[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 82 KB, 400x368, 1901.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4110417 No.4110417 [Reply] [Original]

Can someone explain to me what a naked singularity is?

How can a object have mass, zero volume, and no event horizon?

>> No.4110430
File: 18 KB, 398x343, i am funny.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A naked singularity is a singularity without clothes on.

>> No.4110439

I asked several of my physics professors what a naked singularity is. None of them knew.

>> No.4110450

A black hole not covered with half-eaten galaxies. I'm guessing.

>> No.4110457

you can think of it geometrically as sticking a needle through space-time (without tearing it). there isn't any initial curvature surrounding the poke hole. it's hypothetical, of course.

>> No.4110458
File: 25 KB, 200x200, face009.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4110450
Nope. A naked singularity lacks an event horizon... apparently. I don't fucking understand it.

>> No.4110483

>>4110457
What I don't understand is the lack of an event horizon. If an object has mass then you are attracted to it. If an object has no volume, then you can get infinitely close to it. If you approach the object then sooner or later you will get so close that you cannot escape its gravity. That is its event horizon and every object with mass and zero volume should have it, but every source I've come across defines naked singularities as black holes without event horizons.

>> No.4110488
File: 524 KB, 760x901, face008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4110507

Something about them spinning really fast so the angular momentum cancels out gravity, but this just raises further questions.
> How the fuck can something with no volume "spin".
>How the fuck does spinning cancel gravity?

>> No.4110539

>>4110507
Actually, that makes sense. The spin of black holes spins space. The ergosphere is the region of space around a black hole where it is possible to extract energy from within the event horizon due to the dragging of space-time. I guess if the spinning is great enough, there is no real event horizon to speak of because no matter how close you get to the singularity you can still escape.

>> No.4110562

a "naked singularity" is a load of bullshit made up by some theoretical physicist, and popularized by his cock-gobbling lackies who are trying to graduate, get published, earn tenure, sell books, or just feel special.

The scientist who hypothesized it is one of those fags who would interrupt your game of four-square on the playground in 3rd grade to say "I bet you don't know what E=mc^2 means!" or "What's the square root of 4096? Bet you don't know"
When he got to college, he was surrounded by people who knew more than him, so he made up his own shit. He did this until eventually someone introduced him to the concept of a singularity. He loved the idea of something so incredible, but couldn't stand the fact that it had already been studied in depth and that there were many people more informed on the subject than himself.
So while a very intelligent, very eloquent professor was speaking on the subject of singularities, this faggot stood up and shouted "DO YOU KNOW WHAT A NAKED EVENT HORIZON IS? I BET YOU DONT!"
and the surprised but modest professor said "No, I've never heard of it."
and the faggot said "IT DOESN'T HAVE AN EVENT HORIZON! YOU'RE STUPID!" and he got a bunch of other faggots to preach his shit.

>> No.4110677

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_singularity#Predicted_formation