[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 28 KB, 600x428, electrical.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4086918 No.4086918 [Reply] [Original]

I am an electrical engineer in my junior year of college and am getting very worried. I have heard several accounts now of engineers who graduated with a degree, only to find that they could not land a single job in their field, and took jobs that were completely unrelated to what they wanted to do.
What I am asking is for people who did major in engineering and landed a job, what was it that you did that enabled you to succeed? And for those who did not do so well after graduation, what went wrong, what mistakes did you make, and what would you have done over?
Major? Sub-branch? University? GPA? Current Salary?

>> No.4086942

Bump motherfuckers

>> No.4086955

depends what school/gpa really.

why would any employer hire someone with a shit gpa and shit tier school.

>> No.4087043

>>4086918

Oh fuck I know at least one of you bastards is an Engineering Major graduate. It's fucking inevitable. I don't care if you fuck-up or how badly, I just want to know what mistakes you made along the way. Or if you did well, what you felt went right?

This will take like 5 min and I could learn a great deal from it. This is not something that any amount of digging through textbooks is going to get me, and most of the professors graduated into an environment completely different than this one, many decades ago.

>> No.4087052

its all about personality.

>> No.4087068

>>4086918
I majored in engineering from UC riverside with a 2.5 gpa and still manage to get a good job. I work for BP now.

>> No.4087085
File: 25 KB, 347x500, Nude1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4087068

God damn, thanks man. That is refreshing to hear. I just needed SOME perspective on how bad the job market is. Here have a black-and-white artistic nude on me.

>> No.4087114

Why is it that you engineering guys think you're so smart, but you can't handle the simplest of economic facts? In other words, you're autistic, aren't you? You focused on the goal of an engineering degree but on no larger issue at all, like "will my going into big debt for this degree allow me to get a good job".

>> No.4087117

>what was it that you did that enabled you to succeed?
I went to my school's job fairs.

>> No.4087137
File: 24 KB, 390x518, Nude2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4087114

U MAD BRO? Just looking for advice here, not attempting to flaunt anything.

>>4087117
Thank you as well. What was your Major/GPA and what jobs did you look at?

>> No.4087144

>>4087137
EE, 3.3 or something? Embedded programming and security.

>> No.4087145

Artistic nudes BTW, enrichment for the soul, as well as the intellect. And a bunch of other justifications that enable the posting of nekkid ladies.

>> No.4087153

>>4087144
Just kidding, 3.03 ಥ_ಥ‏

>> No.4087174

>>4087153

Trolling me or what? I'm becoming a little to disinterested to actually try to figure out if you are serious or not.

>> No.4087177

>>4087174
Yes, I'm trolling you via my GPA, somehow

>> No.4087231

Biomedical Engineering/Biomaterials and Tissue/Drexel '11/3.25/65k

School offered Co-op so I graduated with 2.5 years experience in my field. Hired 4 months before I graduated.

Most companies care more about past work experience and whether or not they can get along with you in the workplace than GPA or coursework.

>> No.4087261
File: 109 KB, 1280x651, Nude3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4087231

Thanks for the hint, I should start looking for an internship then.

Do any of you document your projects in a portfolio or blog or something, to point out to potential employers when applying for a job?

>> No.4087268

>not getting a PhD
>2011

>> No.4087282

>>4087268
By the time I'm able to get a PhD it won't be 2011. Does this post still apply to me?

>> No.4087285

>>4087261

Besides a resume and cover letters, I have a website which contains CAD work and designs I have done personally as well as past work experience etc..

info@yourname.com looks impressive on a resume. You have to realize there are a lot of people out there with the same or better qualifications than you, going the extra mile and not being socially retarded often lands you a good job.

>> No.4087286

graduated from NCSU with 3.4 GPA in EE. was offered a job at Schneider Electric one state over, declined. Took job locally with a company that creates fiber optic broadband infrastructure. The job pays excellently but is way too easy/boring, I don't feel like I'm really using any of my school knowledge and fear I won't be seen as having very valuable experience for future jobs. I think the best plan for me will be to go back and get a Masters.
My friend who had ~3.0 couldn't find a job and went straight to grad school, says its much more hands on and practical learning.
I had another friend in Mechanical Engineering who had an abysmal GPA, something like a 2 or maybe little higher, but he has a great personality. He was even told by IBM he had the best interpersonal skills of any other candidates they'd seen but his GPA was so low they couldn't realistically take a chance with him, so now he's planning on becoming a grunt in the Navy and hoping to work his way up to something like officer.
moral of the story: Do real fuckin good and school and your job prospects are pretty good. And if you want to be sure you get a relevant job thats not bitch work you'll need at least a Masters.

>> No.4087294

>>4086918
Someone who understand real life. Please be my friend.

I had a job 2 months before graduation. I work now in consulting for heavy industry. I specialize in Controls and Instrumentation.

>> No.4087304

>>4087261
To become a P. Eng or even a registered Technologist in Canada, you need to log your work experience over the course of your EIT /ASTT working career.

Also remember, that depending on the privacy agreements of your company/clients, you can't share your work with outside parties. Don't take confidential information to other interviews, basically.

>> No.4087319

Also, look for companies willing to pay for further schooling. My current job offers sponsored tuition for a masters. You're bound with that company for a while afterwards, but it's well worth it.

Also Masters in business or operations with some six sigma certs will push you up into management where the real money is.

>> No.4087346

My best advice would be to get an internship so you can get experience in your field. If you don't land a job with them, then at least you have experience that other recent graduates may not have.

>> No.4087394
File: 629 KB, 871x1200, AmberValletta.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4087294

Sure I'll be your friend. Controls and Instrumentation - was that EE with a focus on microprocessors?

>>4087346

Yes, it seems like getting real-world experience as quickly as possible via an internship is a advice that keep coming up. I'll absolutely make efforts in that direction.

>> No.4087667

I've never had any problem getting a job and my GPA was astonishingly low. My GPA was only so low because I procrastinate and barely pass every math class, and engineering is 75% math; I'm pretty skilled at actually writing code and designing circuits.

Right after graduation I worked for a company that developed software for military unmanned aerial vehicles. I've been obsessed with robots all my life so this was a dream job, but it turned out to be tedious boring shit and a lot of security bullshit because of classified technology. Basically I was writing low level communication protocols; putting them into flying robots didn't make that any different than any bland piece of consumer electronics.

After I quit that job I worked with two visual artists developing custom concert lighting for some big name DJs. It was a blast but the pay was criminally low and there was zero job security. The artists also had a habit of taking credit for my work when all they ever contributed was some vague ideas.

I've just started a job designing control panels for industrial equipment. I can't really say I'm passionate about the work. It's just a moderately important job in a moderately important company. It pays $75,000/year though. My plan is to invest the money in some PCB fabrication and metal working equipment, then start my own business doing something like the last job.

>> No.4087755

>>4087667

Call me foolish if you must, but I would take anything at graduation, just so long as it leads to something else in the field.

Thanks for your input.

>$75,000/year though.

Holy shit. My father has a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and ~40 years experience and only nets around $85,000 max. It's a very comfortable life because I live in a small suburban area of a smaller, Western state where land, water and energy are plentiful. But the fact that a relatively new graduate makes that much is one hell of an accomplishment.

>> No.4088072

BUMP

>> No.4088075
File: 205 KB, 1024x768, 1321902352070.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>going to college only to land a job

>> No.4088080
File: 3 KB, 103x126, ah hahaha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4088075
>Going to college to learn

>> No.4088101

>>4088075
>learning as an end in itself even though you will die and none of it will last

>> No.4088697

BUMP

>> No.4089145

BUMPing to get more advice from the morning crowd.

Why sleep when you can do EE homework anyways?