[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 7 KB, 206x245, images-7..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4265459 No.4265459 [Reply] [Original]

[spoiler]Through the wormhole...does sci watch it? I watched some and the ones on time and dark holes were the craziest for me.</spoiler>

>> No.4265465

[spoiler]I don't mean to sound like a massive douchebag or anything, and I do appreciate shows like this for what they do (popularize science and all), but without talking about and seeing the math involved, all you're doing is watching some CG stuff whiz by the screen while people attempt to translate things into simple english for entertainment purposes.

You really don't come out of shows like this 'knowing' anything more than you did. All you get are talking points to bring up to friends while those who know how difficult these things really are roll their eyes.</spoiler>

>> No.4265470

[spoiler]>>4265465

But Morgan Freeman does pull of that God voice really well.</spoiler>

>> No.4265478

[spoiler]>>4265465

The purpose of the show isn't to bore people with chalkboards full of jargon, it's to get the average viewer interested in the subject with mindfucks. It does the job quite well, and it's better than most shit on tv</spoiler>

>> No.4265484

[spoiler]When they were talking about time travel, and that one old British guy said that to travel backwards in time you would have to take an infinite amount of infinitely decreasing fractional steps, I was like LOL</spoiler>

>> No.4265494

[spoiler]>>4265478

It's entertainment... nothing more.

If Chalkboards full of math and jargon are boring, perhaps it's not the right subject then. You only feel like you've learned something, but you really haven't. The stuff you come out with is no more useful than the many narratives of any other show.

If the purpose of the show is to entertain, great. But these shows always come with the guise that by watching them you'll learn something. Nope.</spoiler>

>> No.4265507
File: 3 KB, 85x126, 1313650605245s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

[spoiler]>>4265484

Challenge accepted</spoiler>

>> No.4265518

[spoiler]>>4265494
It's entertainment, sure. But it isn't just that.
It incentivizes the general populace to acknowledge scientific breakthroughs, and for more people to be science-minded, specially those of young age. I see this not just as entertainment, but more of a report on science today and in the possible future. Sure, they do not know the hard maths behind it, but they are aware of it.

From what I can from your posts, you have a bigger issue with people pretending to know shit they do not, rather than the show itself.</spoiler>

>> No.4265521
File: 1.83 MB, 200x200, tim-eric-carl-sagan.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

[spoiler]pic related</spoiler>

>> No.4265532

[spoiler]>>4265518
moarliek brianwashing amirite?</spoiler>

>> No.4265562

[spoiler]>>4265518

Hmmm... Those are valid points.

I accept them. Forgive my aspergers.</spoiler>