[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 12 KB, 305x340, ps06b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4238888 No.4238888 [Reply] [Original]

Any logic fags here?

I took a CS class and "introduction to modern logic" and I just started my 400-level class on modal and predicate logic.

What is /sci/s outlook on logic? I know they hate philosophy.

>> No.4238924
File: 3 KB, 421x237, Kurt Gödel 1293928451682.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I took a 400 level Mathematical Logic course (in my math department) last year only because all other courses ended up filling up (and a professor kept insisting I should take it) and ended up loving every moment of it...

>> No.4238925

>>4238888
>What is /sci/s outlook on logic? I know they hate philosophy.

Depends is this a
>Mathematics course
Great
>CS course
lol, too stupid for <span class="math">[/spoiler]>Real Mathematics
>Philosophy course
So you're taking circle jerking atheist 101?

>> No.4238937

Didn't like it very much.

/thread

>> No.4238939

Only had intro last year but I didn't find it really interesting. It's mostly just mechanic trivial stuff that a computer can do.

>> No.4238961

>>4238939
If the most advance thing you learn was De Morgan law then that wasn't logic. Logic is stuff like Compactness, König's lemma, Soundness, Completeness, and Incompleteness...

>> No.4238969

I loved it. At my college you could count it as a math, philosophy, or English course, because it has applicability in all those areas. I think everyone should have to take it. Can you imagine how much time we could save in this world if people learned to stop using logical fallacies in their arguments? I get so frustrated when someone makes an argument and I tell them it doesn't follow logically. Then they don't understand and I'm stuck explaining it to them.

>> No.4239079

Took intro to logic last semester as a gen ed. Enjoyed it.

>> No.4239087

that godel faggot seemed to enjoy it

one day i might get around to learning it to understand the turing machine & halting problem

>> No.4239112

It's very exciting to learn there are rules, a proper structure to discuss disagreements with and learn some philosophy to apply.

Then it's very disappointed to realize most folks are ignorant of logic, used to relying on fallacious reasoning, and you'd have to teach them the basics of logic (which they've no interest in knowing) before talking about a specific truth had any chance of resulting in a consensus reached through reason and fine points.

I've found it doesn't matter how right you are or how well you prove yourself right: the person you're talking to will not be persuaded unless he wants to be persuaded. A man can not be convinced of the truth against his will. Everyone, myself included, has invested ourselves in certain beliefs so we will not analyze their integrity lest a greater structure of our motive force collapse.

As alien as this concept may be to you, who seek the truth, some people want to be ignorant.

>> No.4239118

>>4238961
> De Morgan's law
> Not logic

Sure is logical in here.

>> No.4239123

>>4239112
This post pretty much explains what is wrong with fol these days.

I'm actually against democracy for this sole reason. But we don't really have a good substitute at the moment.

>> No.4239131

>>4239112
More often than not, it's a long step to take from real world problem to formal logics. A step you're likely to make mistakes in if you do it in your head. Perhaps it's you who is not seeing the full picture then insist on that you're right when your formal logical is flawed.

tl;dr: Aspie mode unlocked.

>> No.4239150

>>4238925

> Discussing religion
> In philosophy
> The field with probably most theists

Must feel good to go to a sub-tier university, I take it?

>> No.4239151

lrn2topos

>> No.4239155

>>4239131
What I meant isn't that I have formal debates with people and fail to convince them. I try to introduce logic into an argument and find the guy I'm talking to doesn't know an appeal to the majority (for example) is fallacious reasoning.

>> No.4239183

I've had a logic class introducing me to propositional and predicate logic. I found it very interesting, but have not found a good use for it.
Propositional logic is really basic, and is quite limited. Predicate logic (it's sequence) is more explaining in a mathematical view. It let's you express formula's more detailed. Some of the laws seemed confusing, but if you have little trouble with maths it shouldn't be too hard.

>> No.4239190

useful if you're studying pure maths
slightly handy if you're doing physics
most other subjects aren't going to use it that much though

>> No.4239203

Its handy for describing difficult concepts in computer science, and
defining constraints, invariants etc