[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 51 KB, 517x307, Breaking Bad - Tuco Salamanca.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4263126 No.4263126 [Reply] [Original]

[spoiler]So /sci/

I'm taking organic chemistry next semester and I want to make 100% pure crystal and MDMA. Or close to it.

Will getting an A or B in ochem give me enough lab experience to create these chemicals with out blowing myself up?

What should I pay attention to most in organic chemistry.

Also, Drug Chemistry General.</spoiler>

>> No.4263140

[spoiler]im taking it too OP. and i love drugs. i would synthesize some but im afraid of prison time due to nosey neighbors.</spoiler>

>> No.4263143

[spoiler]If you are financially stable, living in a decent place, have a decent life.
Don't be fucked with it.
It is a lot of hassle to get a proper hiding place and then to move all the chemicals and everything.</spoiler>

>> No.4263152

[spoiler]>>4263143
I want to do it out of curiosity and for personal use. I hate dealing with drug dealers. Tired of cut shit.

I was thinking breaking bad style in a camper or just renting a house with no neighbors for at least several hundred feet.</spoiler>

>> No.4263177

[spoiler]You should pay attention to everything, OP. Not the things you think you'll find useful. Everything. Absorb any and all information you can get, and you'll know when you have enough.</spoiler>

>> No.4263182

[spoiler]Also, Meth will fuck over your brain. Stick to Mr. MDMA. He knows what he's doing.</spoiler>

>> No.4264346

[spoiler]Bump</spoiler>

>> No.4264367

[spoiler]A course in Ochem will give you more than enough information to produce MDMA and Methamphetamine, although keep in mind that you (or anyone else for that matter) will ever make a 100% pure substance. Impurities are unavoidable.

That said, pay attention to EVERYTHING. You never know what useful tidbit will come in enourmously handy and save you from burning your face off etc. It's important that drug manufacture be looked at not as copying some recipe instructions to bake a cake, and more like an actual synthesis, where theoretical understanding is just as important</spoiler>

>> No.4264461

[spoiler]Has anyone ever made any of these?</spoiler>

>> No.4264498

[spoiler]So let me get this straight. You want to make crystal meth using chemistry knowledge obtained in o-chem.

So.... instead of a satisfying and possibly lucrative career that industrial chemistry could give you (or medicine, or any of the other career paths that require this remarkably difficult class) you want to either:

A. Nuke your brain and all of its o-chem-passing potential by taking this shit and fucking your life up.

or

B. Sell that shit. In which case your dumbass (and your lack of common sense is clear given the fact you are asking FUCKING 4CHAN) will get caught and then subsequently raped wide open in jail.

What the fuck, OP....</spoiler>

>> No.4264499

[spoiler]Erowid actually posted an archived file on someone's synthesis step. Uses Wacker Oxidation Reactions and some amine synthesis from what i remember. But everything starts with saffron oil.
I'm studying Chemical Engineering, and so far it seems like my learning hasn't been all about tubes, but has been about "holy shit, i could become a moonshiner or drug manufacturer and build/design all the equipment for massive operations"</spoiler>

>> No.4264516

[spoiler]>>4264499
also, I made an A in my first semester of OChem as well, and it didnt really mean shit other than that i can memorize reactions. Your lab grade is the most important.

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor. As was said previously, the chemical industry is just as lucrative dollar-wise, and still legal. Consider getting an underground bunker for synthesis and a reliable, steady source of ingredients without getting red-flagged by the DEA.</spoiler>

>> No.4264524

[spoiler]Even if you learn all the reactions necessary to understand a forward synthesis for MDMA, you almost certainly, no infact you definitely won't have the experience to do actually do it. Even if you're incredibly resourceful an manage to work out how to do stuff like working under an inert atmosphere without anyone showing you, you'll almost certainly get to a stage where you do a reaction and have no idea how to seperate your product from your left over reagents.

If you want to be a competent synthetic chemist before you're post-grad or post-doc , you should try to find holiday work for it. lots universities will have academics looking for interns to help on projects over the summer. if you're lucky you'll be able to pick their brains on the nitty-gritty side of synthetic chemistry that you can't get just from opening a textbook.</spoiler>

>> No.4264530

[spoiler]Having a complete theoretical understanding of what you're doing/why you're doing it is infinitely better than just following a procedure you find somewhere.

However, hands-on experience with synthesis is what makes someone an expert at bench top chemistry - it will teach you to recognize all of the little things you might not otherwise notice, and become intimately familiar with the reactions you will be doing.</spoiler>

>> No.4264533

[spoiler]>>4264498
>instead
that's a faulty assumption. Who said he isn; also considering a career as a chemist for pfizer or whatever? He's just an undergrad anyway. Let him inulge the idea for a while, have his fun. I'm sure most chemistry students have toyed with the idea for a while.</spoiler>

>> No.4264534

[spoiler]>>4264524
Won't we have practice in the Ochem lab? It's fucking 6 hours long every week.</spoiler>

>> No.4264559
File: 17 KB, 251x212, 211.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

[spoiler]>>4264534

> lab practice</spoiler>

>> No.4264589

[spoiler]>>4264534
You'll probably get a set of instructions. You'll follow the instructions. You'll realise that most of the instructions are not concerned with the principal reaction you're investigating, they're to do with obtaining a pure product. These instructions like "wash out 3 times with 20 cm^3 of ether" were, in my exprience, not provided with any explanation, because the practical wasn't designed to give you knowledge of the nitty-gritty sutff, it was designed to give you experience of doing a friedl-crafts acylation (for example). Simply doing the labs probably won;t give you the experience to decide for yourself "now what solvent should I use for this reaction" or "which solvent would be best to sperate my product from my unwanted reagents?"

Classroom theory might help you make a decent guess about what could work based on "hur dis is more polar than dis" but it could easily be wrong for no predictable reason then you've lost all your product.

The most helpful thing you could do during your labs is ask the demonstrator why you do each of the seperation steps and why you use that chemiscal or that technique rather than something else. Although I wouldn;t be surprised if the demonstrators don't really know themslves, or only know some of the time.</spoiler>

>> No.4264611

[spoiler]>>4264589
My Ochem lab professor has a PHD and she was my general chem teacher. She'll answer any questions, or did in gen chem.

So I should pester her about every step that isnt explained?</spoiler>

>> No.4264694

[spoiler]>>4264611
You'll probably obtain the experience necessary to look up a forward synthesis and do it by yourself faster if you try to understand the steps involved with seperating products fomr unwanted reagents.

But you're probably just going to annoy her if you do. If you want to make MDMA, you can probably find a series of explicit instructions on the internet for its synthesis. Infact that would almost definitely be more successful than you trying to make it yourself using your own judgment.</spoiler>

>> No.4265918

[spoiler]Anyone made drugs after taking ochem?</spoiler>

>> No.4265953
File: 86 KB, 528x600, 1303278143422.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

[spoiler]>>4263126
>chemistry
>drugs

Please just go kill yourself now.
Wait, first kill your parents for the shit just they did raising you.</spoiler>

>> No.4265987

[spoiler]>>4264589
> Although I wouldn;t be surprised if the demonstrators don't really know themslves, or only know some of the time.
Frequently, the answer is, "because it's the cheapest and easiest, and we don't care about getting industrial-level yields."</spoiler>