[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 450x328, 6ajw8l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4199896 No.4199896 [Reply] [Original]

What would happen if a white hole devoured an anti-star?

You can choose to take this as a troll if you want, but I like letting my mind wander off occasionally.. :P

So umm.. discuss.. or get mad.. whichever.. I'll find a way to be amused either way.

>> No.4199907

what does your question even mean??? (Also, I'll have some of what you're having, please.)

>> No.4199908

What's an anti-star? Star made of anti-matter? How do you know that white holes attract anti-matter to assume a while hole would devour an anti-star in the first place?

>> No.4199912

Wait why would the white hole devour it?

White holes do the fucking opposite.

>> No.4199916

Well..
I was thinking that matter is created from stars.. Stars explode. Big bang created the Universe supposedly. Black holes devour stars. Matter is formed from star dust. So the question became, is the Universe created from a white hole devouring an anti-star, assuming anti-stars and white holes exist?
Not that it could really be answered, since it would require being on the outside of the universe to find out, but its fun to think about.

>> No.4199926
File: 9 KB, 200x200, avatar2338_182.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay, so this is a lot of assuming and I repeated myself a few times, but still..

Oh.. so white holes do the opposite? :o So it would be the opposite of an explosion then.. not devoured, but the opposite of devoured.. whatever that is..

>> No.4199938

So to rephrase the question, what would happen if a white hole "merged with" OR was "deflected by" an anti-star?

>> No.4199945

>>4199938
WHAT THE FUCK IS AN ANTI STAR?

>> No.4199952

>>4199945

A D-list celebrity that no-one can stand to be around.

>> No.4199954

>>4199908
Assuming that the Universe has anti-matter and that anti-matter was the opposite impression of matter, basically, that on the other side of the Universe, energy would be matter and matter would be energy there.. so a collapsed star would become a black hole there too if the physics remained the same..

So for example, matter on "this side of the universe" becomes energy on "that side of the universe"..

So an anti-star would be the opposite of a star..

>> No.4199963
File: 8 KB, 180x180, question.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think what OP's trying to convey by anti-star is really a Population III star, no?

>> No.4199988
File: 34 KB, 400x400, toast fyft.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4199963
Never heard of this before. I'll look it up now.

>> No.4200005

>>4199963
Okay, I just skimmed through Wikipedia's description..
Will read it in more detail later, but anyway..

If a Population III star is a gigantic star exploding and creating the universe, than yes.. that's exactly what I mean..

>> No.4200020

>>4199988
No, people toast toast

>> No.4200029
File: 50 KB, 985x737, SPACE TIME.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just drew this in paint. Lrn2space

tl;dr a white hole (assuming they exist) wouldn't devour an "anti-star" (Star made of antimatter?) because they're both affected by gravity in the same fashion, and "white hole's" push space-time away from it, as opposed to bringing them in. Something that "pushes" space time away from it, would be, for example, exotic matter (time to google!).

>> No.4200038
File: 80 KB, 420x294, tumblr_ltmnazTRUl1qfmhqso1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Many thanks for humoring my poorly thought out question. You guys are awesome. :)
I gotta go to sleep now. Good night.

>> No.4200042

>>4200005

Population III stars did not create the universe, they were merely "short" lived stars which populated the than young universe. Forming rather quickly, possession enormous mass, and being big enough to [perhaps] dwarf VY CMa [the largest known star], they would die shortly thereafter due to their own enormity helping in the seeding and building of the very first galaxies. UDFj-39546284, the eldest galaxy known, is thought to be populated largely by Population III stars. But of course that by, "thought to be" scientists really mean, "once was" granted what we see now is what the galaxy looked like at the beginning of the universe if scientists are correct, of course.

Such things as white holes are highly improbable due to the very nature of the things and the conversely mechanics of physics, i.e. gravity pulls, not pushes. But it could also be argued that if the Big Bang theory is true, a white hole, or at least what we would call one, exists at the very core of the universe. Such a notion would also nullify the plausibility of an infinite universe, suffice to prove that the universe is very much finite, in constant expansion, and reduce the ultimate fate of everything to two plausible outcomes: the heat death of the universe, alternatively the Big Freeze, or the Big Rip.

>> No.4200054

>>4200020
I don't believe you, anon.

>>4200029
Okay, sleep can wait a bit longer.
Yes, that is very similar to the way I'm imagining it..

>> No.4200064

>>4200042
What about the theory of the Universe being stuck in an eternal loop of creation and destruction?
It is expanding, so it could reach a limit, and start collapsing in on itself, right?

>> No.4200072

>>4200029
Thumbnail looks like a spider on acid

>> No.4200074

>>4200064
cont.

..and could be collapsing with the same force that created the big bang, only in reverse.. so it would be propelling itself backwards through time space, and when reaching a limit of expansion again, could recreate the universe with another big bang?

>> No.4200091

>>4200064

Plausible, but highly unlikely. I am no scientist, so I can't tell you for sure which way it's all going to go. But neither can anyone also. Not for sure at least... The idea that the universe is infinitely recycling itself is something that's been thrown around a lot by the scientific community, and the principal reason for which string theory was developed since people weren't too comfortable with such notions of infinity.

Personally, I think that the universe is neither finite, nor infinite. How could that be? My theory is that the universe would look like something of an infinite mirror effect.

>Consider the picture to your left.

Basically, what the infinite mirror effect does is create an infinite number of reflections within a finite space, the surface of the mirror itself. What this means is that if you could look far enough into space, you'd see the back of your head. It's a pretty crazy and outlandish theory, I'm mostly certain that I am not the first to think about it, nor will I be the last, but all things considered, at least as far as I know, it is highly plausible. Why? Well, consider a black hole. Light cannot escape it. It is powerful enough to basically suck everything into itself, crushing all matter into such a tiny space until it pops. Yet, this behemoth of gravitational force still manages to somehow move about, meaning that in spite of being capable of pulling everything in, it is still somehow propelled into motion, perennially encircling the galactic core. Essentially...

>> No.4200096

Oh, just realized that all I noticed was your pic..
exotic matter.. another thing to google.. My attention is jumping all over the place tonight..

Yeah.. I'ma go to sleep for real now..

Thanks again guys..

>> No.4200105

>>4200091

For black holes to be mobile, there must be some force that is capable of pulling at them and causing said motion. But because of how small and yet massive a black hole is, it should be stationary. Especially the super massive black holes thought to reside within the galactic core. So, why does everything more? Because of the big bang, or so they, all matter was blown outwardly from a singular point. Essentially speaking, there was no space or time before the universe. There was only matter, and this matter was condensed into a single point. When it got too dense and hot, it burst giving birth to time and space, and the universe as we know it today. Matter was sent in all directions and overtime, began to attract other, similar matter, onto itself forming larger masses, which would eventually form the earliest cosmic objects... which would get too massive and pop again sending all that matter further out... and so on until today. This has led many a scientist to believe that the universe is infinitely expanding in all directions and that after aeons of pulling itself together and than blowing itself apart, all matter in the universe will eventually degenerate into a state wherein matter will be so sparse and far away from other matter that gravity will essentially no longer be capable of pulling more matter together to create heat, does the Big Freeze...

>> No.4200107
File: 35 KB, 460x314, infinite mirror effect.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Forgot pic in previous post. Here it is... sorry! ^.^'

>> No.4200120
File: 21 KB, 320x240, spock bite the pilow i'm going in dry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

... but consider this now: What if we are actually not moving outwards by inward? Observation of light, motion, etc, is all relative, but what's most important is not the relativity of matter, motion, direction, etc, because in the universe IS infinite, there really isn't a north, south, up, or down. What it really comes down to is perception. Maybe what we perceive to be an outward motion really is an inward motion. Thus, at last, a return to my proposed theory that the universe is an infinite finite environment much like an infinite mirror effect in that seemingly infinite space is really condensed on a plane that finite, and flat. After all, a mirror can only reflect an image. All depth within is a mere illusion but we see it there. We perceive it.

I apologize that I cannot provide you with some complex mathematical equation nor any empirical evidence to really support or prove my theory, but... think about it. Isn't everything but a matter of perception? Good. Evil. Black. White. The works.

>> No.4200127

WHY THE FUCK DO THEY ORDER POPULATIONS OF STARS BACKWARDS?

It's so damn confusing.

>> No.4200142

>>4200120
I agree with your theory, and also..

Was watching Brain Games or whatever that show is called.. and they were talking about the way we process information and how our eyes can trick us..

The relationship between shadows and light is very intriguing.. Depending on where the shadows are, it can cause our perception of an object's position in space to change..
Another thing is how connected our brains are to what we perceive as "ourselves".. There is the idea of phantom limbs, and also, if you put a fake hand on a table, and someone all of a sudden smashes it with a hammer, your mind will panic for a second and cause you to feel the same pain you might feel if it actually happened..

There is a lot more it to that, but.. our mind's create our world.. We learn through perception of patterns..
So we aren't seeing the world as it really is.. we are seeing it as our brains have wired us to see the world around us..

>> No.4200169
File: 6 KB, 270x270, aliens guy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4200127

I asked myself the same question when I was first introduced to the concept.

>>4200142

Exactly, and hence why perception is so important! Appearances can be deceiving. Considering how the Sun, our local star, has such a high output of light, magnetic energy, and gravitational pull on our planet, these may somehow influence everything also outside of our own local star system causing a temporal which in turn affects our perception. Maybe, just maybe, the universe as we perceive it is just an approximation of what it really is as an interpretation of our minds in a way so that we can comprehend the information that we are gathering. Consider for a moment a still water source. Undisturbed, its surface will reflect light creating a mirror effect. Now, throw in a big enough object to disturb the water and suddenly that perfectly mirror image is broken and distorted. The light source is still there. The reflective properties of the water are also still there. Yet, because of the motion of the water provoked by the impact, the image is all messed up. Now blow this out of proportion and think about it on a universal scale. Get the big picture? Crazy stuff!

>P.S. Yes, I did think about all of this while peeing and observing the reflection of my bathroom's light on the toilet's still water.

>> No.4200207

>>4200169
Neat way to look at things, and funny how you triggered that epiphany. :)

I find the chemical and cellular levels to be very fascinating..
When I was taking anatomy/physiology class, we didn't get to go too much into the chemical level, but the cellular level is so bizarre to me..
I always want to look at everything as a reflection of everything else, but the cellular level throws me off completely.. Everything about the cellular and chemical levels seems foreign and strange to me..
I find it difficult to wrap my mind around those concepts they are trying to convey..

The smaller or larger things become, the more foreign they become to us.. so we might understand something that is around us on a regular basis, but unless we find a way to shrink or grow to those sizes, they might as well be in entirely different worlds.. We can see them, but they are on different levels than we are, in a sense..