[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 270 KB, 1407x660, iraged.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4106807 No.4106807 [Reply] [Original]

>pic fucking related

1) so i noticed a lot of people don't give a fuck about science or even acquiring knowledge outside of their own comfort zones just because they feel like they don't need it. bill nye aside, how do you teach science to the mass of brainless fucktards who feel like this information doesn't impact their life?

2) inb4 not personal army:

if anybody has the names of these people or the uncensored version, we should drop some knowledge on these ignorant niggers because people like this are the reason the u.s. is the way it is today

>> No.4106815

Blue guy got roasted lol

>> No.4106822

Fuckin' magnets dude. How do they work?

Miracles.

BOOM ROASTED.

>> No.4106825
File: 304 KB, 1407x660, gONpX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Honestly...Bill Nye the Science guy is EXACTLY how you reach out to these people.

You need to make science interesting.
Give them some fun with their knowledge and when they run across that subject again, they'll think "Hey, I remember that, sort of"
And the science gets backed up.

As for your unique case...well, there will always be the ones we can't save.

A quick google search got me this pic, by the way.

>> No.4106827

A couple of things I've noticed about curiosity:

1. Very young children are complete sponges. They're interested in everything by default. But, parents can be impatient. The parent has seen a supermarket shelf or a sidewalk crack or a discarded paper cup enough times that they dismiss their potential interest, and drag the kid onward. Also, parenting is flippin' tiring. The urge to give your kid something pointlessly distracting just to give yourself a break is common. I think some have their curiosity numbed quite early.

2. Schools hurry to deliver a mass of information to students. The curriculum places volume over process and inventiveness, and in their rush, they spoil puzzle after puzzle by providing the answer up front. "This is a circle. The formula for the area is etc. The formula for the circumference is etc. Now plug in these values." This further deadens curiosity. Even fruitless attempts to discover these formulas through discussion would make them far more interesting.

Indulging curiosity takes time and patience most educators and parents don't have, I guess.

>> No.4106848

This is not a personal army request. A PAR is where one asks others to DO something for them (e.g. prank call someone, DDOS a website), not where one asks for information/advice. Also, it's best not to use "inb4" in an OP. It makes you look silly and frequently entails derailment of the thread.

>> No.4106960
File: 76 KB, 595x413, walterlebowski.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4106827
i like your style. wish more people out there were like you

>>4106848
no, the thread isn't supposed a personal army request, but i figured messaging these people on facebook about this niggerdom satisfies the criteria of a PAR

>> No.4107087

brainless fucktard here.
I know a whole bunch of nothing, but I do wish to learn. I prefer not to talk about topics I don't know, since I, well, don't know enough about them.
thing is, I have trouble remembering details. my father reads a fuckload of books, science books among them, and talks about them with me quite often, and while I do understand them, if anyone asks me about what we were discussing the day after I'll only vaguely remember.

>> No.4107165

>>4107087

Try eating more healthy and exercising, you might be depressed. You might be exhausted all the time because you are stressed, or just don't get to do things that you enjoy. If that doesn't give you a more healthy mind, then you're probably deluding yourself with your supposed interest in science. But that is most likely not the case, make sure you get healthy and happy.

>> No.4107234

>>4106807

Well, and this is just for starters, you don't call them brainless fucktards and ignorant niggers.

>> No.4107277

>>4107234

I take it you're not a realist then.

>> No.4107278
File: 116 KB, 1256x1075, 1307343371829.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>that image

>> No.4107416
File: 22 KB, 277x277, stanzadubtake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4107278
them posters
>>4106848
>>4107087
>>4107165
>>4107234

>> No.4107434

Lol blue guy got his ass beat. Fuckin retard.

>> No.4107463

Unfortunately, most of this may be a societal thing rather than just how the classes are taught. This generation feasts on instant gratification and a lot of people simply don't take pride in what they do. Then the ones who feel like they want to learn are pressured by their peers to be lazy and ignorant.

I do think we could change this all, but it would take a hell of an effort in the educational system. There was a documentary I saw on CBS one day that analyzed a scholarship program at UMB (I think). These students had to go through a summer semester without any technology, so as to make them more reliant on their peers and their own selves to reach answers. Without the Internet. Without phones. And, gee whiz, these kids had to find other ways to entertain themselves than Facebook. Turns out most of these students became more confident in their abilities and more passionate about math and science. But it does beg the question as to whether these students were already self-motivated to take interest in this program. I personally don't know, but I admire the idea of trusting people instead of machines because it makes people more confident and they learn that others have to learn, too, so they become more inclined to learn. Its about creating a culture suited to learning in my opinion. But I don't think that drawing out proofs to 7th graders is necessarily the answer.

>> No.4107476

>>4107277

How does a realist relate to insulting people?

There are other ways to convince them if they're willing to listen, and we'll need to since everyone is different, but most people react negatively to insults.

Some people want a rational explanation, others want a selfish one, and still others will need a guilt trip. We just need to find a way to identify which one they would most likely want.

Also, we need to start promoting creativity.

>> No.4107508

>>4107463
modern day technology creates sooo many distractions

instant communications 24/7... its the same way i notice people who are no less than 5 years my junior (im 27), especially girls, use their phones all the time during social gatherings with people right in front of them. if something is jsut a little bit boring, they can connect into a distraction instantaneously.

i find myself also getting more impatient the more i use this kind of technology. like if i am bored, and if i want to do something else, i just can

>> No.4107529

The blue guy should have at least pointed out how theoretical physics help made GPS systems work.

Also:

> /sci/ mad about others not respecting your discipline because they think it's useless

THE IRONING

>> No.4107548

>>4107508
Well, the Internet (and technology in general) has certainly sped the way we communicate and has opened up a whole new world of resources that may not have been accessible before. That truly was the intent of the Internet: speed us up, make us learn faster and be able to communicate rapidly with others. And it certainly has had many benefits, especially with social movements and protests. It has opened up a whole new inexpensive world for anyone to learn. But people have taken the Internet and abused it for its abilities so it really hasn't made much of a difference for those who aren't intrinsically motivated to learn. It's bad because it has such great potential but people sometimes take it for granted.