[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 44 KB, 500x667, ha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4135548 No.4135548 [Reply] [Original]

So in /sci/'s humble opinion how long should it take a person who has been out of school for a few years and never really took anything past algebra two in highschool to get up to calculus. Would I be an idiot if it took me a year?

>> No.4135553

I think you know the answer op.

>> No.4135559

Most of your time will probably be spent fumbling around to remember what you already learned.

If you understand your algebra well and know what functions are in-and-out, calc is smooth

>> No.4135561

Similar situation, it's been about a year and a bit since I started trying maths again and discovering calculus but I'm still feeling pretty shit at it.

Unmotivated and not putting in enough real study time isn't helping. CC work isn't challenging enough.

>> No.4135567

One year should do the job.

>> No.4135572

Well with about a month or so of self study I can start to get a lot of stuff down again but I have been running into huge problems with word problems. The math is super easy and on its own I can get no problem but it seems that as the years have gone by my ability to turn English into math has seriously degraded.

>> No.4135645

if you go to a CC youd prob. have to do algebra again since its been a while. so:
algebra class 1 semester(unless you test out)
then youd have to do a trig class 1 semester
then you could prob skip precalc if not 1 semester
thats already over a year. so one year isnt unreasonable. if you were really motivated you could do some self study and just test into it or skip a class or two.