[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 45 KB, 569x599, 1326768754766..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4261965 No.4261965 [Reply] [Original]

Greetings /sci/ I come to you from /fit/. I realize that you guys are the most academically successful people on this website, and so I come to you seeking help. Im a smart kid, and In high school I never really had to try. So far, college has been even easier, and as a result, the very weak work ethic that I developed in high school has gotten even weaker, or ceased to exist. Do not get me wrong, I love learning, and one of the reasons I was successful at all is because I genuinely thought that school was fun. I imagine at least some of you on this board can understand what I'm talking about. However, even though college is easy so far, I have fallen into a severe cycle of procrastination, and struggle to stay motivated to do schoolwork. I have this mentality that everything will be easy for me because that's the way things were in high school, I just never really had to try. It has dawned on me that this mentality might be a little too cocky, and that I probably should sit down and get my work done, but I just can't get myself motivated.

I apologize if this post sounds a little pretentious, but I do not wish to be stereotyped as some "asphalt idiot" from /fit/ who thinks they are smart, or just some lazy kid who makes excuses. I humbly ask anyone on this board to share some tips on staying focused, and not getting distracted when studying. Even the brightest students have subjects that they do not wish to study and I hope some of you have some experience on this matter....

>> No.4261979

>I realize that you guys are the most academically successful people on this website

The people on this board are the most arrogant, pompous shitheads who think they're smarter than everyone else on the planet.

>> No.4261980

>>4261965

Stimulants. That or autopilot. You know when you're doing your work, but it's just kind of plug and chug? Yeah, that stuff.

Or find ways to make it exciting. Do a "Pavlov's Dog" thing; every time you study sociology, have sex with a chick, or drink, etc. Maybe you'll associate that pleasure with effort in school.

>> No.4261988

>>4261979
That might be true, I don't really spend time on this board so I wouldn't know but who else would I ask? /b/? /v/? think about that for a second

>>4261980
I can really relate to the "plug and chug" once I get started I kick ass, but it's getting started thats the issue

>> No.4261996

>>4261988

If you're reasonably wealthy, try pretending you have ADD. Go see a psychologist and while you're taking the test they administer start talking about your dog or something, and answer the questions they ask sporadically but correctly.

They'll probably start you on 30 mg Concerta, but if you bitch they'll raise it.

>> No.4262020 [DELETED] 
File: 39 KB, 562x437, 1292559890554.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4261980
>every time you study sociology, have sex with a chick

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.4262024

>>4261965
1. writing this is enough of a reason to get you banned of this board >high school
2. /sci/ is not >>>/adv/
3. you're ruining /sci/ when you start threads like this

anyway i'm going to answer you because you may be stupid but you seem like a nice guy

everybody has this problem there are 2 ways out of it
1. don't do anything about it and get a grade based on what you remember from class
2. turn off the computer open the book and place it on the desk. start reading you'll get tired after 5-10 minutes or so, then you take a break it would be hard to start to read again and don't do it if you don't feel like it
just don't start doing anything else before you've read the book
think only about the book it would be easy to get distracted but eventually all the distractions will fade and suddenly the book will seem the most interesting thing you can do

the way i study is that i watch online lectures
and then do the reading from the book

>> No.4262031

>>4262024

THIS!

Fucking faggots flooding in asking us for emotional support.

>> No.4262035

>>4262024
Wow, that actually helpful.

However your a huge faggot because you obviously did not read my post before you tried to call me a high school student. Im 20, and I was using my high school experiences as an example.

>> No.4262038

>>4262035

What does any of whatever he did'nt read have to do with science or math you fool.

>> No.4262040

>>4262031
your also a faggot. I'm not asking for any emotional support. I was just looking for a quick tip to help me kick a bad habit.

But whatever, one good answer is good enough. Im out

>> No.4262041

>>4261965
that 19 year old faggot looks like a cheap tool in a suit he bought at sears. the internet can't be serious for poorfags like him or you OP!

>> No.4262047

>>4262040

Yeah faggot go study, you couldn't figure that out yourself? All the bullshit you typed you could of been studying.

>> No.4262055

Change majors to something that isn't a joke, for starters.

Scheduling "work time" helps me stay focused on the task at hand. For instance. from 9am-1230pm M/W is homework time. i don't open facebook, or 4chan, or play video games, or anything else. Since I'm working on research (algebraic geometry) there will never be a time where I won't have something to work on even if all my standard homework is done. Similarly, you could work on some challenging open ended task related to whatever it is you are studying to ensure your work time is always filled with actual work.

If you're from /fit/ I assume you have some modicum of discipline and can stick to a schedule (I treat my workouts the same way I treat schoolwork and stick to the schedule very strictly (and same for the diet!)). If I don't schedule things I don't do them because I'm fucking lazy.