[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 28 KB, 600x350, edl-06china-t-1-articleLarge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3994193 No.3994193 [Reply] [Original]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/education/edlife/the-china-conundrum.html

>Colleges, eager to bolster their diversity and expand their international appeal, have rushed to recruit in China, where fierce competition for seats at Chinese universities and an aggressive admissions-agent industry feed a frenzy to land spots on American campuses. College officials and consultants say they are seeing widespread fabrication on applications, whether that means a personal essay written by an agent or an English proficiency score that doesn’t jibe with a student’s speaking ability. American colleges, new to the Chinese market, struggle to distinguish between good applicants and those who are too good to be true.

>Once in the classroom, students with limited English labor to keep up with discussions. And though they’re excelling, struggling and failing at the same rate as their American counterparts, some professors say they have had to alter how they teach.

So what are everyone's experiences here with university students from China?

>> No.3994205

INSTEAD OF BEING UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE PROFESSOR, NOW WE ARE UNABLE TO TEACH THE STUDENT

>> No.3994202

Fuckers stealing all the whitey's science jobs

>> No.3994208

They're like ants, helping each other in their own language and not mingling with whitey. Average IQ of 106 which means they be pushing whitey out of the science fields.

>> No.3994228

From what I see on campus, asian students always stay with their own and speak their own language. They don't integrate very well so it create a barrier. They also lack creativity since they learn by rote memorization and cheating is rampant among them from what I hear.

So on paper, they're the perfect students but how many asian people do you see in senior management or high ranking positions? Much less than you would expect by looking at how well they perform in academia.

>> No.3994232

This is my experience, and my econ bro "Pareto Inefficient" confirmed these stereotypes in his experiences living in New Zealand (I live in Phoenix Arizona).

Unlike other foreigners, chinese students do not integrate, or take any effort to integrate. Foreigners often go through great lengths to speak the native language, and try and socialize as best they can with locals. Chinese students stick together and never bother integrating at all. And when it comes to classes they dont integrate to the extent that they fail classes because they dont understand their instructors and they dont try and make friends in the class.

>> No.3994237

So they're aiming for quantity and not quality now?

>> No.3994244 [DELETED] 

Yep, I agree that they tend to stick together and not associate with the rest of us, but I see that with the Muslim students as well. I assume that it's due to shyness and insecurity. I was also surprised to hear that my Chinese classmate came to the US to study because Chinese universities are so difficult to get into. Maybe they just don't have many universities over there and need time to build more + educate qualified faculty? They seem to have a mix of majors although there were a larger percentage in my diff eq class than compared with other classes.

>> No.3994249

>>3994237
lol they've always aimed for quantity foolish sir

>> No.3994253
File: 447 KB, 1444x962, 1237609663844.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hate 'em. Fuck the Chinese.

American-born Asians is pretty cool though. They're still intelligent, but without all the gook-speak and segregated cliques.

>> No.3994263

>>3994228

Holy crap same thing.

I think the cheating is true too. I think a lot of them come for very superficial reasons. As in, they want a degree because a degree will make them richer. I think that could partially account for cheating among chinese immigrants.

I knew a guy here in Arizona who trained commercial airline pilots. Basically the chinese government were shipping pilots over to the US so they could get trained and become the first generation of commercial airline pilots in china. He said he was really terrified, because the government was only requiring a fraction of the airline regulations we see in the US, like 15 thousands of hours in flight before you are a commercial pilot. He also complained about the general ineptness among this chinese students.

He specifically complained about an exercise where they have to communicate with the "control tower" while playing catch. This is to make sure they have an adequate amount of multi tasking so that they dont crash a plane when talking to the control tower.

He then sent me this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGLt8YsOUVs

>> No.3994264

>>3994205

Wrong, now the teacher and student have to both use english as a second language as the only way to comminuicate with each other. At least we can kinda guess at what the Indian profs are saying.

>> No.3994281

I have a group of Asians in a general ed communications class that sit on their phones and talk to each other at the most inappropriate of times. They're the most disrespectful students I've ever encountered, and it doesn't even seem like they're consciously doing it. It's like it's apart of their culture.

Another group of more assimilated Asians have a head alpha male with a bunch of spiked hair betas. They're extremely rude to whites and don't seem to speak with any other races.

Indians and Africans seem to be the only ones that actually give a fuck and have potential to assimilate.

>> No.3994288

>>3994281
This.

Whenever i start to get annoyed with a Chem Lab T.A. because i can't really understand his indian accent, he always wins my respect back when i see him be late for his own classes to stay and help kids who couldnt finish the lab in time.

>> No.3994304

I just don't get how they can sleep on any surface imaginable.

But regardless, I just want to ransack bags and pockets whenever I see a sleeping student somewhere on campus.

>> No.3994305

>>3994228
Are you me?

My college is really small, but like 10% of the students are international students from China for some reason.

It seems like these international students are just average students. Some are pretty smart, some are worthless, and most are just average. Seems like a lot of them are from the booming upper/middle class. International studying is like a casual vacation.

Aside from that, they refuse to speak English unless they have to, and they always hang out with their own kind, which makes it very hard to socialize with them. If you have one or two international students at a time, it's fine because they're forced to mingle with others. If you get like 100 international students from the same country, they just hang out with themselves.

>> No.3994346

Only issue I had with them was how insular they were. Always stuck to themselves.

But in my case their english skills were fine and if they didn't maintain at least a C they would lose their visa, so they worked hard enough.

The thing is, they had to pay 3x as much per semester as I did. So it's no wonder that the University wants them there.

>> No.3994359

>whitey here
You guys don't give Chinese/Asian students enough credit. I've only met a couple of students as bad as you've described, but the ratio of other races cheating is around the same.

But what I have noticed is that Asian students are typically not self-motivated. Most pressure comes from their parents. Now, I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but, in my eyes, anyone who lacks self motivation ranks lesser than a gung ho learner who shows legitimate interest in a subject. Regardless to say, most students I know only experience pressure from their parents to succeed.

>> No.3994374

>>3994202

There aren't enough Americans skilled enough to DO those jobs..

>> No.3994390

I have yet to have a great deal of interaction with the Asian kids in my classes, but from what I can tell so far they seem to do just as well as the rest of the kids. They sometimes ask me simple sounding questions regarding curriculum junk, but that's probably just because they couldn't understand the english, I mean I guess. I don't really know. HOWEVER: so far all of my math classes have been with the same vietnamese guy so maybe they have a pretty easy job understanding him compared to white professors

>> No.3994399

>>3994305

>International studying is like a casual vacation.

Absolutely.

If I have to see another upper class Asian wearing gucci that refuses to speak to whites I'm going to cut off his fucking balls.

>> No.3995390

btw, the
>rich Asian kid who won't talk to anyone who isn't Asian, cheats in class, etc etc
is probably Korean, not Chinese.
The Chinese people on campus I've met are admittedly sometimes rather insular, but most of them are friendly and willing to socialize with any ethnicity.
Koreans on the other hand practically don't socialize with anyone who isn't Korean or at least Asian. They might be polite to you when they have to or want something from you, but otherwise they'll ignore you exist.

>> No.3995405

>>3995390
>Koreans
Nigger here at a top 5 engineering school. Koreans are all of my hate, and I am pretty sure the rest of the asian community hates them aswell. Rude obnoxious cheaters.

>> No.3995427

>>3995390

Is this an echo from that anti chinese thread we just had?

This is totally against my understanding. The korean people I have met have not lived up with the asian-who-doesnt-talk-to-anyone-not-asian stereotype. Meanwhile I have met whole flocks of chinese via my chinese-american friends who never ever speak english or associate with non-chinese.

>> No.3995443
File: 211 KB, 480x720, 0503-kat-dennings-cleavage-thor-15-480x720.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3994193
~50% of all students at american universities are chinese

Yeah, America has fallen. Blame the republican party.

\thread

>> No.3995448

>>3995427

>realizes this is the same thread and I just left the window open and forgot about it.

>> No.3995451

>>3995443
[citation needed]

>> No.3995456

>>3994193
I went to the University of British Columbia; it's half Chinese, but mostly the banana children of immigrants.

A fair number of them have little emperror syndrome. The way Chinese parents spoil there children is different from how white people do it; but you still end up with a narcissistic prick who thinks the world revolves around them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Emperor_Syndrome

>> No.3995468

I feel bad for all of you who don't live in cali. we have enough asians here that people everyone is pretty normalized.

hint: if fobs don't socialize, it's because they've grown up in an insular environment with 99.99% of people they've ever seen as the same race as them, and they really have no idea about average american culture.

>> No.3995492

A lot of asian countries have a hive mind societies. Everyone is part of the collective society. Unlike here where everyone is their own special unique snowflake. So it is hard for them to go from a collective society of people with similar values to a place where everyone are themselves. As such they like to stay together and simulate that collective society.

Still they are annoying for taking spots that could be given to American students.

>> No.3995494

>>3995468

Maybe others will agree, but nothing Ive said about asians in this thread applies to asians who grew up here, or who's parents immigrated.

>> No.3995510

>>3995494
I think, and this is conjecture, that it's easier for visiting Asian students to acclimate to western culture when there's a lot of people who look like them acting in a certain way. It helps them identify.

Another factor is probably the tight-knit Chinese/Korean/etc Student Union(s) that give them a lot of support, especially when they've just arrived, that produce the clique-ish behavior.

>> No.3995515

California has a huge problem with this. They've spent so long working for a "diverse" student body that they didn't realize that the Chinese population was leaving as soon as they graduated.

Result is that a bunch of white people didn't get an education, the smart people left, and now California is full of dumbass white guys with shit-tier jobs.

So, no change really.

>> No.3995518

Australian here.
We get thousands of Asian overseas students, and they're all fucking terrible, rude and annoying. What's worse is most of them don't speak English, so the lecturers dumb the course down for them. Absolutely pathetic. I wish you luck, OP, you're going to need it.

>> No.3995520

>>3994232

I'll third that notion; Chinese students are fucking horrible in Continental Europe as well. They appear to be incapable of learning English and just stick to their own language. Often separate themselves from the rest of the students, because they can't (and don't seem to want to) communicate with others.

After visiting China a few times, I have come to the conclusion that it's a fucking horrible country in general. It's going to take numerous generations for that hell-hole to develop.

>> No.3995525

>>3995520

I have a distant relative who works as an operational manager at Volkswagen. He had to live in China for a while (and the US, and Iraq but hes from Germany). He didnt speak very positively about his experience in China.

Basically said its a whole culture of rudeness, and part of learning how to communicate isnt just learning the language but learning how to be that rude to people on a regular basis.

>> No.3995530

>>3995525
Sounds like 4chan to me.

>> No.3995538

Ausfag here. About 40% of the students in any major university are Chinese.

>> No.3995539

>>3995518
Agreed. They can all fuck off back to china as far as I am concerned.