[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 67 KB, 353x350, textbooks.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4196191 No.4196191 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/, I originally posted this in /lit/, but they told me you would be more useful here. I am going to major in Neuroscience as a freshman in the fall, and I was hoping you could suggest some good books to help prepare for college (and eventually grad school - going to get a ph.d afterwards). I already read The Idea Factory: Learning to think at MIT, and it was amazing, but now I am looking for some more books like that. Thank you!

>> No.4196195

fucking threads like this are fucking hilarious

havent started undergrad

going to get my undergrad
get my graduate degree
then get a phd

ok bro. fuck off

>> No.4196198

>neuroscience

stopped reading there

enjoy ur soft science

>> No.4196200

Neuroanatomy for the Neuroscientist, Jacobson and Marcus, 2nd ed. 2011.

>> No.4196201

>>4196195
That was kind of rude. I know that grad school is incredibly difficult and has high expectations and high drop out rates, especially in ph.d programs. I know that even undergrad science courses are difficult. I am not saying I am going to get a 4.0, go to harvard for grad school and cure every disease on the planet. These are the plans I have laid out for myself and I plan to attempt to accomplish them to the best of my ability.

>> No.4196210

Hey OP, I'll be a non-cunt to you, and give you the following reading lists by a scientist:

http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/notebooks/neuroscience.html

http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/notebooks/neuropsychology.html

http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/notebooks/cognitive-science.html

There are also other reading lists mentioned in those notebooks. Those lists should keep you going for a few years.

>> No.4196214

>>4196201
you're not even through your first fucking year.

typical high school /sci/. fuck this forum

>> No.4196223

>>4196214

Incredi-mad about words on the internet.

>> No.4196227

>>4196201
Ignore the post by the rude anon. he's a bitter grad school dropout who failed his thesis defense because he was overconfident, and now he is currently unable to enjoy anything because he can no longer support the illusion that he's the smartest person he knows.

>> No.4196228

>>4196214
You aren't allowed to have plans until you finish your undergrad degree? Look, I am using my early planning to assist my future. I plan to get involved in as much research as possible starting my first freshman semester all the way through to the end to look as good as possible on my applications to grad schools. If I didn't plan anything out until Senior year, I would be in a completely terrible position for applications.

>> No.4196237

>>4196227
holy shit youre just as stupid as the fucking op.

>> No.4196240

>>4196191
loldont do undergrad in neuroscience my only advice. if you wanna do a graduate in nsci.

the simplest neuroscience textbook is this

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=1XT&rls=or
g.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=neuroscience+4th+edition&gs_upl=5293l5293l0l5586l1l1l0l0l0l0l117l
117l0.1l1l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11748857455511557814&sa=X&ei=me_7Ts6h
JMrx0gHZgoyIAg&ved=0CCUQ8wIwAQ

if you learn its contents then you are well into the second year of neuroscience degree.

obviously this is 1 of the 5 books youll learn from each year.

you need to suplement this with organic chemistry. anatomy, physiology and general biology

>> No.4196242

>>4196228
Be careful what you wish for OP, and be flexible about your goals.

>> No.4196246

>>4196237
I know, it hurts to fail, baby, don't it?

>> No.4196248

>>4196228

The thing you are forgetting is that 4chan is dominated by underclass males. Therefore, they rarely have the future time orientation, and social skills you have. They aren't concerned with planning, and are typically sociopaths. See their total disregard for your question, and barbaric behavior above.

If you want serious answers to your questions, go to one of the science subreddits. Lots of graduate students and scientists hang out there.

>> No.4196255

>>4196246
you are so incredibly wrong on your overview of me it's not even funny.

I have a 4.0 in EE graduating this year from a top 20 university. I've done 1 summer research term and could get into almost any grad school I want. I've seen countless idiots like OP drop out over the years. Get through 3 years of undergrad with a 4.0 and then start concerning yourself with grad school.

>> No.4196256

>>4196248
Thanks, and thank you to everyone else who posted serious replies. I'll take a look at some of the material you provided and also check out the science subreddit.

>> No.4196257

>>4196255
Everyone has a 4.0 at a top 20 university on the internet.

>> No.4196258

>>4196255
>2011
>Lying on the internet
ISHYBDDT

>> No.4196259

>>4196255

>playing make believe on the internet

>> No.4196264

>>4196255
I apologize. I can see that you've actually gone to graduate school and received your PhD, and so you know exactly what you're talking about.

>> No.4196271

third year in neuroscience (chemistry) here, what type are you going into? are you in psychology? chemistry based explain further?

>> No.4196273

>>4196191

OP, as a fellow undergraduate neuroscience/chemistry major, I am here to tell you that I would wait to decide on graduate school, but only because there are many options available and you should not limit yourself yet. I am doing behavioral neuroscience research for a professor right now, and some self-study computational modeling. There are many ways to go in neuroscience: regenerative medicine, computational modeling, physical neuroscience, etc. Explore, read textbooks and make sure you familiarize yourself both with the biological and physical sciences. Then hone those skills where you need to. Cheers!

>> No.4196277

>>4196273
what school? this might get awkward fast. :p

>> No.4196281

>>4196271
I am more interested in the biological side of neuroscience, and eventually want research neurological diseases and disorders such as Alzheimer's, and the effects of aging on the brain.

>> No.4196284

>>4196281
i would recommend biology major if not neuroscience and psychology minor. get 60 hours asap and get into a strong lab that is doing some behavioral testing.

>> No.4196287

>>4196281
you should be sure to understand developmental biology and neuronal differentiation, as these are related to neural degeneration that you'd see in Alzheimer's and other diseases of the aging brain.

>> No.4196296

>>4196277

Haha, small college/university (may change to a university?) called Baldwin-Wallace in Ohio. It has a large undergraduate neuroscience program. I am only a freshman, but I am already involved in research that might be published and I read a lot of textbooks and journals outside of class.

Now tell me you're far away so that second semester isn't weird.

>>4196281

I highly recommend looking not only at the typical areas (beta-amyloid plaques, entorhinal cortex --> CA1 pathway damage, etc.) but also glial cells and maybe some p-chem. Glia are fascinating, and often not as focused upon. In particular, you might find astrocytes and oligodendrocytes useful in your interests.

>> No.4196300

>>4196284
What about perhaps a double major in biology and neuroscience? Would that course load be workable while also doing as much research as possible? I would prefer to keep my neuroscience major, as I am extremely interested in learning about the brain specifically as much as possible.

>> No.4196303

>>4196296
i got to UT and i was just making sure. :p
over here you have to have a 3.6 GPA or above to get into a lab. :( i should have my first work published in late june maybe july. i feel proud, still writing my manuscript up though. :(

>> No.4196310

>>4196300

I still vote getting some experience in computational neuroscience and some more mathematical disciplines. Neuroscience is extremely interdisciplinary, and one way to increase your value as a neuroscientist (as well as advance the field) would be to integrate your biology with the mathematical departments.

>> No.4196312

>>4196300
double major = wasted time. unless they have something set up for the two majors, then do not waste your time. if you are lucky enough to get a lab position as a freshman, congrats. I know at mine it takes 3.6GPA and 60+ credit hours.

>> No.4196322

>>4196303

Ahh, yeah, no GPA requirements, but a background check and interview with both the professor in charge of the lab and his director is necessary. The nice thing about a small college is that there is less competition with graduate students or older undergraduates for lab space. I've put in probably 80 hours over the course of the semester, and the data should be gathered by the second or third week of the spring semester. If it is published, I would be the third name listed, so I am rather excited. And all the formal writing is bleh... Is your project for your thesis?

>> No.4196326

>>4196300
Fellow neurosci major, it is not about the majors or minors you obtain, but the knowledge and ideas you can create.

Take a few upper level maths or chem/bios that you find interesting/relevant. Absorb it. Realize that the most important asset you have is your mind, then your transcript.

>> No.4196328

>>4196303
this one is for my research stipend i fought for. i am starting my extension on this project this summer. my money is geared for this til end of april. then i will use this as preliminary data, yes i get to cite a paper i did. :D (hopefully)

>> No.4196335

>>4196303

Haha, well that is awesome, congratulations and good luck! Post it when complete!

>> No.4196341

>>4196335
Don't worry i will something to show off now. not that much of the people i talk to know what it means to be published. lol

>> No.4196492

Anything by Noam Chomsky that isn't politically charged. Also, Sam Harris's blog. The latter is more entertaining than educational.

>> No.4196524

http://neuroscience.uth.tmc.edu/index.htm

Free e-text offered through the University of Texas Medical School at Houston.

>> No.4196541

Any recommendations for mathematical modeling for neural networks?

>> No.4196558

neuroscience: Exploring the brain should be good