[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 2.51 MB, 2500x3334, 67YFE4RTGRH737.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4024370 No.4024370 [Reply] [Original]

>1. year you were born

>2. current level of education

>3. your major

>4. why you chose that major

>5. why you believe in science being the guiding factor for humanity

>6. where do you see you life headed in 30-40 years?

>> No.4024528

>1993 - 18yo here

>Undergrad

>Masters of Physics

>From what statistics I've seen a Physics degree can produce high starting salaries and generally makes you an employable fellow. Also Physics rocks..

>Because of the numerous incredible benefits to society it's given.

>30/40 years is a bit too far away to give an accurate prediction. But I'll try. 2016 Graduate. Travel until 2018. Pick a career I'll advance in by 2019. Be financially secure with a partner in the Twenties. Maybe have a kid or two by 2025? As the Thirties come into view I'll be chipping away at my career while doing some family travelling.

Fingers crossed...

>> No.4024558

>1. year you were born

Almost through with a bachelors in mechanical engineering.

>3. your major

See above

I have always been passionate about being an engineer and I have a strong aptitude for it.

Science is based on the understanding of nature. Nature is unbiased and affects every aspect of our lives.

Master's degree in aerospace engineering working for a large defense contractor (ideally).

>> No.4024580

>1. year you were born
Freshman in college.
>3. your major
Aerospace Engineering
I like math and science, and shit that flies is hella cool.
It's fucking science.
Get a job and make enough money to live a comfortable life.

>> No.4024598

>1. year you were born

First year engineering freshman

>3. your major
undecided which engineering major

Which engineering major I get into depends on my first year GPA.

Because it increases our quality of life significantly, Also I hate liberal arts

becoming a professional engineer, fucking some bitches, perhaps a family. Maybe grad school.

>> No.4024624

>1. year you were born
Senior in HS
>3. your major
Want to go to college for Medicine
I want to help people and make a difference in someones life. Also medical careers are respected and pay well so that good too.
Because it gives actual helpful facts and answers instead of, say, religion which uses lies and "faith" to get support.
Hopefully as a surgeon or anthestisolgist.

>> No.4024693

1. 1985

2. Some Junior College

3. Don't have one, unable to monetarily afford college, not ready to take the debt plunge, or have majors dictated by financial outcome. Currently consider many colleges to be extensions of corporate agenda, rather than establishments of radical thought and sharing. Largely doing study alone, currently...

4. See above.

5. I don't. There are many diffferent aspects outside of science which can also be of utility. Science alone seems an unsound approach, but not to be neglected.

6. I dunno, lol...

That being said, if i could monetarily afford college, i would like to attend for Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Liberal Arts, Culinary, Musical, Art, Philosophy, among others...

>> No.4024733

I dropped out of kindergarten.
Not applicable.
Not applicable.
Science is a tool like a wrench, and can't provide what laymen call truth or meaning.
Put out of work by machines probably, but if I'm luck either welfare will provide me a good life or I'll have obtained an IT job that provides me with a decent standard of living. I might also have obtained a sex change, if my financial situation allows it.

>> No.4024760

>>4024693
>That being said, if i could monetarily afford college, i would like to attend for Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Liberal Arts, Culinary, Musical, Art, Philosophy, among others...

The first 4 (qm is included in physics) of which typically result in positive monetary outcomes. Take the debt plunge.

>> No.4024777

>>4024760
Why no credit for math? The median salary for a math related job is ~$85,000. :/

>> No.4024785

>1. year you were born
Freshman in uni
>3. your major
Undeclared, want to do mechE but parents want me to do bio.
I've always loved working with my hands. building things. My parents want me to be a doctor.
Um no. I go to a prestigious school, and a lot of the research guys here tend to research and keep it that way, even though there is a great potential for developing it for the public. But nope, it's just for research, and they are going to deny humanity of improvement. Also, the general public is not going to appreciate "science" really. Look at the backlash at vaccination, and how people love Steve Jobs but can't name the people who created UNIX, or hell even know what UNIX is. Science is turning into an invisible hand that guides our lives, but has to be watered down before making itself public.
>6. where do you see your life headed in 30-40 years?
Either a MechE working in a company, a doctor, or dead.

>> No.4024799

Just started a degree with the open Uni.
Physics
It's the way the universe works, I think everyone should know this.
Because every other way has failed, science has the answers.
Id like to do astronomy, but i'll probably end up getting into teaching.

>> No.4024802

BS in Physics and Mathematics, 3rd year Physics PhD student

er...condensed matter theory I guess

This implies that I care about the future of humanity

I don't know...I don't plan ahead

>> No.4024811

>>4024777
I included math in that by merging physics/qm

>> No.4024812

>>4024802
forgot to include why condensed matter theory: experimental stuff just doesn't feel like I am actually learning anything and condensed matter systems are fascinating since they are all non-equilibrium

>> No.4024817

>>4024811
I see... Well, disregard that post. I am retard and cannot into reading. >_<

>> No.4024826

>>4024693
>>4024760
>>4024811

not trolling, but why are americans "afraid of debt"?

a friend has told me american education loans are repaid based on your income

>> No.4024835

>>4024826
Debt sucks if you have guarantee of being able to pay it back.

>> No.4024859

>>4024826

Because some of us have talked to or heard of many a student who, despite their degree, are waiting tables, or haven't paid off their student loan debt some 40 years later because of various circumstances.

Being in debt is not a fun position, and student loan debt is a risk that relies upon circumstances which seem increasingly volatile...

>> No.4024862

1.1992(19)
2.doing undergraduate chemical engineering.
3.chemical dick penis engineering.
4.I like chemistry and maths
5.shit question
6.being a big dick

>> No.4024868

>1. 1989

>2. Bachelor of Arts

>3. Chemistry, and molecular biology (double major)

>4. Biochemistry and molecular biology explain the fundamental processes of life. Chemistry explains the fundamental properties of matter, and changes such undergoes. Moreover, a degree in chemistry provides a strong foundation for graduate school in the life sciences.

>5. Science explains phenomena of our universe. This can have benefits in numerous aspects of society, from "computer technology" (forgive me, I'm a lay person in computer science) to human health.

>6. First, the next ten years: a PhD in biochemistry, followed by a post-doc. I don't plan on staying in academia, so I can't be sure on where the next 30 - 40 years will lead.

>> No.4024873

>>4024826
Many reasons.

Most people want to be able to breeze through college and have a guaranteed job with no extra effort required upon graduation. 10 years ago you could do that with comp sci, and now to an extent chem engineering. No one wants to put in the effort for internships, undergrad research, getting into grad school, etc, which is pretty much required to be guaranteed a job now. Thus they fear something they may never be able to repay.

Or something ... I'm rambling and probably going off on unrelated tangents.

>> No.4024881

>>4024835
>>4024859
>>4024873

but are these debts income-based, as in you don't pay as much if you are poor, or have i been told incorrect?

>> No.4024884

this thread: proof of /sci/ being nothing but a bunch of ~20 year old elitist shitforbrains

>> No.4024888

>1993
>Freshman in college
>Economics/Political Science with a focus in International Business
>I wanna be a rich asshole
>Scientific method, etc.
>dead

>> No.4024900

that tis true bra

>> No.4024906
File: 60 KB, 350x448, blackpowerhappy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Undergrad
Marine/Power Engineering Technology/Operations(B.S)(4 majors)
Cash Money
Yup
Chief Engineer with a shit ton of cash and a family

>> No.4024918

>>4024881

You might not pay as much PER-MONTH, unless mistaken. As in, you're likely paying the "full tuition", just over a longer period, and potentially with more interest accruing.

There is some financial aid for "low-income families", but they often only seem to aid in a fraction of tuition costs...

Could be mistaken, though...

>> No.4024930

>1. year you were born

4th year undergrad student

>3. your major
biomedical engineering

forced into engineering by parents. figured biomedical was most compatible with my interests, integrates subjects I enjoy

pretty tough to answer this. but science and technology hold the keys to human potential.

shit man, I don't know. I'd like to be a teacher/professor someday, but that isn't my life goal. wish I knew.

>> No.4025035
File: 10 KB, 259x182, pokeface pokerface reaction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel engineer is the new lawyer and now everyone's gonna be engineers and that job field will be saturated thus no jobs am i rite?

>> No.4025103

>>4025035

We'll always need engineers. They create the world we live in.

>> No.4025106

>>4025103

bridges are not the world

>> No.4025130

> 1992
> second year comunity college
> Mechanical engineering
> I want to design in cad/solidworks/something and get payed doing something easy and fun
> because all of our (humanity's) great leaps foward occured because of science and without it ill have to pay attention to mtv to interact with anyone
> I see me with an average job and a hopefully a kid who im not ashamed of, wife would be nice too

>> No.4025169

>1. year you were born

Graduate (Research Master)

>3. your major
Economics

Funny story. I didn't have a clue what to do after high school (since I was interested and good at every subject). Ended up thinking I should just become a business student, so that I could lead an easy, wealthy life. Ended up missing the application deadline, so I signed up for Economics at the same university instead. After the first few courses, I noticed that business courses were awful and that I thoroughly enjoyed Economics. Now I wouldn't want to study anything else (though I am still very fond of physics, astronomy and various other subjects)

It's not. Incentives guide people, and ultimately determine progress made in science. Of course, there's some feedback, though.

Would love to be able to head off into space by then. Other than that, I'll very likely become a professor in Economics. I'm really hoping to see more integration between neuroscience/psychology and Economics over the next few years.

>> No.4025193

undergrad at a uni

chemistry

cause it can be fun and i find it challenging

er so we can do new shit

if i carry on drinking like this...dead. If still alive i have literally no idea i dont plan ahead really

>> No.4025224

>1. year you were born

Completing bachelors (twice over, will explain)

>3. your major
No minor or majors. Studying medicine. In Australia at the end you have 2 bachelors in both medicine and surgery.

To be a doctor.

It's certainly a helpful one.

Boring witch-doctor man.

>> No.4025233
File: 9 KB, 512x270, AGM-114 rocket motor M120.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Born
>Education
Undergrad
>Major
Mechanical Engineering
>Why
Because I played with Legos too much as a kid
>Science
"THE guiding factor?" Nah. Important, but there's more to life than JUST science.
>Where to?
I've got a possible hookup at Raytheon once I get my B.S., and if that falls through I'm hoping to nab an internship with General Electric.

>> No.4025253
File: 406 KB, 704x1000, 1311f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1. year you were born

Candidate of Medicine

>3. your major
See above. Ending at licenciate, might continue until PhD.

It was within my reach.

Let us be realistic, this is a superfluous question.

My life is headed toward the future.

>> No.4025268

>1. year you were born
Undergrad
>3. your major
Mathematics into Mathematical Finance(Pure math, applied math and finance)
It combines finance and pure math which I liked.
What do you mean guiding factor for humanity? Will it advance our understanding of the world and the human race? Yes. But in the end humans themselves are the guiding factor for humanity, we will kill ourselves or advance.
Holy crap, in 40 years I'll be 60. I plan to graduate and go for a masters. Then I will live life hopefully getting a condo with my friends downtown toronto. Then family and all that jazz.

>> No.4025286

three doctorates
engineering, particle physics, psychic research
because I'm smarter than you
without it we can't enter the universal mental gestalt
universal mental gestalt

>> No.4025290

>1. year you were born

Sophomore in college.

>3. your major

General Psychology/Forensic Psychology

It's a family thing. Everyone's educated in/fascinated with psychology. Those who aren't are medicated or committed. Plus it's downright fascinating.

I don't. My field kind of discourages that opinion.

Hopefully getting a good job in a mental facility, maybe doing research.

>> No.4025302

>1. year you were born
Two separate degrees
>3. your major
BA Hon Graphic Design
BA Hon Print and Digital Technology Management.
Chose the first one because I love typography.
Chose the second one because it is guarantee employment.
Because with out it I would be sitting in dark.
Currently working and earning well.
The plan is to buy some second hand printing equipment and run a print business with in house design agency. This time next year I might be self employed..

>> No.4025310
File: 324 KB, 683x1024, 5496492529_f06dd50268_b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1. year you were born
2x Bachelor of Science
>3. your major
Biochemistry; Engineering Mathematics
Because I wasn't brave enough to choose philosophy
This question is trivial.
Psychiatry. But not as an employee.

>> No.4025313

>1. year you were born

Finished my master
>3. your major
Quant. finance
best job in the world.
there are too many possible answers. In short, science = improvement of life
I hope to have enough money to do whatever I please. I don't want yachts or castles, just enough to know that I can survive for as long as I want and afford regular stuff that I enjoy (mainly drugs).

>> No.4025319

>1. year you were born
College
>3. your major
Biomedical Engineering
To help people out by helping make artificial parts. Plus it's really cool-sounding.
I prefer to think of it as a tool that we use for self-guidance. Checking the meter on our assumptions, so to speak.
Steady work with enough income between my spouse and I to comfortably raise a family and see the world (one location at a time).

>> No.4025335

>>4025313
Hows quantitive finance going for ya? I plan on getting that masters.
>>4025268
here

>> No.4025341

>1. year you were born
Sophomore
>3. your major
Mathematics
Always loved math
What's the other alternative
>Dat Fields Medal
>Dat 300k salary

But seriously a professorship somewhere

>> No.4025343

>1. year you were born
undergrad 4th year
>3. your major
Electrical&Computer Engineering, Physics, and Mathematics (possible CS if I don't finish next year/class selection)
I couldn't chose just one
What are you trying to say? If you mean "the guiding factor for humanity's destruction" just look at the atom bomb, bio-weapons, and the recent US unman(not fully but you see where it's heeded) killing drones. "The guiding factor for humanity's culture/improvement" is obvious.
"The principal guiding factor for humanity's group intelligence" would be mathematics if you read up on your history.
"The guiding factor for humanity's ethics/morality/salvation" fuck no, stop using science as an excuse to your parents for skipping out on church and gtfo kiddo.
If I knew that; I wouldn't be wasting time here

>> No.4025345
File: 125 KB, 910x1017, fuckyeah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4025335
Unfortunately for me, I understood way too late that quant is the way to go, so I have a FUCKING USELESS Bachelor of Economics instead of being an erudite in Computer Science or Maths. So now I try to find a starting job (I only have 6 months experience as an intern in a quant fund) and I don't think it's gonna cut it..
I'm pessimistic as it is the hardest and most sought after job and I don't have the perfect track record required, even thuogh my Master is ranked 13th worldwide.
Pic related :)

>> No.4025363
File: 37 KB, 700x457, reading-bunny_no-logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1. year you were born

professional schooooool

>3. your major

AS/BS Biology/currently working on DVM

life passion, etc etc

guiding factor is so obscure but science, to me, is the best way to answer questions and explore the world

30-40 years? jeezus. Board-certified surgeon by then. Still paying off loans, I'm sure.

>> No.4025373

>>4025345
Aw shit, nice job. All the way in Switzerland as well. I know I'm going to need to find work before and it's going to be hard. I'd be glad to just get those 6 months as well. Right now I'm still lazing about and gonna need to get my shit together.

>> No.4025415

>>4024785
>1994
>freshman

Wat.

>> No.4025579

> 1989

> 3 years of an undergraduate degree. I'm on a "Permanent leave of absence", or I dropped out if you want to be a dick about it.

> Shit, never settled down on anything. Mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, philosophy, engineering, etc.

> Didn't choose per se. Kept going around. Most of my classes are in philosophy and mathematics however.

> See the world around us? Plastics, Nylon, antibiotics? Science bro, science.

> I want to be a machinist, I have the technical aptitude for the job. Learning to CNC program and machine will keep me gainefully employed for the remainder of my life. So yeah, once I break into the industry, machinist. Mebbe open up my own company or just make good ass money for the rest of my life making stuff.

>> No.4025594

1. 1992
2. Second year in college
3. EE
4. Figured I'd do engineering, and EE has the most math which I enjoy -- I will probably minor in math.
5. Because it represents a culmination of human knowledge and achievement
6. Job, living comfortably. Maybe married if I find someone I enjoy being around. I don't really know, it's hard to imagine that far out.

>> No.4025632

>>4025415
skipped a grade

>> No.4025630

Loving the answers to this one ITT. So much 'don't-actually-know-what-science-is' in this thread.

>> No.4026991

­

>> No.4026995

>>4024370
1). 1990
2). College
3). N/A
4). Just going to college for fun
5). It has proven and disproven many things that has resulted into the benefits, and disadvantage of humanity, yet it's faith is guided by us than it guiding us.
6). Better than you in some way.

>> No.4027003

>1986

>BS Biochemistry

>Working on 2nd undergrad degree, BS Nuclear Engineering

>It's more worthwhile than biochemistry and I'm a lock for the MS/MBA program

>Because it's obvious

>Upper management with some company doing reactor work overseas.

>> No.4027018

>1. year you were born
2 half semesters of college. Dropped out of both
>3. your major
None. Biology if I ever care to try
One of my favorite subjects. Don't know what specifically I would do with it though.
Well, I guess because it's the main requirement for actually expanding past Earth, if we ever manage to convince people fund and support research on what we still don't know about it. Without it, we have no medicine or technology, aka dieing before we can get the chance to do anything, and not being able to do it even if we have time.
A (Effort)- Becoming some sort of scientist that doesn't rely too heavily on being able to see colors, since I'm extremely color blind. Plus a bunch of other health factors sitting in my way, as well as general laziness.

B (Lazy)- Some shitty job I don't like, slowly drinking myself to death.

>> No.4027024
File: 122 KB, 800x600, 3dfx_Voodoo2_1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1. 1985

>2. Bachelor's

>3. Technology Management (focus on automation and finance)

>4. Top-notch transfer agreement (graduated HS with an automation technology associates, only needed to complete the last 2)

>5. Science is not the guiding factor for humanity. Science is a process. This process is guided by the current wants of those with enough capital to provide vision and direction to those with the ability to do so.

>6. Life in 30-40 years will consist of constant hardware and software upgrades on all devices used during daily life. These devices will be required to conduct daily life due to communications and safety laws. Strict copyright and loosely applied patent laws are currently leading to a dead end of intellectual servitude.

There is hope for a brighter future, but without a visible trigger I can't adjust my outlook just yet.

>> No.4027035

>1993
>Undergrad; 1st year.
> Criminology
>Hope to become a lawyer.
>Science has brought the most advancement to humanity.
>Hopefully ballin.

>> No.4027041 [DELETED] 

>>5. why you believe in science being the guiding factor for humanity

I fucking don't. Scientists have the weirdest and most illogical fucking fears and believes.

Humanity needs to keep those degenerate freaks in their fucking labs.

(I'm saying this as an insider)

>> No.4027044
File: 13 KB, 100x100, lol+same+pic+xD+_69ff0683fb6e5fdacc4bb6b02c459fdc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1993
>College Freshman
>Computer Science / Math
>I like computers and math, and I'm interested in being a software engineer.
>Because God sure as hell isn't.
>Probably dead, otherwise living with my partner and possibly adopted children.

>> No.4027045

>1. year you were born
2nd year of college
>3. your major
Still undecided (I want to do engineering but my math skills are too poor)
money
science is intertwined with progress
I am honestly not sure. My life so far has been full of failures. I'll be happier to have a family than an awesome career.

>> No.4027052

1. 1996 (Inb4 underage)
2. High school
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. I don't have a very sophisticated answer for that to be honest. I personally find that science is definitely a guide to get humanity on track for a path of success. But at the same time, there are a lot of distracting, and unethical things that science brings us. (More so us finding through experimenting.)
6. In 30-40 years? Hm, my plan is not as formed as most of you here, but I know that I have a good idea about not having a kid, and instead adopting one. I also plan on traveling quite a bit.

>> No.4027066

>>4027052
Hey, don't shoot down the idea of having a kid this early. It can be argued that the purpose of life is to procreate.

>> No.4027068

>>4024370

>1. year you were born
'93.

~50hr worth of college; freshman.

>3. your major
Dual CS/Math.

Good at both, needed two to milk the financial aid cash cow for all it's worth.

What? Son -- That's RETARDED. Anyway, because it JEST WERKS.

Don't know.
Don't care.

>> No.4027070

>>4027066

>It can be argued that the purpose of life is to procreate

What the hell else would it be?

>> No.4027079

>>4027024

>mfw IDE connector on Vidya card

>> No.4027109

1. 1987
2. I have a Bachelors of Mathematics Degree
3. Mathematical Sciences (A mix of pure math, applied math, and combinatorics and optimization)
4. Because I didn't want to do grad school and it seemed like a good way to get a solid understanding of various mathematics. If I did it again I may do straight pure math though. C&O wasn't my bag, and with few exceptions I feel like I could have learned almost all of my applied math in pure math courses.
5. I don't understand this question.
6. I plan on being married, having kids, and having a stable professional job, maybe in actuarial science.

>> No.4027127

>1. year you were born

finishing BS next semester

>3. your major
accounting

its easy as fuck

because it has been for like the last 150 years

retired or some shit

>> No.4027136

lots of pure math people on here. Kinda surprised.

I did chemistry, and although I love it, it is hard not to regret it when you realize at any decent uni pretty much requires you to put in 60 hours a week as a grad student to be competitive and get any real work done.

In summary: experimental science is time consuming and frustrating. You theoretical guys have it easy.