[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 23 KB, 500x374, graphic-happiness-intelligence-Favim.com-164830_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4235100 No.4235100 [Reply] [Original]

http://lifehacker.com/5483797/the-evolutionary-reason-for-depression

>two evolutionary psychologists theorize that depression's purpose is enhanced mental skills.
>Several studies found an increase in brain activity (as measured indirectly by blood flow) in the VLPFC (ventrolateral prefrontal cortex which is the part of our brain that controls what we pay attention to) of depressed patients.
>The downcast mood and activation of the VLPFC are part of a "coordinated system" that, Andrews and Thomson say, exists "for the specific purpose of effectively analyzing the complex life problem that triggered the depression."
>sadness promotes "information-processing strategies best suited to dealing with more-demanding situations."

Especially this: one survey found that
>successful individuals were eight times as likely as people in the general population to suffer from major depressive illness.

So this is why intelligent people are so sad. Depression seems to be essential for the good of the mankind.

>> No.4235110 [DELETED] 
File: 180 KB, 1600x1200, 87564_summer_glau36_122_45lo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism

>> No.4235116

>>4235100

>evolutionary psychology

nothing to see here

move along

>> No.4235154

>>4235116
Depression's beneficiary effect on the brain was found with STUDIES. Though you're probably never heard of them.

The hypothesis that those evolutionary psychologists made for the cause of this finding was NOT the key aspect of the article.

>> No.4235162

maybe intelligent people are sadder because they have taken the time to reason and find out that our universe kinda sucks.

>> No.4235166

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rank_theory_of_depression

>> No.4235237

The point seems sound. If you're stupid, all you need is a few thousands $ per month to be happy, but some intelligent people can have all the money in the world and still be unhappy with it.

Intelligent people interested in politics must make up the majority in suicide rates.

>> No.4235247 [DELETED] 
File: 19 KB, 343x377, 1309319083290.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4235100
Holy shit, as an armchair neuroscientist that just blew my mind.

>> No.4235267

This is an example of reverse inference. I think it is much more likely that the increased activity in vantrolateral prefrontal cortex is the result of decreased striatal dopaminergic projection strength. Projections from the striatum to the VLPFC have an inhibitory effect, and striatal hypofunctioning is associated with depression. More activity does not necessarily mean better function. It could also mean less efficient functioning.

This idea is backed up by the fact that depression is generally associated with lower working-memory capacity and decreased executive function.*

>successful individuals were eight times as likely as people in the general population to suffer from major depressive illness.
Success does not equate to intelligence. This is inherently confounded by stress, which is a known catalyst of depression.

*http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002239560400041X

>> No.4235277

Only reason P versus NP hasn't been solved? Nobody has been sad enough. It's going to take one sad mother fucker.

>> No.4235280

>>4235267

success actually does equate to intelligence.

>> No.4235284 [DELETED] 
File: 62 KB, 396x388, 1325569143653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4235267
I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

I love you, CNS.

>> No.4235298

>>4235284
:)

>> No.4235317 [DELETED] 

>>4235298
Oh, CNS. While you're here, I have a question. Would you happen to know if adderall or stimulants that are generally known for increasing blood flow to the PFC, like caffeine (I think), has any negative impact on creativity?

Reason being, I have ADD (or some variation thereof) and I'm really worried that my creative abilities, which I pride myself in, will be diminished by altering my brain structure with such therapies, medicinal and otherwise.

So would you happen to know, or is creativity too vaguely defined for you to answer concretely?

>> No.4235324

does this mean that trying hard to be successfull and becoming successfull will not make me happy?

>> No.4235345

>>4235317
>is creativity too vaguely defined for you to answer concretely?
Well, yes, but that being said, dopaminergic / noradrenergic agonists like Ritalin or Adderall are not known to cause any long-term (or short term) cognitive deficiencies in people with chronic dopaminergic hypofunction (like people with ADD). I think it'll be fine.

Just so you know though, I'm not licensed to give any kind of medical advice. I only do research. If you're concerned, see your doctor.

>> No.4235371

>no proof that increased VLPFC activity is related to high intelligence

BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
BEGGING THE QUESTION
GAY

>> No.4235376 [DELETED] 

>>4235345
> I'm not licensed to give any kind of medical advice.
I know, I just like to pick your brain when you're around.

Follow up question, in the recent past dopamine was widely thought to be largely concerned with pleasure and reward, but now it seems to be coming out, like from Robert Sapolsky and such, that it has a lot more to do with anticipation. What are your thoughts? What do you think the role(s) of dopamine is/are?

>> No.4235423

>>4235376
The thing about neuromodulators such as dopamine is that they have a myriad of functions. The effect the specific molecule has (there are even multiple types of dopamine) crucially depends on the receptor it binds to. There are five known dopamine receptors which can be grouped into two classes. Whereas D1-like receptors are excitatory, D2 like receptors have exactly the opposite effect.

So the precise role which a particular dopaminergic neuron plays in cognition depends on a number of things. One: the type of dopamine it excretes; Two: the type of receptors the cell it projects to has, Three: the relation the projected-to area has within the network (and this part gets very complex).

Dopamine has been implicated in reward, and that notion is firmly backed up by evidence, but it has also been implicated in (like I hinted at in my first post in this thread) working memory and executive function. Aside from that it's involved in motor-function (for instance Parkinson's is a disorder in which dopamine producing cells die off). That's probably not the end of the list, because new things are being discovered every day.

In short, there's no one-to-one mapping of molecule to function, but it depends on the specific brain region and the local environment the molecule acts on.

Hope this helps.

>> No.4235439 [DELETED] 
File: 3 KB, 128x128, 1309066291282.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4235423
thank you, you're the best! :)

>> No.4235442

>>4235439
No problem, hope that made sense.

>> No.4235447

>>4235267
>all of my wat

Holy shit, you know your stuff brah. Even if some parts is medical mumbo-jumbo, it's a mighty fine post.

>> No.4235476
File: 71 KB, 640x479, 1307139915834.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Then it's decided, i will do nothing with my life, quit my job, dump my girlfriend, become a recluse and fuck my life up, so that i can then become an evil gen- I mean genius. A normal one, not an evil one.

>> No.4235479 [DELETED] 

>>4235442
No, definitely. I'm sure you guessed from my questions, I'm not an expert, but I'm probably a little more well-versed than the average /sci/duck.

Neuroscience was actually my major before I decided college wasn't for me. Even though I'm not in school anymore I still read up on studies and such. That's why I love talking with you.

Keep being awesome.

>> No.4235490

>>4235447
>you know your stuff brah
I hope so, that's why they pay me.
>some parts is medical mumbo-jumbo
Sorry, I tend to do that. What I meant to say was that the region of the brain which is dysfunctional in depression, also puts the brake on the VLPFC (in which they found increased activity). On top of that, depression is associated with a number of cognitive dysfunctions associated with the VLPFC like working memory and executive function.

>> No.4235498

>>4235479
thanks, you too!

>> No.4235519

Wait, this doesnt suggest that depression is necessary for intelligence, or whatever neurological traits. It just means people with these traits are depressed. Its possible that this subgroup of the population wasnt depressed at some point in history, or maybe even all of history up until now.

>> No.4235544

That's not really news, but more like mainstream news coming to this realisation.

It was pretty clear that vulnerability to stress is likely to enhance pattern perception and the people who have the executive function to organise those patterns into abstractions are likely to have higher intelligence.

Search and read on low latent inhibition, for example. But also on the link reduced sexual dimorphism, vulnerability to stress and intelligence.

>> No.4235545 [DELETED] 

>>4235519
My theory is that they are not evolutionarily advantageous at all, but in fact it's just a semi-common brain defect that results in depression which slightly increases intelligence essentially as a result of the "brain damage".

Which is why you autistic savants and geniuses with aspergers. The brain is the only place where malfunction can lead to "new function".

I'd love to hear CNS's take on my theory, see if it holds any water.

>> No.4235547

I find that being successful generally makes me happy. Not sure if other people experience this.

>> No.4235565

>>4235545

I guess I kind of agree, but I would prefer not to suggest people with depression are disorderly in anyway. People are over diagnoses as is. I basically dont believe that people with many mental illnesses are disorderly at all, and rather that society has become disorderly, or difficult to live in.

But I certainly believe in a plurality of brain function, and what you said about dysfunction becoming new function is interesting.

>> No.4235568 [DELETED] 

>>4235545
Wow, I accidentally some of that. I need to get some sleep.

>> No.4235597

>>4235545
I could attempt an answer, but frankly, it would be nothing more than well informed speculation. To my knowledge though, depression is not associated with high intelligence. I have never seen a demonstration of a <span class="math">causal[/spoiler] link between depression and high intelligence. Something like that would have to be demonstrated (which is methodologically very difficult) before the following claim can be made:
>depression's purpose is enhanced mental skills.

In fact, the evidence I am aware of points to quite the opposite (e.g. the article I linked to earlier).
>a semi-common brain defect that results in depression which slightly increases intelligence
The same would go for this claim ;)

>> No.4235615

>>4235568
>>4235565

No problem, I am running on 3 hours sleep. I accidentally as well

>> No.4235632

>>4235597
Well, who would study that directly. Most studies on intelligence are meant to show some kind of an educative correlation, like that between personality traits and intelligence.

Very rarely studies focus on a link between a negative mental health outcome and something usually presented as socially desirable, like intelligence. For example, it's a common place in the literature that low dimorphism/gender nonconformism is associated with increased risk of mental illness. But also with increased scores on intelligence tests: http://qmul.academia.edu/QaziRahman/Papers/742305/Gender_Nonconformity_Intelligence_and_Sexual_Orien
tation

So this "finding" is hardly something new.

>> No.4235720

So, the ubermenchs are depressed androgynous autists, but with blond hairs and blue eyes?

>> No.4235741

>>4235267
This especially your second point about the correlation with successful people and depression. Not only does the correlation not strongly suggest causation; it is a fallacy of induction to say that they are successful and depressed, therefore the depression caused the success.

Success could cause depression
They could be a statistical anomaly
The sample size could be too small
They could have nothing to do with each other at all and this study could be junk science

>> No.4235758

>>4235280
This is NOT true.

We like to think of the people who got successful in the stock market, for instance, were intelligent people. In actuality they were no better than average and just happened to be statistical outliers. If you sample the entire space of the market you find people doing as good as chance on average and you find the number of people you would expect, by chance, to succeed.

You can do better in extremely short intervals by using meta information but you cannot be overtly successful in the market with just intelligence. Probability is the main cause of success.

>> No.4235788 [DELETED] 

>>4235720
No, the unbermenschs are the freaks of nature that are happy and smart, highly gender dimorphic (attractive for their sex), and affable.

They are so rare though. What these studies and such like that just show that the statistical likelihoods for intelligent people are depressed, androgynous autists.

Or too put it another way. You walk into a large room filled with depressed androgynous autists. The average IQ of that room is statistical likely to be above average.

Then you walk into a second room filled with cheery, sociable, attractive folk. They are likely to have an average IQ of 100 (average). HOWEVER, in this group you might find one or two guys who are incredibly smart.

>> No.4235819

>>4235632
I am a transgender woman and I can say that my IQ is way above average. Just 2 cents.

A question to CNS:
Have you studied anything like what the National Transgender Clinic in the Netherlands found when they did post-mortem biopsies of male, female, gay male, and MtF transgender brains and found that MtF and Female brains were nearly identical in structure?

If so, care to comment?

>> No.4235830 [DELETED] 

>>4235819
This is old hat:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14146-gay-brains-structured-like-those-of-the-opposite-sex.htm
l

>> No.4235842 [DELETED] 

>>4235819
> I am a transgender woman
> doesn't post a pic with timestamp
Yeah, and I am a fat scottish neckbeard

>> No.4235845

why would poor memory be correlated with higher intelligence?

>> No.4235847

>>4235830
That's a completely different study and talks about something entirely different. I don't mean gays and females, I mean MtF transgenders and females.

I mean things more like this:
http://sindromebenjamin.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/brainsex1.pdf

>> No.4235850

>>4235819
you're a mutilated dude. deal with it.

>> No.4235857 [DELETED] 

>>4235847
Gay people are so funny in their vociferous defense of their dearly held arbitrary distinctions between orientations.

>> No.4235859

>>4235842
EK don't be an ass to me. I'm the same person who posted that I live 2 hours west of the Fayettevill Arkansas cicada location and you didn't pull that nonsense.

I have pics, they are not timestamped, I am not posting them on /sci/ in an unrelated thread, go fuck yourself.

>> No.4235866

>>4235857
You must mean the word "gay" differently than all of us do. I bet you think it just means men who like other men. You can be gay and be a woman too.

>> No.4235874

>>4235842
>>4235850
>>4235857
Oh boy, we awoke the insecure haters.

>> No.4235896 [DELETED] 

>>4235845
Well, despite this being overt anecdotal evidence with little substance. I have poor short term memory (working memory), but have tested several times on several officially proctored tests at genius level intelligence quotients.

As I mentioned earlier, I have ADD and I think that helps me be more creative by being more distract-able and influenced by a lot of unfiltered elements. Where a normal person might try to rationally deduce the answer by following a logical train of thought, I feel like my brain conducts a more efficient type of heuristic that can lead me to answers that "brute-force" logic would need much more time processing.

But then again, the opposite is true as well. Many studies show that concentration and focus positively affect intelligence.

So, I hope my non-answer was somewhat useful.

>> No.4235915 [DELETED] 

>>4235866
No, I mean gay the way mainstream colloquial English denotes the word gay. And these type of shitty comments are what makes me so prejudiced against you fags.

Your kind is always so bitchy and catty. Why are there never any calm and laid-back members in your herd?

>> No.4235929

>>4235915
I don't know about actual homosexuals (which you're making a huge generalization about) but the reason transgenders are like this is largely due to being unaccepted as the gender they present as.

Imagine going through life feeling different and rightly so, but everyone calls you stupid, mutilated, abomination, trash, or mentally ill. You'd probably get a bug up your butt too. Being that it's something you can't control.

I know that if I were born with purple skin and people did this to me, I'd be rightly pissed anyone generalizing "purps"

>> No.4235939

>>4235915
Which definition is that?

>Joyous
>Homosexual
>Sarcastic joyous (ex: unwanted)

>> No.4235946

radiolab did a podcast on this. I think I agree, when depressed I can work faster and better than when I'm content. Same applies when I've undergone a certain level of emotional distress.

>> No.4235969

>>4235946
That's likely a motivation issue though. I have clinical depression. When it is onset, I have very little motivation to do anything but whatever I do comes easy to me probably because I want a distraction very badly.

>> No.4235978

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/61/4/354
>Lower IQ score was associated with increased risk for (...) severe depression
Think I'll just leave this here.

>> No.4235982

>>4235969
That sounds like it could be right. I generally have absolutely shoddy motivation.

>> No.4235983 [DELETED] 

>>4235978
>severe depression
>severe

>> No.4235985

>>4235758

yes, it is. people with higher IQs make more than people with lower IQs.

Not everyone is a fucking stock broker, dude. A lot of people do actual work for a living.

>> No.4235987

>>4235983
So?

>> No.4235988

>>4235819
Maybe, but that study shows something else. Namely that gender nonconformity corelates with increased intelligence scores when is not correlated with non-heterosexual orientation.

Even the researchers make that clear in the conclusion, saying that the influence of gender nonconformity on intelligence is sexuality-specific...

>> No.4235992

>>4235985
Seriously? I have to point this out? Correlation does not imply causation.

>> No.4236026 [DELETED] 

>>4235992
Seriously? I have to point this out? A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

>> No.4236033

>>4236026
Reported for ban evasion.

>> No.4236036 [DELETED] 

IQ 180 reporting in. I am not sad. Actually I am happy, especially when I can pass on my knowledge of math on this board.

>> No.4236038

You people do realise that those who go through depression and kill themselves are known to have lower I.Qs then those who don't.

>> No.4236042 [DELETED] 

>>4236033
It wasn't me that was banned, it was Harriet. She's still not posting, m'kay?

>> No.4236044 [DELETED] 
File: 14 KB, 478x357, 1307312958.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4236033
>mfw obvious newfag

>> No.4236046

I'm intelligent and depressed...

Because of morons.

>> No.4236047 [DELETED] 

>>4236038
> then

>> No.4236056
File: 50 KB, 576x238, Multiple_personality_disorder.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4236042
Reported for ban evasion.

Take your pills and leave.

>> No.4236062

>>4236056
>2012
>doesn't know EK surrendered her trip

>> No.4236065 [DELETED] 

>>4236056
I don't have MPD hun. Harriet was banned, not me. I have a rite to be here. It's the internet any1 can go anywhere

>> No.4236066
File: 2.38 MB, 320x180, cos.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4235978
>>4235978
>>4235978
>>4235978
>>4235978
>>4235978
Read this and >>4235267 and >>4235371

Tl;dr Article is bullshit

>> No.4236067 [DELETED] 
File: 7 KB, 211x175, 4colourtheoremtroll.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4236056
Could you BE any more newfag

>> No.4236075

>>4236062

WE ARE LEGION

>> No.4236077 [DELETED] 

>>4236026
>>4236042
>>4236044
>>4236047
>>4236062
>>4236065
>>4236067
SAMEFAG

>> No.4236078 [DELETED] 

>>4236075

WE NEVER FORGIVE

>> No.4236079

>>4236062
Really? when/wjhat is it?

>>4236065
You make multiple posts in quick succession with different styles. You have DID.

>> No.4236080

>>4236066
Not sure why you're directing that at me, the article I posted shows the OP is bullshit.

>> No.4236085 [DELETED] 

>>4236079
> you have did

>> No.4236087

>>4236079
She posted her trip and said she'd be anonymous from now on.
It's #.1Omhrk8

>> No.4236091 [DELETED] 

>>4236066
>>4236080
As an agent of reason, I'd like to point out that the article isn't bullshit. It presents solid science. Now, some of it's conclusions and statements that the author personally included may be bullshit, but you have to learn to take those with a grain of salt.

>> No.4236093

>>4236080
Oh no, I meant that your post also disproves OP's article. Should have been clearer.

>> No.4236097 [DELETED] 

>>4236085
Disassociative Identity Disorder, faggot.

>> No.4236101

sadfjkldsjf;laksdjf;laksdjf ;alksdj f;laskdjf woi4foj,kfswjiofwsdejo

>> No.4236106

>>4236091
>It presents solid science.
Science, sure, but solid? They used success as a metric for intelligence...

>> No.4236107

>>4236087
FINALLY

I asked her to do it, and she actually did. Now we can try and spot her from her shitty, erratic style

Whoever made >>4236044 has it down to an art. Where do you get EK images?

>> No.4236114

>>4236093
my mistake

>> No.4236116

oh boy

>> No.4236119

>>4236087
Thank god.

>> No.4236123

>>4236080
You have to compare the methodology how was IQ assessed in the Swedish study and how it was in the study from the article OP posted.
IQ is assessed in many ways in different studies and so are different mental health symptoms. I thought this is a science board...

>> No.4236128

I think so hard so much that I can feel a sort of pressure in my brain, not like a physical pressure, just an awareness of the strain.
I also get so depressed that I get a similar feeling in my chest, again a sort of powerful awareness. It's very strange.

>> No.4236130 [DELETED] 

>>4236119
Thank *Dawkins*.

>> No.4236141

>>4236130

What the fuck you faggot, you actually worship Dawkins?? Get the fuck out, retard!!

>> No.4236149 [DELETED] 

>>4236128
Sounds serious. I'm prescribing you some MethylTriFlourideUnunium, or MTFU.

>> No.4236160 [DELETED] 
File: 3 KB, 126x124, zb2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4236141
I seriously hope you're trollin'.

>> No.4236180
File: 257 KB, 475x647, jbq1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4236160
>2011
>posting actual EK
ISHYGDDT

>> No.4236196 [DELETED] 
File: 14 KB, 348x333, 126550.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4236180
>2011
>Not saving all of EK's pic for just such a moment

>> No.4236208

The best thing about this isn't that everyone is going to be EK, it's that nobody is going to be EK.

>> No.4236210

so much EK ITT

>> No.4236219 [DELETED] 
File: 7 KB, 259x194, 1298535990419.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4236208

>> No.4236250

Could someone ban these pieces of shit (..who ruined the thread)?

>> No.4236258
File: 7 KB, 136x122, hurr durr ek2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If this works we should all post as EK forever more!

>> No.4236265 [DELETED] 
File: 19 KB, 389x437, 1307353763534.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4236250
Could someone ban this autistic new fag who clearly doesn't know how moderation works around here?

>> No.4237056

Can I's be EK nao?

>> No.4239390

>>4236265
Meh, I'm not autistic, bitch.

>> No.4239406 [DELETED] 

test

>> No.4239411
File: 22 KB, 264x296, sadface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I will miss EK, /sci/'s only good meme

>> No.4239415

>hurr intelligence and happiness are mutually exclusive

>> No.4239426

rest in peaces princess

>> No.4240912

Test

>> No.4240919

>>4240912
Reported for testing. Enjoy your ban.

>> No.4240930

>>4240912
Reported for infraction of Rule 5, section b. Read the rules or gtfo

>> No.4240936

>>4240930

Reported because you forgot to say, "Enjoy your ban."

>> No.4241010

>first section of thread

Ah, what a glorious day to discuss sci-

>then EK comes in

my ploud /sci/...

>> No.4241981

>two days later
>thread still alive

>> No.4241988

HOly dick balls my darkest fears are confirmed.

I am only useful when I'm depressed.

>> No.4242191

not every sad person is intelligent :)

>> No.4242214

Intelligence=/=Wisdom

Autism heavily intersects with Intelligence
Autism doesnt intersect with Wisdom
Wisdom heavily intersects with Happiness

Thats all you need to fucking know.

>> No.4242329

testing EK trip

>> No.4242335

>>4242329

Share it.

>> No.4242337

Wtf, i miss EK so much, i feel terrible that she left her trip.
EKKKK where the fuck are you, dont post as anonymous ;(

Shit, i really feel depressed, like something good is over.

>mfw am not even trolling.
Jesus fuck, pick another trip and start over.

>> No.4242343
File: 142 KB, 1219x605, ek reveals her trip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4242335
EK#.10mhrk8

>> No.4242349

>>4242343
>>4242343
>>4242343
>>4242343
Did you saved the thread???????????

>> No.4242350

Strange, i feel more attached to EK than to my family, friends or even my GF, i feel like shit.

>> No.4242352

ok

>> No.4242354

Testan.

>> No.4242357

Weird.

>> No.4242360

Oh. At least trips are pretty randomizing.

>> No.4242364

>> No.4242416

Remember to mourn all those gay,bi,lesbian geniuses that keep committing suicide..>.>

>> No.4243050

>>4242343
test

>> No.4243053

>>4243050
durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

>> No.4243518

>>4243053
>implying the faggot I got the trip from didn't fuck it up

>> No.4243536

So this thread is still here I see.

>>4235819
I haven't studied that topic personally, but I am familiar with the work by Swaab, considering we live in the same city, and he is one of the most successful neuroscientists in The Netherlands. If I remember correctly Swaab et al. showed sexual dimorphisms in the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis, and sexual differentiation in trans-gendered people corresponding to the opposite sex (I could be simplifying things here, it's been a while).
>If so, care to comment?
I'm not sure what else to say, do you have any specific questions (if you're even around)?

>>4235850
>>4235915
Bigotry has no place on a science board. Or anywhere for that matter.

>>4242214
>Autism heavily intersects with Intelligence
People with autism on average have below average intelligence.

>> No.4243564

>>4243536
how come your post are always fucking god-tier?

>> No.4243566

>>4243536
>Bigotry has no place on a science board. Or anywhere for that matter.
lose the trip and get over yourself fag

>> No.4243575

>>4243564
Oh I'm just very good at making stuff up.

>>4243566
>fag
You seem to have missed to point.

>> No.4243576

>claim /sci/ is no place for bigotry
>starts talking about people with below average intelligence

>> No.4243584

>>4243575
you seem to be on the wrong website

>> No.4243591

>>4243576
Aside from the fact that it is simply an observation, it is not in any way a value judgment.

Anyway, you have a nice day now. I'm off.

>> No.4243605

>>4243584
>raging against the one good tripfag on this board
You're doing it wrong.

>> No.4243611

>>4243605
there are no good tripfags my friend. everything you've ever known is a lie.

>> No.4243616

>>4243584
>CNS
>god-tier tripfag
>Science & Math
>wrong board
>implying you're not a faggot

>> No.4243618

>>4243611
>granting belief a privileged position above observation

That isn't how science you nigger.

>> No.4243620

>>4243611
read his posts idiot

>> No.4243643

>go to /sci/ for the first time
>see this thread
>"oh that looks interesting lets see wh-"
>I think it is much more likely that the increased activity in vantrolateral prefrontal cortex is the result of decreased striatal dopaminergic projection strength.

alrighty then.

>> No.4243661

>>4243620
>blinded by science

>> No.4243663

>>4243661
yeah, that's the point

you should try posting some

>> No.4243678

>>4243663
figures you don't know what that phrase means

>> No.4243685

>>4243678
Figures you didn't get the point. I'm saying it's a good thing you fucking moron.

>> No.4243746

>>4243685
It's not a good thing. It means you're being superficial and you've just cemented that fact.

>> No.4243757
File: 34 KB, 462x477, facepalm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4243746
Seriously, just stop saying words. This is the science board. This is where we are supposed to talk about science.

>> No.4243768

>>4243757
you haven't understood a single word I've said

>> No.4243782

>>4235237

>smarter people want more money, that's why they are depressed

what.

>> No.4243790

>>4243768
yeah, keep thinking that

>> No.4243803

>>4243790
but it's evident!

>> No.4243821

>>4243803
right, I think I'm going to leave you alone with your delusions of profoundness because the only thing that is evident here is the irony in the fact of your complete inability to comprehend what it is <span class="math">I[/spoiler] have been saying

>> No.4243929

>>4243821
You're saying I'm idiot for not thinking that it's good to be blinded by science.

I heard you the first time but you still don't understand what that statement means probably because you're having a hard time searching for it in google.

>> No.4243949

>>4243929
>You're saying I'm idiot for not thinking that it's good to be blinded by science.
Try again, and read between the lines this time.

>> No.4243973

>>4235100

Truly intelligent people figure out what makes them happy, then they do it. It's only logical.

>> No.4244001

>>4243949
You've only been speaking in one line, one sentence responses! There's nothing to read between except my responses!

If you can't even comprehend a simple idiom how is anybody to believe you've comprehended anything CNS has said?

>> No.4244018

The kind of jobs that "successful" people hold tend to be very stressful, very demanding, and very unforgiving. It's far more likely that such people are depressed BECAUSE of the job they hold rather than them attaining that job because of their depression.

>> No.4245961

>>4244001
>There's nothing to read between except my responses!
So, this confirms it. You have no clue how to get an implicit point. If I had known I would be dealing with such an absolute retard, I would have been a bit more explicit. But no, you had to bring that attitude of superiority, an when you tried to put my point into words you failed miserably. So fuck that. I'm not going to spell it out for you. Instead I'm going to quote some posts, and see if you can put it together.

>blinded by science
>you should try posting some
>it's a good thing
>This is the science board. This is where we are supposed to talk about science.

I'll even give you a little hint. Don't take the 'it's a good thing' too literal. Lets wait and see if you can get what should have been blatantly obvious.

>> No.4246146

>three days later
>thread still alive
It wasn't even that good to begin with...

>> No.4246206

To some extent, depression makes you smart. I had severe depression that manifested in physical pain, nausea and hearing voices. I tried killing myself but failed. I couldn't remember anything and my social life went on a all time low. I'm now on several medication and have patent pending inventions on their way.

>> No.4246212

>two evolutionary psychologists
stopped reading there.

second only to psychoanalytic psychology in terms of stupidity.

>> No.4246213

>evolutionary psychology

>evolution

Confirmed for full retard.

>> No.4246712

>>4246212
>>4246213
>degreeless neckbeards

>> No.4246719
File: 5 KB, 225x225, 1306247112447.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Superiority complexes...

Superiority complexes everywhere!

>> No.4247228
File: 74 KB, 300x404, science.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump for science

>> No.4247245

LOL, sad sacks comforting themselves with fantasies of having above-average intelligence.

>> No.4247354

>>4247245
u jelly of my brain power?

>> No.4247369

Thanks for this thread op, glad to know my problems are an evolutionary mechanism and I have to deal with them to help use my superior inteligence and abilities for the good of mankind

>> No.4247377
File: 19 KB, 320x323, 1313882702870.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4246719
You must be new to /sci/

>> No.4247434

>>4235166
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rank_theory_of_depression
makes much more sense than half the shit anybody here posted

>> No.4249483

I'm going to make a sport of bumping this every day.

>> No.4250325

>>4249483
like this?

>> No.4250580

>>4235100
so will technical singularity based on conscious artifical intelligence be sadest being ever? Or not?

>> No.4250589

I hate my life
I hate being me
I wish I was born as ANYONE not me.
fuck
too much a coward to kill myself even

someday... I will invent something that makes me, and everyone else happy.

>> No.4250849

Doesn't this imply that the reason why all those various social 'losers' are so "philosophical", is because they are in a constant state of depression, driving them to over think everything?

>> No.4250871

WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL ALIVE?

Half-baked blog hypothesis status
[ ] Not debunked
[X] DEBUNKED

>> No.4251044

>>4250871
>severe depression?
>severe

>> No.4251139

>>4250871
That means they had such low IQ that they had no idea what to do about their problems. Those with similar symptoms and higher IQ know better how to deal with mental problems.

>> No.4253249

>>4250871
>WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL ALIVE?
because you keep bumping it

>> No.4253264

>>4253249

Are you sure?

>> No.4253266

>>4253264
you tell me

>> No.4253288

>>4250871
>>4253264

>not knowing how to sage
>2012
Mah nigga...

>> No.4253294

>>4253288

Oh niggardly sage, teach us moar in the Arts of Saging.

>> No.4253304

>>4253294
>niggardly

>niggardly [nig-erd-lee]  
>nig·gard·ly   [nig-erd-lee] Show IPA
>adjective
>1.reluctant to give or spend; stingy; miserly.
>2.meanly or ungenerously small or scanty: a niggardly tip to a waiter.
>adverb
>3.in the manner of a niggard.

Fat chance.

>> No.4253312

>>4253304

>Reluctant to give or spend his wisdom in the Arts of Saging
>Thinks he doesnt fit in the first and last definition that he provided

Oh niggardly anon, you so silly.

>> No.4253315

>>4253304
>3.in the manner of a niggard.
I lol'd