[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 5 KB, 256x192, dontchagetit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4184212 No.4184212 [Reply] [Original]

For people taking math beyond basic calculus:

How do you approach your math classes?

Read the chapter before class? Homework before class?

>> No.4184215

For good professors, do the assigned problems, pay attention in class, study for exams.
For bad professors, study study study, hope for a curve.

>> No.4184220

Don't go to class do assignments or read the book. Cram for a weak before the final. Get a 50% and move on to the next course.

>> No.4184226

>>4184220
This is a terrible idea.

Cramming doesn't imprint the knowledge into your skull like you're supposed to. If you forget the shit you studied after the final exam, then you're going to be in the shit in future courses.

ESPECIALLY anything /sci/ related.

>> No.4184240

Obviously pay attention, study the material, do the assigned material etc.

Just make sure you have an understanding of the material that way it will be much more easy to do the problems/proofs when the exam comes.

To get this understanding, talk to other students in the class, re-read the sections covered in the text, and don't feel like you shouldn't do extra problems just because they are not assigned. Also talk to the professor if you have questions, he or she has office hours for a reason.

>> No.4184245

you guys take many notes?

notes during lecture?
notes while reading through the chapter?

>> No.4184248

>>4184245
yes
no, do questions at end

>> No.4184258

Do homework when you have plenty of time. A few hours before bed gets it hard in your mind.

>>4184245
>notes during lecture?
A few.

>notes while reading through the chapter?
Yes, rewrite the often horrible tables. For some reason the books are really bad at presenting material that can only be memorized so I redo it in neat tables.
If stuff needs to be studied then I'll combine those tables into a study sheet.

>> No.4184263

Watch youtube videos by people that are smarter than me.

>> No.4184269

>>4184245

This is really determined by my professor. If my professor gives sufficient lectures then I really won't take any notes when I review the chapter, all of my notes will be from lecture.

I mainly try to write down the proofs written during the lecture, as well as definitions theorems lemmas etc.

>> No.4184282

>>4184269

Yea, idk... copying down definitions is tedious, and it doesn't seem necessary if you... you know... read it

>> No.4184284

Read the chapter before lecture, pay attention, take notes, and do the homework afterwards as soon as possible while it's still fresh in your mind. For exams, simply review the homework and notes and be sure you have a solid conceptual framework of any proofs/formulae. Easy A.

>> No.4184292

understand the damn class. don't go "monkey see, monkey do" (ie, copying everything on the board), and asks questions when required.

>> No.4184313

>professor assigns homework due in 1 week
>wait 6 days
>look at problems
>open book and look at material
>do homework
>get As

>> No.4184317

>>4184282

Well sure, but for something like the definition of a primitive root mod n, it isn't always something that is instantaneously put into long term memory, especially if it is not used in the following sections.

>> No.4184320

>>4184313
That stops working eventually

>> No.4184330

>>4184320
that stops working at about after multivar calc

>> No.4184337

>>4184320
>>4184330
Not if you go to a shit school.

>> No.4184413

Read the chapter before class if you have a chance and it isnt going to absorb 459049645645 hours of your time. Not all material in the chapters may be covered so if it's long and convoluted: skim. Pay attention during class and try to understand; Only copy down examples that are relevant to your understanding, don't bother with proofs. Make notes using symbols by things you don't understand that can't be explained in one quick question. Ask good questions.

Do all assignments and homework. If your prof is good the hardest questions on your assignments are going to be similar to the questions on your midterm and final. Test yourself often and review things you don't understand or don't retain easily by reading their section in the textook. If there are questions you struggle with search for questions online or in your textbook and do them until you understand or until you realise that you need to ask for help.

Also do math everyday. Basically work hard. Pray hard.

>> No.4184419

Listen to the professor, do assigned work, do more work before exams, cheat during exams. Get anywhere from a 60 to an 80 and move on.

>> No.4184420

Start homework EARLY.

Both my roommates are engineering majors and they ALWAYS start their homework at 11 pm the night before it's due and pull all nighters.

I start my homework the day I get it and if I have questions, I ask during the next lecture. And my roommates wonder why I get better grades than them. I spend 20+ hours per homework assignment and start them a week early while they start the night before, only to spend 8 hours half-assing an important assignment.

>> No.4184430

>>4184419
>cheating
How does /sci/ feel about cheating, anyway? Do you guys cheat? Do you feel no need to do so? When you see somebody cheating, do you call them out? Do you let people cheat off you?

I think the majority of /sci/ feels superior to everybody else, so they won't cheat/won't let others cheat off them, but at the same time, they won't do shit if they see somebody cheating, unless it affects them in any way (he gets a higher score than you, etc.). Am I correct?

>> No.4184466

>>4184430
Every math final I go in with a paper with any equations I think I might need.

End up not needing it.

>> No.4184487

For years I was a fastidious notetaker, until I realized that in some classes you benefit more if you concentrate on the lecture and less on jotting everything down. It's hard to find this balance point but I'll say that I never write anything that is word for word in the book. However, it *is* important to write down good examples OF definitions and any eccentricities in how your professor defines things. (e.g. ring... identity or no?)

>> No.4184503

>>4184430

Anyone who cheats should be executed. If you need to cheat, you don't understand the material. I don't want some cheating nigger who doesn't understand stress analysis, etc. designing a passenger plane or something. Lives hang in the balance.

>> No.4184508

>>4184503
>>4184430
I say it works well enough.
The cheating is only really needed in the lower level courses. Upper level courses are hard to cheat in anyways, so you still need to learn your stuff.

>> No.4184781
File: 7 KB, 256x192, fixed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how did no-one else see this?!?

>> No.4184782

>>4184781
maybe because this isn't /b/

>> No.4184789

take notes in class
dont read books (though you should at some point i guess)
do homework a day before

>> No.4184818

>>4184782
uuuuuu look at mister tripfag, he says this is not /b/. Dis is zerious busines!