[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 82 KB, 452x507, computer hw.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4021142 No.4021142 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/,
I'm in my first year of college at the moment, studying physics, chemistry and double maths A-levels. I am thinking about what university courses I might be interested in so I can have an idea of what I need to achieve in the next 2 year.
I have been fascinated by maths since a very young age, I have also been interested in science from a similarly young age. It was in my GCSE's that I discovered that Physics was my more preferable subject in science and I have recently indulged myself in the complexities of electronics.
So I am currently considering Electrical Engineer and Computer Engineering but if could you enlighten me to anything else that may be related to my interests it would be much appreciated. Pic related, I guess :-)

>> No.4021166

>loves science
>choosing engineering

makes sense OP

>> No.4021173 [DELETED] 

>>4021166
I love science in it's practical applications.
I guess I was influenced by my crazy inventive grandfather who was an electrical engineer.

>> No.4021188

>>4021166
I love science in it's practical applications and think I would hate being coped up in a lab doing a routine job, so I want something that's not routine.

>> No.4021240

>>4021188
> implying engineering is not a routine job with only a SET of equation you use for the rest of your life instead of finding new stuff in life

>> No.4021257

>>4021188
engineering is so much more routine than good science research

>> No.4021269

>>4021188
typical engineering job is tediously checking specifications forever

>> No.4021278

>>4021257
>>4021240
What else is there then?
I'd rather get a qualification like engineering where O know I can fulfil a career than something generic like a physics degree, although I could do both :-D

>> No.4021299

>>4021269
>>4021257
Nope.

>> No.4021302

Considerd the study of Theoretical computer science?

I m not gonna lie to you im not good in that subject, but its definatly a fascinating field.

>> No.4021322

I'm studying Mechanical Engineering. Choose this to learn the practical uses of Newton's work, Euler, Lagrange... Vectors will become your bread and butter. Learn the uses of differential and integral equations, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics etc.

>> No.4021335

You might enjoy geophysics... Take your math, physics, electronics and computer skills and apply them to finding oil in one of the largest industries on the planet using all sorts of crazy awesome technology plus >6 figures is pretty much guaranteed. Might want to check out the SEG (Society of Exploration Geophysics) if this sounds like something you might want to do. Oh, and tons of travel opportunity in the field too.

>> No.4021348

>>4021188
>not routine
>engineering

I don't think you understand what engineering is. There is nothing more routine then engineering.