[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 556 KB, 990x2325, 1323232057300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4193698 No.4193698 [Reply] [Original]

/k/ here will this work or am i going to kill my self

>> No.4193706
File: 40 KB, 562x437, fn4eb0123e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>military grade
>using a pack of matches to ignite

>> No.4193709

>>4193698
>Rounded up ounces

Such accuracy, it must certainly work

>> No.4193836

More pictures like this !

>> No.4193842

This isn't really the sort of thing you want to skimp on, /k/omrade. It'd probably work but not as well as a professionally produced one, and with a lot more danger.

>> No.4193846

>>4193698
Are you a terrorist?

FBI! FBI! FBI! FBI! FBI! TERRORIST!

>> No.4193847

>Assuming you are a single cup of thermite
Why yes, yes I am.

>> No.4193852

>>4193698
There is no legal reason why you would ever need to make one, it is almost certainly unsafe, and instructions for how to implement vandalism and terrorism should not be posted here.
Reported.

>> No.4193857
File: 22 KB, 356x400, ohno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4193852

>> No.4193873

>>4193852
also forgive me if i'm wrong but i thought it was perfectly legal to create your own weapons in the US? and there hasn't been any statement towards malevolent purposes.

/k/ we apologise for harriet

>> No.4193874

Hold on I thought grenades were supposed to explode, straight thermate will just burn holes in shit... where's the kaboom?

>> No.4193880

>>4193873
>>>/diy/
"The one rule at the start is going to be do not share instructions for how to make weapons, or any other device intended to hurt a person. Think "Instructables/Thingiverse," not "Anarchist's Cookbook."

/diy/ would be the appropriate board, not /sci/.
Even on /diy/ this is against the rules.

>> No.4193889

>>4193880
you're secretly a mod aren't you?

>> No.4193890

What Harriet said.
She may annoy you to no end, but when she's quoting the rules, you're best off listening.

Besides, any oldfag /sci/entist already has this and better instructions saved up.

>> No.4193899

>>4193880
He wants information on the scientific data written on the image and how the chemical reactions will work out. This is obviously something for /sci/.

The rule you quoted is for DIY, not for /sci/, instead the science and math rules say:
>All science and math related topics welcome.
This is considered science, and so it is welcome here.

You are really starting to piss me off, this is science, it is not against the rules, and it is welcome here according to the rules.

/k/, we really apologize for Harriet, she is an attention whore who thinks she can do whatever she wants here. We often just ignore her but before she scares you off with her very ugly face we had to warn you.

>> No.4193904

>>4193880 /diy/ would be the appropriate board, not /sci/.

Absolutely not. I've told you about talking about things you don't know and explosives / chemicals is a topic where your meddling can actually get someone hurt.

Chemicals are /sci/'s expertise NOT /diy/. The users here are far more likely to be qualified to talk about the health and safety of the chemicals listed in the topic.

Redirecting the OP to take instructions from the kids and their box cutters in /diy/ is irresponsible.

Saying this topic is illegal is completely wrong.

You are a scourge to science.

>> No.4193908

http://www.fbi.gov/

>> No.4193910

>>4193908
http://www.fbi.gov/fun-games/

>> No.4193912

>>4193890
>quoting the rules
>/sci/ - Science & Math
>All science and math related topics welcome.
>Homework threads will be deleted, and the poster banned.
>No "religion vs. science" threads.

>> No.4193923

Now we're in agreement that harriet is wrong, back to the topic at hand.

The thermite itself is very stable, you need a blowtorch (or burning magnesium) to even think about igniting it, so don't worry about that.

Moreover, the magnesium ignites at well above the burning point of paper, so you would have to spend a couple minutes trying if you wanted to light it with paper (or a match).

I wouldn't even call it a bomb until you put the fuse in... Obviously an explosive is dangerous, the fuse can definately light the magnesium which burns at a VERY high temperature.

Frankly the whole thing sounded professional until it started talking about the matches, they're a huge saftey hazard as I can think of far too many ways for them to get jostled and make you regret it.

As for the explosive power, thermite doesn't really explode, it just burns, it's quite tame as long as you stay a few meters away (but that much thermite could definately burn through the engine of a tank, so watch out) thermate on the other hand is more erratic, (I know less about thermate, I think it releases about the same amount of energym but one of the products is a gas, making it a little explosive). If you're looking for a bomb, look elsewhere, but if you wanna put on some UV goggles (highly recommended, unless you don't particularly like your retinae) and watch a fireshow burn through a boulder in the park, this is for you.

As a final note, these reactions are NOT spontaneous and NOT sensitive to minute differences in proportions, so you don't need to worry about incinerating yourself while you make it (until you put those stupid matches on).

I'd keep the matches separate and just light it when you want to throw it.

One more thing: keep the tip on the glue gun away from the magnesium as you're gluing it.

>> No.4193932

>>4193923

When it ignites, you can't put it out.Throwing water on it will cause a steam explosion. Surprisingly it's a bit of a fire hazard, having it indoors is an example of a bad idea.

>> No.4193939

>>4193899
The moderators do not want instructions for how to make weapons and bombs to be posted anywhere on this site. /diy/ is where they would expect people to consider it, which is why they have the rule.
I assure you that religion and homework threads would not be welcome on /tg/ any more than here, even though there is no board specific rule.

>Chemicals are /sci/'s expertise NOT /diy/. The users here are far more likely to be qualified to talk about the health and safety of the chemicals listed in the topic.
It is an anonymous image board where everyone is free to post. People on /sci/ are no more qualified to discuss topics than people on /b/, the type of people that post is very similar.

>> No.4193960

>>4193852
You're really something else. Every time that I think that you hit the lowest of the low, you surprise me and fall even deeper on the 'retarded' ladder.

@OP - this thing has as much in common with military-grade grenades that fireworks with long-range missiles - sure, they fly in a somewhat similar way (but not really), and after some time they explode - but it's ridiculous to say that they are alike.

>> No.4193976

>>4193890

>She may annoy you to no end, but when she's quoting the rules, you're best off listening.

Hahaha what! You think this is some shit-box forum with "regulars" and "post-count"? Go shit in your hat.

>> No.4193989

>>4193939 People on /sci/ are no more qualified to discuss topics than people on /b/,

Except for the fact there are a lot of chemists in /sci/ who are very qualified to discuss this topic. If you don't see why this board is better suited for this discussion then there is no hope for you.

Fuck off already.

>> No.4193994

>>4193989
There are probably more chemists here, yes.
And I have no problem with chemistry being discussed, except when it is in direct relation to devising chemical ways to harm other human beings or their property.

>> No.4194037

>>4193994
I sincerely hope that you at least won't have any kids

>> No.4194051

>>4193994
Fireworks are illegal and are made to harm innocent people.

>> No.4194056

>>4194051
>Discussing illegal fireworks

Reported.

>> No.4194057

>>4194037
That is none of your business, and I actually intend to.

>>4194051
An incendiary grenade is not a firework.

>> No.4194073

>>4194057
Thermite is not an incendiary grenade

>> No.4194085
File: 19 KB, 300x100, tripcodes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4194057
In my country we have fireworks that only explode, and do not show any light visible to the human eye. They are considered fireworks.
OP wishes to make something that makes nice colors and is nice to look at. This too, is considered firework.

Pic was actually the banner while I was writing my post.

>> No.4194105
File: 7 KB, 206x237, bradpittFaceOhoh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ITT: Harriet is the OP and want to make at least one chemist rage for giving him the motivation to post informations.

>> No.4194133

Not everybody is English and thus in no fun allowed mode. In some countries fun is still legal, as is Thermite in in the US as well are flamethrowers. A thermite grenade is also legal, however his formula is kind of unsafe. OP wants information on how to conduct a perfectly legal activity and some trip fag says "NO NO ILLEGAL BAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW." And faceless sage anons show up even though sage does nothing. I think I know where this is going.
OP, ex military and science fan here (I know it sounds odd but it happens) and you really need to go over these instructions. For one, thermite burns really strong, and while the theory to ignite it is sound it is unsafe as fuck. While Thermite only makes fire, it burns hotter than an angry mario sun, and that can do bad things to you if your too close man.

>> No.4194187

>>4193994

We don't give a shit what the guy wants to do with thermite, we like science. Go have your period all over your beloved /b/ and kindly fuck off please?

>> No.4194240

>>4194085
And yet, this kind of incendiary device is illegal in US, where the servers of 4chan are located.

Illegal DIY explosives have always been frowned upon by the mods of 4chan, or at least since the first time moot got contacted by the authorities about it.

And believe it or not, it actually doesn't matter to the court whether the illegal device makes nice color flames or not, or whether it was made for fun or not.

If you don't have a carrying license for firearms, the police will bust your ass whether you just intended to hang it on your wall or rob a bank with it.

If you want to talk about the applicable chemistry, you can take OP's pic, edit out everything bar the chemicals and then talk about it.

>> No.4194248

>>4194240
Thermite is not illegal