[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 28 KB, 500x461, 131431864537.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4291310 No.4291310 [Reply] [Original]

In a thousand years from now will engineers and physicists still be taking the calc 1-3 sequence, along with differential equation and linear algebra, along with maybe a babby complex analysis class and some numerical/statistical methods?

At what point will all of that advanced math being studied at the graduate level find its way to being useful in an applied setting? When it does, will undergraduates be capable of studying it, or will four year degrees in the future become six or seven year degrees simply by the virtue of how much more advanced their undergrad math education will have to be?

>> No.4291329

I'm a professional engineer and I use most of it every day...

I design cooling systems for cars so there's loads of PDEs and diffusion equations to deal with.

>> No.4291331

>>4291329
Yes I realize you do but that wasn't my question.

At what point will be abstract topology or graph theory be integrated in the applied sciences? How will this effect the way in which applied sciences are taught at the undergraduate level?