[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 179 KB, 640x360, 640px-Rainbow_dash_nuke_explosion.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4239608 No.4239608 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/,

how accurate is the terminator 2 scene with the nuke going off? (if you're unfamiliar/for reference, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQz91Cx0Ato))

i'm aware that there's an intense burst of initial IR/visible light from x-ray scattering, but is it really enough to ignite skin tissue, trees, and free debris?

also, what exactly are the mechanics of the shock wave/extreme pressure of a nuclear explosion? what is the cause? the amount of energy donated into this 'blast' is incredible; i don't quite understand how x-rays/free neutrons and nuclear fragments can spark such a thing.

thanks in advance.

>> No.4239613

ive also wondered what causes the shock wave. since unlike normal bombs, there is no gas that expands suddenly in the bomb.

>> No.4239628 [DELETED] 

>mfw these people didn't just climb into a fridge

>> No.4239633 [DELETED] 

>>4239628
lol @ ur thread getting deleted

>> No.4239640

>>4239608

>how accurate is the terminator 2 scene with the nuke going off? (if you're unfamiliar/for reference, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQz91Cx0Ato))
Pretty inaccurate overall.

>i'm aware that there's an intense burst of initial IR/visible light from x-ray scattering, but is it really enough to ignite skin tissue, trees, and free debris?
It's the enormous amount of heat generated by the explosion that ignites everything, not the radiation per se.

>also, what exactly are the mechanics of the shock wave/extreme pressure of a nuclear explosion? what is the cause? the amount of energy donated into this 'blast' is incredible; i don't quite understand how x-rays/free neutrons and nuclear fragments can spark such a thing.
When you split atoms, the energy that was locked inside the subatomic structure of the atom is released and the bits of atom that you created fly around and rip apart more atoms. The shock wave is just produced by the rapid heating of the surrounding air.

>>4239613
shockwaves are just waves of high pressure moving through the atmosphere because of rapid heating. any bomb will produce a shockwave if it ignites in a fluid.

>> No.4239668 [DELETED] 

>>4239633
>implying i made a thread

>> No.4239680

I always loved that scene. Yes, it is accurate for the most part assuming that the playground was within 2 miles or so of the impact site (which is difficult to tell), and the bomb was sufficiently large enough. It's surprising as it's pretty much the only real 'simulation' available within the blast site.

The initial pulse of visible light will blind anyone who happens to be looking at the impact site (literally, corneal damage and permanent blindness)

IR is emitted from gamma ray scattering within the localized ball of plasma formed from the fission/fusion reaction. It is enough to ignite flesh and any other burnable substance (if it will burn from a regular fire, it will burn). On the typical H-bomb, the actual combustion effect will typically extend about 2.5km; anything farther will just experience intense heat from same IR (inverse square law applies here!). Also, Einstein’s photoelectric effect takes place here too, and any metals present will have an incredibly high voltage induced within them. In this scene, she is grabbing onto the fence and shaking back and forth presumably from electrocution at the time before the blast. They did some extensive research.

Within the impact site, all materials are vaporized from either the plasma or flat out combustion. Free gasses and particles rise from the pressure, and form a very hot vortex and mushroom cloud with convection-like effects.

After the formation of plasma, the magnetohydrodynamic stability will vastly decrease as the nuclear fuel is consumed. The incredibly high energy particles, now no longer at the mercy of the fission/fusion reaction, will shoot out to preserve entropy. They hit other particles, and cause an avalanche of gas molecules, which you witness as the shock wave.