[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.37 MB, 2652x3436, 0000332d..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4209007 No.4209007 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci/, what about a little survey?

How many of us are professional /sci/entists?

I mean professional, like in: "you get paid to be a scientist, researcher or academic".
Personally I'm a postdoc working in applied mathematics for the geosciences... moving soon to do the same job in a big EU institution. Kinda happy about it (for the salary), but I will really miss the Uni (I'm a lazy fucker who enjoys flexible working hours and very long holidays, and also hot uni girls).

>> No.4209009

Not OP, but I was curious as to how you guys get employed and paid. Does an organization employ you, or do you research yourself? Do you only get paid if you find out something?

>> No.4209021
File: 25 KB, 283x420, 14254131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Real scientists on /sci/?

>> No.4209028

OP here... Well in my experience, if you are good enough, you get a PhD proposal from one of your professor (like the one with which you did the MSc thesis), if you are good you get paid during your PhD (I got a scholarship from the government), after that if you are good you get a postdoc position (also paid by the gov in my case)...
In my case I got paid just to do research, follow projects (not my strong suit) and publish papers...
I also did some consulting to private companies due to the shitty salary... the nice part is that you are free to do what do you want (mostly, it depends on your professor)

>> No.4209044

>>4209028

still, OP...
the downside part is that you get stuck in research is difficult to come out of it... it is difficult to adapt to work in a company (you can see that they are full of shit and morons) or have a "normal" life... on the other hand, you travel for free (been everywhere) if you get enough funds

>> No.4209065

>>4209021

jeez, I'm starting to think that you might be right...

>> No.4209074

>>4209007
>How many of us are professional /sci/entists?
I'm a PhD student (cognitive neuroscience) in my last year. In my country PhD students are full-time employees, so you only qualify for a PhD position if you have completed a master's degree. Getting a PhD here takes around 4 years (if everything goes smoothly).