[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 14 KB, 440x304, mars-atmosphere.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4024939 No.4024939 [Reply] [Original]

So, will Russia ever break the Mars Curse? I was really hoping that the Phobos-Grunt probe would.

>> No.4024945

idk lol

>> No.4024950

I didn't look into that much, did they figure out what specifically went wrong?

>> No.4024960

Probe is in orbit tovarisch.

Glorious ruski engineering shall triumph.

>> No.4024968

>>4024950
The probe's main engine failed to ignite once they got into orbit.

The mission isn't lost yet though, last I heard the RSA was saying they've got a team working trying to get it working again. If they can get the engine going within the next week, they can still make a Mars trajectory, otherwise it'll be aborted.

>> No.4024970

>>4024950
IIRC, last stage went into orbit with both probes (china has one piggybacking on the launch)

But it didn't orient correctly, so it entered standby mode.

Engineers have about two weeks to figure out how to get it facing the right direction before it runs out of power.

>> No.4024978

it's the martians, they don't want us finding out about them so they're using their psychic powers to subtly sabotage exploration missions

>> No.4025046

>>4024970
I thought you only had a few days?

Russian space scientists are growing increasingly gloomy about the prospects of saving the country's $170m (£107m) mission to a moon of Mars.

The Phobos-Grunt probe launched successfully on Wednesday but then failed to fire an engine to put it on the correct course to the Red Planet.

The probe is stuck in Earth orbit and engineers may have only days to fix the fault before the batteries run out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15684192

I sincerely hope it gets there, I suspect it comes down to the underfunding of russia's space program, 100 -200 isn't much at all really.

>> No.4025084

>>4025046
They thought a couple days at first.

Then they checked out how long the batteries would last the way it was going and said it'd be good for about two weeks.

>I suspect it comes down to the underfunding of russia's space program, 100 -200 isn't much at all really.

Not a problem with funding, really. Just a typical issue that can crop up. In this situation the probe did not properly orient, and they're not sure if that's because of a software malfunction, or a hardware malfunction. If it's software, they can hopefully upload new commands to the probe and fix it.

Hardware issue might be more problematic.

>> No.4025121

>>4025084
Doesn't the window close in 3 days mister Sniper?