[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 104 KB, 500x452, 1316555515565.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4093893 No.4093893 [Reply] [Original]

Hiya /sci/

I've always had a lifelong interest in science, especially biology. I've read books on science by various authors, like Sagan and Dawkins. But here's the thing; I'm taking a future career in TV Broadcasting. Does that make me any less intelligent in your eyes? The science classes in my school were shit and bored me, and I was frankly terrible at chemistry. Besides, working in the TV industry was always a dream career for me.

>> No.4093901 [DELETED] 
File: 36 KB, 656x411, costanzabiology4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I've always had a lifelong interest in science, especially biology
>biology

Stopped reading there.

>> No.4093968

Biology is a hard career path, you basically need to reach masters level to make any money.

Though it is more rewarding that the TV industry.

I am an ecologist, though have spent a majority of my time working in business analyzing their mountains of raw data.

Basically every doors opens if you can dominate statistics.

>> No.4093987

>>4093901

We all know that you failed biology.
No need to be so butthurt about it.

>> No.4093991

>>4093968
>biology
>hard science

>> No.4094001

>>4093968
Right now, I'm satisfied with my career path, but have had inferiority tendencies. I don't mouth off as dumb in conversations, but I always feel like people think of me as dumb when I mention that I'm doing something that isn't being a doctor, lawyer or engineer.

This isn't something where I can just think "fuck what they think of me", I need to know if people going in the aforementioned career paths think of people like me as dumber

>> No.4094009
File: 23 KB, 279x320, 1305350275457.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4093893

>dat pic

SOUNDS LEGIT

>> No.4094016

>>4094001
>I need to know if people going in the aforementioned career paths think of people like me as dumber

Engineer here. I don't care. If you're a professional scientist, it's probably because it is your passion, so good for you.

>> No.4094019

>interest in science
>read books by carl sagan and dawkins
That is not science.
Also, fuck your question.

>> No.4094391

>Does that make me any less intelligent in your eyes?
Who cares what /sci/ thinks? /sci/ has a lot of people with their heads so far up their asses that the only means of satisfaction for them is to show off what they know and tell anyone who disagrees with them that they are wrong.

This place may be intelligent, but that doesn't stop the people here from being belligerent assholes. As long as you're going about life in a way that doesn't come at the deliberate expense of other people, whatever you do is fine.

That said, don't give up entirely on science. Be careful with what you say and how much you claim to know, though. As long as you are constantly asking people on what they think and for their opinions, that'll get you far, no matter what career you're going into. And I warn you, that might not be easy with a career in media where your job is to proclaim an absolute truth.

tl;dr,
Don't sell yourself out, and you got my respect.

>> No.4094403

>>4094019
>Carl Sagan: He attended the University of Chicago, where he participated in the Ryerson Astronomical Society, received a bachelor of arts with general and special honors in 1954, a bachelor of science in 1955, and a master of science in physics in 1956 before earning a PhD in astronomy and astrophysics in 1960.

>Richard Dawkins: He studied zoology at Balliol College, Oxford, where he was tutored by Nobel Prize–winning ethologist Nikolaas Tinbergen, graduating in 1962. He continued as a research student under Tinbergen's supervision, receiving his M.A. and D.Phil. degrees by 1966, and remained a research assistant for another year.

>not science

You're dumb?