[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 100 KB, 1280x873, 5RgVL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4102421 No.4102421 [Reply] [Original]

I have a general question for you /sci/;

What scientific careers require the least amount of advanced mathematics? I love science, but I can't math. Srsly, past Algebra and Geometry...can't do it.

>> No.4102434

>>4102421

existential philosophy.

>> No.4102451

Holy shit, is that cat capability of moving that way? That's fucking awesome.

>> No.4102457
File: 33 KB, 263x236, 1318844090020.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm in the same boat. I'm shit at maths but very good at chemistry and design.

I graduated with a Masters in Chem. Eng last year and dodged loads of maths papers.

>mfw

>> No.4102452

In the same boat as you OP. I'm like a high functioning downsy when it comes to maths. I'm thinking biotechnology tho, doesn't seem too math heavy from what I gather

>> No.4102470

OP hur.

See, what I'm most interested in just so happens to be the area that is heavily mathematically based. Aerospace engineering, string theory, general physics. So I'm kind of fucked. But I just can't bring myself to do anything NOT related to science, so there has to be something.

>> No.4102483

>>4102457
Dude, how can you do Chemistry without the maths? I recall Chemistry in high school being like a second Algebra class with the periodic table thrown in there.

>> No.4102485

>>4102470

You're shit outta luck bro. Maths in the language of physics so you really are buggered if thats what you want to do.
Try medical physics though. That may be lighter on the maths but still kinda physicy

>> No.4102510
File: 2 KB, 227x261, 1302804903555.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4102483

Stoichiometry and chemical equations =/= maths. What I meant was all that calculus bullshit and differentials/integrals/derivatives blahblahblah. I just had no time for that shit; it was pissing about with numbers for the sake of pissing about with numbers and all you got out at the end was another number, not a tangible object. I just have no patience for it.

Been working at this company as a chem. eng. for a year now, got a patent to my name and a pilot plant has been built according to my designs and specs and is running better than I could have hoped. All I needed to do for it was a few spreadsheets in Excel and some basic calculations for flow rates/heat transfer etc. I'm perfectly happy with that back-of-the-envelope maths, its all that abstract crap I can't stand.

>> No.4102512

Caveman doesn't require it

>> No.4102516

Read up on Faraday.

>> No.4102580

>>4102421

Sociology. Duh.

>> No.4102590

Magnetology

>> No.4102606

Geology is very light on math unless you get into geophysics.

Most universities, however, will require you to take all 4 cal classes anyway.

>> No.4102610

If you are genuinely terrible at math, you probably have low intelligence

>> No.4102743
File: 30 KB, 339x517, 47ghW.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4102610
OP here. Thanks bra. Helps a lot.

But honestly I think it's more to do with the fact that for some reason, math infuriates me. I usually pick up on things really quick, I've never been much for studying, and I always made it through with at least a B. But when it comes to math, it takes a LOT more effort than I'm used to putting forth. I'm clinically depressed, I get discouraged easily, and when something doesn't come to me quickly I just get more and more frustrated with it to the point that I simply cannot think straight at all.

I think if I had a tutor, if someone taught me math 1 on 1, it would go a lot better.

>> No.4102758

>>4102457

how did you do chem enegineering wqithout math?

I'm looking to do it aswell, how difficult does the math get up to?

>> No.4102789

>>4102758
To be frank, I'm confused how that guy did it too... I'm a Chemical Engineering student, and I can't honestly see how you can get through it without a thorough knowledge of Calc I-III and ODEs (at the very least... even Linear Algebra and PDE can be crucial sometimes).

>> No.4102854

>>4102510

how to do chemical engineering without knowing/being good at differential equations?

I'm a freshman engineer and I find the few math courses that I have to take to be fairly fun. (linear algebra, stats, calc 1-3, DE,numerical methods)

Also for anyone wondering, in Highschool everything lacks rigor, I took highschool calculus and thought I was decent at it, but most people realize that they don't understand the proofs or theorems at all in uni, they just learn the computations.

Try proving the mean value theoreom, fundemental theorem of calculus, basicly I'm saying you don't know shit about math until you take upper level math courses.

I can say I'm good at computations, but no, I'm not good at math.

>> No.4102885

>>4102854

Any advice for a future Chem. Eng?

what about maths? I've got some time off before uni starts anything I should teach myself to get a head start on?

>> No.4102907

Biology has zero math.

But be prepared to be mocked for that very reason. I actually met a biologist who couldn't do basic algebra.

>> No.4102914

>>4102885

-try to sit by the few hot girls, they'll probably drop out, but at least you might know them
- you won't have a life
-get smart bros that know whats up, not leechers
-do your homework and studying whenever you have free time, you can't waste time like in HS
-1 lecture is like 1 week of HS
-your going to get a shitty test mark in your first semester, happened to most people, except the absolute smartest asians., don't stress about it
-NEVER think about dropping out

>> No.4102931

You can't. You need math. If you can't do math, then I'm sorry but science isn't for you.

Good luck sitting in a cubicle handling phone calls from irrational, angry people and reporting to a boss who probably only has a high school diploma.

>> No.4102961

>>4102510
For the sake of lulz,let's call the fundamental substance which the world is made of 'magic'.
There are two types of magic users-sorcerers and wizards.
Sorcerers are the ones that have an intuitive understanding and a 'connection' with magic.In less batshit insane terms,these are the people who can solve problems (in your chase,chemistry related) by intuition.

The other type of magic users are wizards-the people who don't have a 'connection' with magic,but can see the patterns in which the magic flows.
Again,in non-batshit-insane-rpg terms,these are the people who can work through problems formally (using mathematical symbols and formalisms).

Notice that these two types of magic users are working with the same thing-magic.Or,to put it simply,they are approaching real-world problems form different angles.Wizards use symbols,which can help formalize and illuminate the insight and intuitions of Sorcerers.

I'm not saying that people can only be either a sorcerer or a wizard-you can be somethin in between,

The point is-don't be afraid of math.

>> No.4102964

>>4102931
Its not really that simple.

For example in genetic biology you have to be quite a wizard in chemistry and chemistry easily takes large amount of math knowledge to work out.

>> No.4103011

>>4102931
Yes, because other than the fields of science, every other career in the world will land you in a cubicle.

>> No.4103054

BA/BS molecular biology --> PhD molecular biology (or related sub-field)

You'd need Calc I, for Gen Chem and Intro Physics.

>> No.4103323
File: 7 KB, 549x386, 1278643636960.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4102758
>>4102789
>>4102854
>>4102885

Once you get into industry and out of the brainrape that is university, you'll find that no company pays its engineers $40 an hour to sit there and grind maths all day. There are programs and simulators out there that will do all that bullshit for you. As an engineer, your job is the DESIGN, not calculate.

That said, if you go into a position that requires you to really design something from the ground up thats completely new then yeah you may find yourself needing the maths. If you go into a consulting firm, yeah they do grind the maths quite a lot, but again there are programs that do it for you.
Private industry cares about the results in the fastest possible way, they don't want you to show your working and they don't give a shit how you cme up with the answer so long as its not retarded.

Protip: Always be conservative. If you reckon that a tank will take 100 Bar f pressure then state that it will only take 90Bar. Any engineer worth his salt is always cautious; no-one ever got injured by having a unit operation sightly overdesigned. The only people who care are the beancounters and they don't have any fucking clue if you are bullshitting them or not. Never sign off on something that you can't assure yourself will not explode.

>> No.4104515

>>4103323

the more you know...

>> No.4104518

test subject

>> No.4104544

>>4103323
thanks to you, as a biomedical engineering i will over design everything .

>> No.4104550

Get your fucking shit together and study math. Everyone with an IQ >105 can be good at maths.

>> No.4104552
File: 145 KB, 599x788, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4103054
fascinating, tell me more about it.

>> No.4104558

>>4102421

You can't do physics at all without math, I used to be a retard at math but then I studied hard and I mean super hard, and I'm an expert at math, so much so that I picked up a math major along the way and enjoy it much more than physics.

Just like everyone else in this thread, study hard, get a degree, it's not hard to learn math, it's just hard for you to apply yourself.