[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 178 KB, 614x919, 24539790452d809bbdea260fd916..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4281737 No.4281737 [Reply] [Original]

/co/ here. do you guys hate this show too?

>> No.4281744

No, here at /sci/ we love BBT.

>> No.4281750

why does /co/ hate big bang theory?

>> No.4281757

No. I love it, it's hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tenm8ByNSTY

>> No.4281759

4/3 pi r3 is the volume of a sheer, right?

>> No.4281764

nope, i love BBT, it's funny

>> No.4281769

maybe you guys just don't understand the jokes

>> No.4281776

me and my wife watch it every wednesday. It's really funny, of course both of us are math/science majors and total nerds so that's why. I don't understand the hate, really

>> No.4281797

It's shit, yes. I may be a bit biased do to /v/, however.

>> No.4281803

>>4281797
due*

>> No.4281812

I find it amusing when I watch it, but I don't go out of my way to do so.

Only Sheldon and Penny are worth while characters, the others need to die in a grease fire.

Think...a futuristic "Little House on the Prairie" with a Gilligan+McGyver+Urkle crossover and a brain damaged Phoebe from "friends."

>> No.4281813

I fucking hated the show when it first came out, I was in grad school and I didn't need a TV show to make light of my otherwise crappy life in the bullshit factory that is academia.

But then I left grad school and now love the show. It's a good bridge between my gf and I. I laugh at the science jokes, she laughs at the normal jokes, by the end of the episode we're both happy.

>> No.4281815

it's a good show for a sitcom

the characters are over the top, but the basic character types are people I see in real life in an academic/scientific setting.

they also get a lot of little details right, about science, and about physics/engineering in a university setting in general.

>> No.4281816

/co/mrade here, /co/ often call BBT nerd blackface

I have the hypothesis that /co/ hates everyone that have the same interests but not the same level of hikikomori obsession.

here's some evidence, this is one of /co/'s favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyus5kz8wB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQTok05ufU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTAGIkYsAdY

>> No.4281814

I don't really hate it anymore, I'm just unbiased. There can be great episodes, but most of the times you can see the jokes coming from a mile away. They've just coated it in this "intellectual" atmosphere that doesn't do it justice imo.
Also, Wolowitz confirmed for God-tier

>> No.4281826

I dislike that they pause for the laughtrack and pretend like there is a studio audience.

>> No.4281828

>Sheldon, what are you doing?
>The scene quiets down. A few chuckles can be heard from the audience, who are all anticipating the joke. The birds stop crying. The wind dies down. Somewhere, a man is drinking coffee, and his cup freezes at his lips. In a far away location, a baby is born and does not cry. Sheldon blinks twice, and looks up toward Leonard.
>I'm watching some anime. It's Japanese for animation.
>The audience laughs uncontrollably. Everything in the world seems right. Nothing could ruin this moment.

Unfunny shit.

>> No.4281861

>>4281828

Make like a Gigabyte motherboard and stop POSTing.

>> No.4281870

back to /co/ with your pony faggotry please

>> No.4281878

I don't mind watching it, but I'm not a religious viewer.

Seriously, it's fucking television. I don't know why people go out of their way to hate it. Seriously, grow the fuck up.

>> No.4281887

>>4281878
>Seriously, it's fucking television. I don't know why people watch it. Seriously, grow the fuck up.

fix'd

>> No.4281894

"Hey Sheldon what are you doing?"
>The crowd begins shuffling in anticipation for the joke. A few random chuckles erupt within the audience.
"I'm watching Kaze no Stigma"
>Some laughs break out. Most of the crowd starts rumbling, pursing their lips together to keep themselves composed. A few can't help themselves and bits of spit fly from their mouths as they start to laugh.
"On VLC"
>Laughter erupts within the crowd. One rowdy man stands up and starts slamming his hands in on the chair in front. Another older citizen rolls out of her chair and lay on the floor, clutching her chest and struggling to catch a breath.
>"Dubbed"
A pregnant would tumbles from her chair and while being helped to stand, gives birth to a child, who is also in tears howling with laughter. The sound of laughter is so intense and so strong that it syncs with the very fibers of the studio, which begins to shake and rumble as its hinges move on their own. The police come to arrest the noisy crowd but get swept away in the humour and the laughter spreads until it infects the entire earth. The sound is so powerful that it transcends the void of space until it gathers the attention of alien life, who license the show for their own 7pm time slot on their home planet.

>> No.4281896

>>4281861
I'm laughing and crying at the same time. I always have to by 2 gigabyte motherboards at once, just so I have a replacement readily available.

thank god there are other manufacturers.

>> No.4281906

>>4281815

See, I agree. I watch it more for the characters, they're under-dogs in society and they have really cool lives in my opinion. Honestly, a lot of the comedy is pedantic. However, somehow I can vicariously live through these people.

I mean, come on. Who wouldn't love to be a physicist at a university with 3 really close, smart, not entirely socially awkward friends who live in a quaint apartment in California next to a gorgeous blonde girl?

>> No.4281918

"Hey Leonard..."
>The audience giggles.
"Hey Sheldon."
>Small laughs rise in anticipation.
"I've got a hangover bigger than the original X-Box..."
>There is silence. The set goes black. One lone face appears, illuminated by candlelight. It looks upwards, towards an unknowable heaven, and an even more mysterious Lord. The fifth Horseman, Comedy, rides rough over the plains, and trumpets the true end. Somewhere, a child is born, and does not cry, but instead laughs. A man on trial for murder laughs as the prosecution delivers expert testimony; the judge, while in the middle of chastising him, laughs as well. As does the family of the victim, and then the entire court. The victim, long dead and stiff with cold, laughs, muffled by the confines of the morgue shelf they are in. They are joined by many more muffled laughs. If they are alive, if only for one second, it is to laugh, and nothing more. A new constellation forms in the sky, and it forms the letters L, O, and L. Brighter than the moon, they shine down upon all providence, and all who see it know what makes the world. Not pain, or cold reason, but laughter. Pure laughter.

>> No.4281919
File: 8 KB, 136x188, are you serious.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

IT Crowd 2: Electric Boogaloo

Yet another shitty American ripoff of a great British show.

>> No.4281943

The laugh track can be bothersome at times, but I ultimately find the show enjoyable. I mean, the characters have the greatest lives.

>> No.4281967

ITT: people spend time actively complaining about a tv show and calling other people stupid for enjoying the show, never realizing how fucking sad it is by their own standards that they're wasting their time posting about said show

costanza.jpg

>> No.4281993

The last show where a soundtrack was somewhat appropriate was Seinfeld for Friends. That shit needs to go away. Also, I'm sick of "it's funny because I understand it" humor. The writing isn't clever, just rehashed, stale science jokes that you can see coming from a mile away. My last gripe is that as a grad student in physics, I have rarely encountered anyone that remotely resembles these characters in real life. The only time this show has ever influenced my life is when a relative or shitty undergrad says "hey you should watch TBBT. They're totally like you." Fuck you. No, they aren't.

>> No.4282005

>/sci/ liking BBT
Holy shit what the heck happen to you guys. Back when this board was created we hated this show for its shitty use of science and its obnoxious laugh track. Liking BBT wont make you sound smart btw.

>> No.4282015

>>4281828
>>4281894
>>4281918

I love these things lol I guess I'm so nerdy XD

>> No.4282016

>>4282005
I think it's half trolls.

>> No.4282025

I watch it for amusement, not for scientific enlightenment. As a result, it is quite amusing to have in the background. I always need to have something playing on the TV while I whittle away my life at the computer screen, be it BBT, Friends, Seinfeld, Burn Notice, even some anime. The laugh track is annoying, but it's not like I'm paying close attention to the show anyways. It entertains me and my needs, and that's all I need out of a sitcom.

>> No.4282040
File: 586 KB, 1454x2074, 1327195150856.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes. May it burn in a fire.

>> No.4282051

Not a fan, but I don't really like any TV sitcomes besides Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm anyway.

>> No.4282093
File: 6 KB, 200x152, Sheldon_Cooper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You know, this is one of the many shows that was done at it's 3rd or 4th season, like House(okay that was good till 5th, 6th if you can come up with just the right arguments) and Scrubs(should have ended at 6th season).

Season 5 they went on to make it into a complicated love tringle filled mess with averarching plots spanning more than one episode. They kinda started with this shit in season 4.
Season 3 was the last really good one.

They come up with these funny shows and have to add complicated drama stuff to light comedy to deepen the characters and whatnot. It is just keeping a show on lifesupport. I want deep drama I'll watch Bold and the Beautiful or Young and the Restless(and: yeah that'll be the day).

I love this show first 3 seasons, neither loved nor hated 4th season, now it's downhill and hated, and I doubt they'll get their spark back.

>> No.4282119

>>4282051
What do people see in Seinfeld anyway? The show sucks and his standup is... just... nothing.
You just know he gave head to the studio bosses for weeks on end to get his show.

>> No.4282126

>>4282119

Troll/12 years old

>> No.4282137

I also can't believe It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is still going strong. It's probably the worst show I have ever seen in my life.

>> No.4282140
File: 2.90 MB, 290x189, 1318501768957.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4282040

Thank you. That was extremely humorous.

>> No.4282157
File: 50 KB, 311x311, wonka.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4282119

>> No.4282166

>>4282119

I remember in a interview Larry David described what it was like hearing that NBC had liked the show and wanted to renew if for I think its second season. He said he broke down crying when he realized he would have to go through all the effort to write 20 more episodes.

>> No.4282220

>>4282119
Some of the humor lies in what awful people Jerry and his friends are, particularly George and Elaine.

>> No.4282276
File: 418 KB, 1100x797, Andromeda.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You are always going to run into the guy who wants to be the "cool geek" and therefore will never accept this show because it is degrading to him/her.

These people are easy to spot, they are the ones who seem to despise the show on some personal level, and they have a hard time understanding how anyone can relate to the characters (quite strongly even) and find the show a refreshing outlook on the mundane social interactions of every day life, as well as (YES I'LL SAY IT) some easter eggs for the astute viewer who is familiar with science. I've seen many accurate physics equations in that show, as well as the show bringing some fairly interesting concepts to people who might otherwise never hear of them.

Do you think it makes you sound smarter by pointing out that the show isn't "highly intellectual"?
Because that is PAINFULLY obvious of ANY show, just based on the fact that it is on the air! That is a given, shows must cater to the average viewer.
However, if you doubt that it contains some very intellectual content then you have not given it a chance, or maybe you really aren't as smart as you think you are, but just keep in mind that they are more like "easter eggs" than the actual point of the show.

It's like futurama. If you don't think futurama contains some VERY intellectual content as well then you haven't looked closely enough.