[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 73 KB, 300x301, consider the following.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4237977 No.4237977 [Reply] [Original]

If the Large Hadron Collider could, in theory, create [tiny] black holes, than we could also, theoretically, produce [tiny] white holes. If we can master the technology, could it perhaps be turned into a weapon for warfare? Alternatively, we could use these as a defense mechanism against event impacts.

Thoughts?

>> No.4237985

Anythings theorhetically possible.

The LHC is there to supply evidence. We're still waiting on most of it.

Now, "if" we master black hole technology, then yes, it obviously has practical uses. Of course... we have to get passed the theory-phase...

>> No.4237988

>>4237977
The LHC can't theoretically create black holes, and we don't even know if white holes exist.

>> No.4237997

>>4237988

>Plank's particles

if this shit generates enough heat, it will.

>> No.4238014

>>4237985

While I personally believe just about anything is possible, I think we will have built Dyson spheres across the Milky Way long before we can even begin meddling with black holes. Heck, we're more likely to find and transverse worm holes long before humanity can even begin thinking about playing with space's most bizarre entities.

>> No.4238232

While we're pretty sure how black hole comes to existence, I was under impression that we have absolutely no idea how to go about creating a white hole.

Also, the very idea baffles me. How can be there something that just barfs out matter from nothing?

>> No.4238250

>>4238232
Well, the basic problem is that black holes are time-reversible; i.e. if you take the black-hole solution and reverse time (creating a "white hole" where objects are forced to come out rather than forced to go in), then it also satisfies the einstein field equations of general relativity. However, the simplest black hole solutions we work with (e.g. the Schwarzchild metric) assume that the black hole is stationary - i.e. it lasts forever. The general agreement among theorists, at the moment, is that white holes are probably impossible to create unless they existed from the beginning of the universe.

>> No.4238709

>>4238250
This kind of reversibility is an unsound assumption. It may make sense mathematically, but These spontaneous reversals don't happen anywhere in the real world.

I've only ever heard of white holes from crackpots trying to justify pseudoscience.