[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 58 KB, 400x300, tonight you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4211112 No.4211112 [Reply] [Original]

I have been sitting here thinking and wondering why mass generates gravity. I have heard its a displacement of space and time, but that just lead me to another thought: in a nuclear detonation a small amount of matter disappears from existence and goes right to energy. Does the gravitational field from this tiny little bit of negated mass disappear instantly or does it fade over an infinitesimal amount of time?

>> No.4211131

I feel this question has more to do with science and math then that crappy thread that is either a few above or a few below mine, with the picture entitled geek godesses and the OP complaining about being in the friendzone "protip, be alpha" so I am doing a shameless self bump

>> No.4211134

The lack of gravity would propagate in an ever-increasing sphere, increasing at the speed of light, away from the detonation point.

>> No.4211141

The energy still attracts things gravitationally even after it has changed form.

>> No.4211142

How do we know that gravitational disappearance would be anchored or attached to the speed of light, since it is now a non mass, non energy variable.

>> No.4211153

>>4211142

The key idea of general relativity is that space is linked to mass-energy.

>> No.4211157

Im still wondering if the gravity disappears as close to the concept of instant as possible.

>> No.4211163

dunno. has something to do with the types of quarks that make up whatever it is that you are describing. apparently it really matters which direction the charges "spin" in different particles. does the particle possess neutral , positive , or negative spin and if so how many intergers of it?

>> No.4211182

i kinda assume that when something goes from being a molecule or an atom or even a burst of subatomic particles , the energy freed up by the release of that attraction that kept the matter glued together allows these spun particles to flip around become biased in the opposite direction. so if an atom is destroyed, you will always find the sum of the amount of energy transformed adds up if you can find all the possible combinations of ways the reaction could have occured. i assume thats one of the ways that they know what they are looking for while looking for the higgs boson

>> No.4211198

Isn't it impossible for things to just disappear? I would imagine it just takes another form.

>> No.4211205

>>4211198
Mass=energy

>> No.4211222

>>4211205

Exactly. So the gravity doesn't just magically disappear.

>> No.4211227

I am asking at what rate the reduced gravitation force disappears at.
10 kg uranium
Detonate nuke
9.9 kg uranium scattered about and turned into tiny bits.
Gravitation field of 10kg> Gravitational field of 9.9kg,
How fast did the dissipation occur once the chain reaction of nukiness got going?