[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 177 KB, 412x453, Pigface.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4122301 No.4122301 [Reply] [Original]

Philosophy= Questioning ; Processing ; Conclusion.
Science= Questioning ; Processing; Conclusion.

They both question everything and try to answer it.
The difference is that science uses very objective and strict ways of processing, thats why science prevailed and
produced useful things.

Philosophy VS Science = Chariot VS Car
You can't hate one over the other, because one is the advanced version of the other, a more useful version.
But if you actually say you're a "philosopher" or you think philosophy is something valid now then you're a retard.

Philosophy died when scientific method was born.

tl;dr I dont hate philosophy but its useless now.
This is to inform you and remind you to keep philosophy out of /sci/.

>> No.4122305

She looks like a pig.

Also, i believe too in science and i would kill for science.
Most useful belief system ever created.

>> No.4122308

>>4122301
>tl;dr I dont hate philosophy but its useless now.

yep because all ethical, judicial, political, normative, socio-cultural and economic problems have been resolved.

All we need now is to build faster engines durr hurr get out plebian

>> No.4122309

>Philosophy VS Science = Chariot VS Car

You are inane.

I really hope this is a troll thread.

>> No.4122313

>>4122301
Natural philosophy isn't the only type of philosophy though. Philosophy covers things like law, ethics, and other questions not in the same realm as science.

>> No.4122318

>>4122308
I hope you're trolling.

When did i said that science answered everything?
Am saying Philosophy is outdated.

You are nonsensical.

>> No.4122320

>>4122313
>>4122309
>>4122308
I dont think you grasp the idea of philosophy and science.

>> No.4122322

>>4122309
Instead using an implication and think you said something valid, explain yourself.

Do you think Philosophy where do you think philosophy is useful?

>> No.4122324

>>4122308
>yep because all ethical, judicial, political, normative, socio-cultural and economic problems have been resolved.

I bet you think Nietzsche created calculus.

>> No.4122325

Why are we here?

>> No.4122326

You are now aware that there is such a thing as philosophy OF science, and that it deals with issues that are at the basis of all science.

>> No.4122327

>>4122318
>Am saying Philosophy is outdated.

In what sense is it outdated if it still functions to illuminate a million different problems and questions?

It's like saying intellectual rational discourse is outdated.

>> No.4122328

What?
Like anyone gives a fuck about philosophy, only angst-teens think philosophy matters.

>> No.4122333

>>4122325
Thats the point you moron.

Philosophy can't answer A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.
Its either science or nothing.
Philosophy is as good as my opinion on art.

>> No.4122345

>>4122322

>Instead using an implication and think you said something valid, explain yourself.
>Do you think Philosophy where do you think philosophy is useful?

Philosophy encompasses science.

You are acting as though they are independent, and it shows just how uninformed you are.

Now please kindly, get the fuck out.

>> No.4122348

>>4122327
Thats why we have scientific hypothesis.

>> No.4122353

before things get out of hand, it needs to be said,

Philosophy is the original science. Science is based on philosophy. Without philosophy, there would be no science.

>> No.4122358

>>4122345

>You are acting as though they are independent, and it shows just how uninformed you are.
It seems you have a hard time reading.
I explicitly stated that science is the advanced version of philosophy.
Which means i stated exactly the opposite, which means either you're blind or you can't perform basic mental calculations

Children like you are the cancer of /sci/ take your childish philosophy and out of here.

>> No.4122359

>>4122333

At least that question is in the scope of philosophy.

>> No.4122360

>>4122353
Read OP, thats what i said.

Everyone here has a short-memory impairment?
You are replying to a post and you forget what it was written.

>> No.4122373

>>4122348
>Thats why we have scientific hypothesis.

you're derping hard

Except those don't apply to normative questions and the interesting social, legal and ethical and political questions

this discussion is philosophical in nature anyway, whether to apply the scientific method to something or not is a matter of philosophy

what IS the scientific method, or what it should be is another philosophical issue

basically anything interesting is philosophical and anything troll-worthy is philosophical

>> No.4122377

>>4122358

>I explicitly stated that science is the advanced version of philosophy.

Now its just obvious you're trolling.

In the case that you aren't, learn the basics of philosophy and science before making shit threads.

>> No.4122379

>>4122373
I think you confused some things right there.
Mind you, am very open, if you say something valid i'll change my mind.

I think you're saying that science= physics, chemistry
Philosophy= everything else

But its not how it is.

>> No.4122383

Philosophy is about people arguing how the world should be, and try to fit it to their needs.

Science is about people trying to find HOW the world is really like, and prove it.

Thats why philosophy is invalid.

>> No.4122388

OP and EVERYONE else posted itt are fucking retards.

Science, Religion, Mathematics, Ethics, etc are ALLLLL branches of philosophy.
In turn, philosophy is a branch of logic.

Logic is an innate function, we are made out of the stuff that make the universe.
We and the universe work in the same way.

>> No.4122390

Philosophers expound their ideas from armchairs and ivory towers, where the facts of reality don't concern them.

Thats why philosophy can't solve anything.
Philosophy questions, Science answers.

>> No.4122393

Philosophy is superior to science.
Philosophy MADE science.
Science is a TOOL of philosophy.

Philosophy= Einstein
Science= Calculator

>> No.4122394

These kinds of threads make me doubt why I even browse this board.

Why did you feel the need to do this OP?

>> No.4122398

>>4122394
Because i had exactly that feeling.
Sometimes i get into /sci/ and see useless retarded unscientific talk by uneducated idiots.
This is a reminder to get their talk into /x/.

>> No.4122399

The more scientific look at philosophical issues where people get called on their bull more often when they throw around bullshit statistics is part of what makes /sci/ interesting. I know you feel smug about choosing a field that puts bread on the table; this is /sci/, we all do. That doesn't mean we can't talk philosophy, too.

>> No.4122401

97% of arguing done anywhere is due to semantics.

As i see, both "for" and "against" philosophy are right, they are too stupid to understand what they are actually saying.

>> No.4122403

>>4122399
Define a philosophical issue.

Math and Science can explain everything.

>> No.4122409

>>4122403

Philosophical problems are akin to mathematical problems. They cannot be solved by experiment.

>> No.4122406

>>4122403
>Define a philosophical issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp8aTYUrPi0

>> No.4122412

>>4122403

defining an issue, defining a problem, is the beginning of philosophical investigation

>> No.4122413

>>4122409
wow, after saying things like that, how do you live with yourself?

>> No.4122416

>>4122403
Where math and science can solve a "problem," philosophy is where we decide whether or not something is a problem.
Example, math and science would decide how to go about sterilizing those with inheritable genetic diseases, philosophy questions whether or not we should.
The discussion of whether or not it is right to do such a thing, with /sci/'s focus on facts and logic over emotion is what makes these things interesting here. Why would you want to have those conversations gone, or would you argue that a right-or-wrong answer can be gleaned from the example I posted via science and math, without philosophical perspective?

>> No.4122420

>>4122406

I just saw that.

I ask these questions myself, and science has the answer.
Physics and evolutionary biology show that freedom is subjective and arbitrary.

>> No.4122439

>>4122413

Easily. The "universal truths" of mathematics are not necessarily anything more than a construction that was created to serve a purpose. The same goes for all sorts of philosophical systems.

>> No.4122449

>>4122439
No.
Universe works mathematically.

If you're implying that mathematics are subjective then you're wrong.
We might invented the symbolism of mathematics but the logic of it was discovered.

>> No.4122483

>>4122449

The funniest thing about your posts is that you are making philosophical propositions while debasing philosophy. Anyway, saying that the universe behaves mathematically is saying that the universe behaves according to rules aka patterns or laws, which is something which cannot be defended empirically because you encounter the problem of induction. Rather one assumes that the universe is subject to law, so that the prospect of a unified science is possible: he constructs a metaphysical system to serve a purpose.

I consider math to be objective because its rules are defined, but I also consider matters of philosophy and aesthetics to be objective in the proper hands of one who can define their rules. Don't confuse universality with objectivity.

>> No.4122488
File: 18 KB, 400x371, hi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4122301
Philosophy died when scientific method was born.

Hi five broppenhiemer!

Coz somebody dropped a truth bomb!

>> No.4122497

>>4122488

Science: boring, tedious experimentation and mathematics
Philosophy: exciting discussions about what should be called true

>> No.4122499

>>4122488
fucker do you think my hand is that small?

>> No.4122507

>>4122497
Dude, i am a debater and critical thinker, but i consider science 100x more usfull than sentences beginning with:

"in my belief"

Yes, i have a collection of science qualifications, i'm just saying that i ALSO do active debate... when i can with a crowd like this: *points at the world*

>> No.4122514

>>4122507

Stop debating. Start doing philosophy.

>> No.4122517

>>4122488
What is more valuable: Liberty, or security?
Science can't answer this question; it can't even be used to process it because it is a value judgement not an empirical matter.

Ethical philosophy may not be able to provide an objective answer to the question, but there is value in contemplating it. Philosophy means to analyze an idea. Rejecting ethical philosophy is saying we should not think about ethical issues, we should just make value judgements based on emotional gut reactions instead of attempting to apply logic and reason.

>> No.4122518

>>4122483
We are the universe.
We are built upon and from laws.
Life is a replicating molecule gone wild.

Every life form uses logic, that is physical laws, one way or the other.

Aesthetic's rules are well described in the brain.
Our prefrontal cortex allowed us to use extended information in memory for us to manipulate.
Which gives us the feel that humans are the only ones that posses logic and consciousness.

This is why i don't consider my thought process as philosophical, all of my opinions are derived and built upon scientific evidence.
Lets not fool ourselves, it is bound to use logical induction to attain new understanding.
The induction philosophy uses are fundamentally weak in contrast to science.

I think you're playing with the semantics.

>> No.4122525

Engineer here.

Philosophy is for faggots that doesn't physics or math.

>> No.4122524

>>4122514
Does that help "in your belief?"

You must be dumb enough to think debating is only for wieners who wanna win every relationship.

Its not.
Its about right and wrong.

>> No.4122530

>>4122517
Critical thinking can answer that question.

Its an excluding the options fallacy. Its like cake OR ice cream. When everyone would rather choose cake AND ice cream.

So... Liberty is a part of security. Thats why we want it.

Dont get caught up in political buzzwords.

>> No.4122532

>>4122517
>>4122517
Its like saying Joe is a fat kid sitting all day in his home doing nothing.
And Greg is a successful businessman, fit and handsome.

Joe=philosopher
Greg=scientist

You point out that Greg isn't a good swimmer.
I mean Joe even worse than Greg in swimming, but you go there and say Joe has a better life because Greg isn't good a good swimmer compared to the general population.

If science can't solve those questions of freedom and security(swimming) then sure as hell philosophy can't.

>> No.4122535

>>4122530

>Critical thinking can answer that question.

Critical reasoning is a sub-area of philosophy.

>> No.4122537

>>4122525
Critical thinker here; math is not even a form of logic.

Wanna know why?

Coz you input the beginning numbers. Logic is about using what life throws your way. Not picking and choosing, that way lies bias.
But... i'm not going to say much more as my knowledge of maths is very shallow.

>> No.4122538

>>4122517
>He thinks science is measuring the speed of neutrinos

>> No.4122541

Any arts degrees ae basicaly for faggots that can't cut it in engineern and hard science.

>> No.4122543

>>4122535
I'm sure thats what your teacher; whos bad at critical thinking, wanted you to believe.

You couldn’t be more wrong. Oh and its critical THINKING not reasoning. Perhaps because the word reasoning implies there are alternatives. But with true logic there are no alternatives. Theres logic and illogic. The choice is obvious if your well trained enough.

>> No.4122547

>>4122518

You're now just repeating the mantras of the modern philistine. I don't understand how your post even attempts to address mine.

I'll say this, metaphysics is to physics as metalanguage is to object language. Philosophy says: there are physical laws. Physics says: the gravitational attraction between two bodies falls with the square of distance. Philosophy makes statements about the propositions of physics. This is just one example of what philosophy does, but it is most elucidatory.

>>4122524

It's about appealing to the judges/audiences convictions.

>> No.4122559

>>4122543

>I'm sure thats what your teacher; whos bad at critical thinking, wanted you to believe.

No, it's an actual research area, and has been for quite some time. So you are wrong. See here: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-informal/

>You couldn’t be more wrong.

Ok guy on the internet.

>Oh and its critical THINKING not reasoning. Perhaps because the word reasoning implies there are alternatives.

It's the same thing. How does it imply alternatives?

>But with true logic there are no alternatives.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/No_True_Scotsman

>Theres logic and illogic.

There are perfectly reasonable ways to accept things about the world without logic. Statistics is one way that science uses all the time. As is testimony, which is the most heavily used type of knowledge in day-to-day life.

>The choice is obvious if your well trained enough.

*you're

>> No.4122567

>>4122543

You sound like a crank.

>> No.4123945

>>4122547
No.
Philosophy doesnt says "there are physical laws".
Empirical evidence and pure logical reasoning show there are laws.

>> No.4123957

>>4122301
true for questions that matter science shits all over the rest of philosophy, leaving all other realms of philosophy besides science to squabble over questions we can only ever speculate over. Science gives us more certainty than any other real of philosophy. other philosophies aren't dead but they will never reach the same certainty without becoming science.

>> No.4123977
File: 24 KB, 640x480, 1297008651775.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4122559
>States logical fallacy of other
>Uses logical fallacy

>> No.4124041

Science IS philosophy, in fact science used to be called "Natural Philosophy".

>> No.4124053

and now everyone realizes op is a shitty troll and you should all feel bad for being retarded plebeians

Also philosophy encompasses science

science is not an advanced form of philosophy, it is a subset of philosophy.

>> No.4124067

>>4123945

The logical reasoning requires the use of non-scientific propositions, ergo it is philosophy.