2, what would be an appropriate guassion surface to choose for such a problem?

or would guass's law not be easy to do for such a problem.

>> No.4299457

>>4299442
What happens to therapy and counseling? Do they die off and we just rely on medication?

>> No.4299472

>>4299442
Give me the name of one of the founders or pioneers to come from our current time period that led to those changes in the way psychology is conducted in your time...serious question, hopefully it is 'legal' for you to tell us

>> No.4299602

>>4299305
>More on polarity would also be appreciated.
Basically, polarity is actually a reverse in "time". The differences between Matter and Anti-Matter is that each one travels in time a different direction. Particles without polarity are essentially particles which are "timeless".

When Electrons and Protons interact, they are actually "pushing" away from each other. But because of this reverse in "time", pushing instead looks like pulling. Electrons are actually antimatter. The only reason the two never remain connected is because of their differences in mass (I remember learning why, but I can't remember what it was about the mass that made the difference). Anytime the electron combines with the proton, it instantaneously finds itself back on the outside of the shell. It's perpetually part of, but never attached to the proton.

Gravity's one I'm still really fuzzy on, but it's also a pushing force, caused by like-particles and their attempts to separate from each other. In a sense, black holes and quasars are the polar and opposite gravity particles, and that particles are like miniature whirlpools on a flowing current but I'd honestly have to look that all up again. It was never clearly explained to me.

>> No.4299704

>>4299472
>serious question, hopefully it is 'legal' for you to tell us
Let's put it this way;

In the future, we have no way of knowing who makes these discoveries in advance, and thus we don't know who to search for when we want answers to these questions.

The fact that we don't know in advance means:
1) People who were predicted to succeed failed
2) People who divulged the information "ceased to be".

While I DO know the names of these people (or most of them), I refuse to say their names. It's not that anything forbids me from doing it; it's just that the fact that it hasn't happened is a major red flag to me.

On an even stranger note, a lot of these discoveries or advancements are made by "the internet". In the weirder cases, the scientific consensus of academia suddenly found that large groups of people were aware of phenomena in advance, predicting things before mathematics even proved them.

Basically, it's not that I can't tell you. It's just that I'd much rather not. All I know is that telling people about scientific principles in advance doesn't seem to cause any issue, as I'm still doing so and it's not the first time something "interesting" came from the internet.

I don't believe that intuition is a reason to believe that something is true. But I have no plans of skydiving without a parachute, smoking crack, or divulging important names/events on the internet.

(It also helps that "history of psychology" isn't my strong point. Freud's the only pioneer that I remember learning about, but that was back in high-school.)

>> No.4299849

>>4299455
I've got some idea of what the answer is, but trust me, you're probably much better asking one of your professors. I went to Mizzou, and it wasn't exactly "math" oriented if you catch my drift.