[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 17 KB, 200x253, gott.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4189360 No.4189360 [Reply] [Original]

hey /sci/

I go to a liberal arts school in Canada that's attached to Dal (in halifax). I'm a Junior and I'm just starting to look at grad programs in Toronto and Waterloo, and some places in the states.

If I have a 4.0 and tons of recommendations and good research done already, what are the chances of me getting into a grad program for mathematics at a top tier school, coming from a mid tier one?

If it's any help I mostly take physics and maths courses

>> No.4189388

bump for experienced /sci/entists

>> No.4189392

with a 4.0? are you kidding? if you graduate with a 4.0 and a degree in essentially any science with research under your belt, you will most likely get into a top tier school with ease. but then again, i dont know your schools reputation, being canadian and all, but i would imagine its similar to the u.s., where its never going to be easy to get a 4.0

>> No.4189396

Is there anyone in mind you'd like to work with as your thesis advisor at the top tier schools? if so, contact them and see if you can start a correspondence, maybe forward them your CV. If they like what you have to say, this will improve the odds.

>> No.4189399

>>4189396
ahhh good idea!

thanks anon

>> No.4189402
File: 48 KB, 350x468, lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I go to a liberal arts school
lol

>in Canada
lololololo

>> No.4189406

>>4189399

don't mention it. Also, it gives you the chance to interview them. the last thing your want is to work under an obnoxious prick for 4-5 years!