[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 216 KB, 700x641, 1275839900113.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4003814 No.4003814 [Reply] [Original]

Registering for classes soon and I 'm forced to choose one of following courses to take since they're both at the same time.

Intro to Differential Geometry: develops much of the language and many of the basic concepts of differential geometry in the simpler context of curves and surfaces in ordinary 3 dimensional Euclidean space. Builds both a solid mathematical understanding of the fundamental notions of differential geometry and sufficient visual and geometric intuition of the subject. After completing this course, the students will be in a position to (i) apply their knowledge and skills in this course to their related subjects, (ii) be ready to study more advanced topics such as global properties of curves and surfaces, geometry of abstract manifolds, tensor analysis, and general relativity.

Formal Languages and Automata: Provides a rigorous mathematical framework for two general areas: that of language description and that of computation; to examine the relation between the two and to consider practical applications from Computer Science and Linguistics. Computability theory and complexity theory are also introduced.
Topics:
Regular languages and automata
Context-free languages and Pushdown Automata
Turing Machines and Decidability
Hierarchies and properties of language families
Computational Complexity Theory

Has anyone taken any similar courses and would recommend it over the other?

>> No.4003818

>Computer Science
>Linguistics
>implying they are Science & Math

lol no.

>> No.4003821 [DELETED] 

i'd choose differential geometry. for you, it's best to just flip a coin, or see which instructor is better (ratemyprofs)

if you choose one, you might not learn about the other one during your academic studies, but I highly recommend, outside of class, to learn the other one because they're both essential and very interesting subjects. So even if you don't take the other one, you're probably going to want to learn about it since it's so interesting.

>> No.4003822
File: 134 KB, 500x500, 1277996866122.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Take Diff Geometry. With it you may be able to build a wormhole and travel backwards in time to save my cat who died tragically in a freak box accident...

>> No.4003829

i'd choose differential geometry because, for the geometrical side, i've only taken topology and am taking it next semester. for you, it's best to just flip a coin, or see which instructor is better (ratemyprofs)

if you choose one, you might not learn about the other one during your academic studies, but I highly recommend, outside of class, to learn the other one because they're both essential (in modern day knowledge) and very interesting subjects.

if you took abstract algebra and want to see a great application of it, choose the second one

>> No.4003903

>>4003814
Why the fuck aren't Monoids somewhere at the bottom of this structure? I mean, OP's talking about Languages and Automata, and no monoid? :/

>> No.4003912

>>4003903
They're there but label as semi-groups.

>> No.4003927

>>4003912
Ah fuck, I didn't notice them. My bad!

>> No.4004507

bump