[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 141 KB, 788x626, 1310366107452.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3987444 No.3987444 [Reply] [Original]

How exactly can u get a cold by just, you know sleeping with the window open?
How does temperature helps bacteria to infect you?

>> No.3987453

>>3987444
it creates moisture and therefore allows bacteria to grow

>> No.3987456

dumb girls are my fetish.

>> No.3987486

>>3987453
Allright, so when our head is exposed to cold temerature, it produces mroe moisture to protect it or what?

>> No.3987491

ive always been told cold temperatures weaken the immune system

that and moisture along with shit flying in through your window

maybe some med/biology fag can chime in and be useful for once

>> No.3987500

>>3987486
your head doesn't produce moisture to protect you it does so because physics

>> No.3987508

>>3987500
Can you explain this a little better?

>> No.3987510

flies are attracted to human nasal aroma and fly in to spread pestilence and decay in their quest for snot

>> No.3987511
File: 30 KB, 320x240, surprise.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3987456
Holy fucking shit.

>> No.3987525

>>3987508
your blood goes to your heart to keep warm from dying so no moisture and the bacteria more readily burrow through cold tissue

>> No.3987534

How come pigs and birds and cows give humans flu/smallpox viruses but dogs don't give us parvo or canine flu?

>> No.3987545

>>3987525
holy shit anon, that actually makes sense.

Filling it in: i remember from AP bio that we have aveoli(?) in our lungs. Very tiny grape like structures that absorb air. You lose a lot of heat through the lungs, so if you've got plenty of 02, the body probably just limits blood flow to some of these things. This statistically raises the probability that a bacteria can get a foothold on a lung cell.

>> No.3987560

>>3987545
i was actually just attempting to troll

>> No.3987578
File: 29 KB, 690x530, 1316361110797.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3987560
oh dear.
/sci/ can't do anything right.

>> No.3987583

The low temperatures and colds thing is an old myth created to explain why people get it more often in the winter (it's because people stay indoors with other people then).

>> No.3987586

>>3987560
Masterful at that.

To answer OP's question, NO. Exposure to cold can cause hypothermia, frostbite, etc. However, being out on a cold, rainy night for 2 minutes without a coat will not cause you any harm.

Similarly, sleeping with a window open but under covers to keep your core body temperature up will do no harm. You body temperature drops naturally when you sleep anyway. If anything, the fresh air MIGHT just do you some good, given that it's better than air pumped through old/moldy filters.

>> No.3987600

>>3987586
>cold
>rainy

choose one

>> No.3987611

>You lose a lot of heat through the lungs, so if you've got plenty of 02, the body probably just limits blood flow to some of these things.

NO.
Bloodflow through the lungs are not subject to regulatory decrease in order to save heat. This is because all blood that the heart pumps WILL pass through the lungs, a decrease of this bloodflow would reduce the total circulatory flow.
Any decrease of bloodflow through lungs manifests as heart failure.

>> No.3987623

>>3987586
This fag again,
>>3987583
He's also right. Being stuck indoors with people and breathing their exhaled/coughed/sneezed out pathogens is what does it. There's also closer contact with fomites like door knobs, cooking surfaces, etc.

Here's a thought experiment. Have you ever seen someone smoking naturally exhale the smoke? No blowing rings or blowing it in a given direction, just exhaling normally.
The smoke is visible. That is how much the lung expels EVERY time someone exhales. You'll notice it goes quite a distance and winds up wafting down onto a lot of things.

Exposure to pathogens makes you sick. I know it's a crazy thought, but try to assimilate it.

>My mom actually told me the truth as a kid about the connection between cold and sickness. She encouraged me to keep fresh air circulating and just keep my body warm with blankets of heavier clothing.
>Installed ambient heating in the floor to prevent circulation of air through heating ducts.
>Still keep fresh air flowing through my apartment to this day, refuse to live anywhere without ambient floor heating.

>> No.3987625

>>3987586
depends on the density of the air and how cold it is.

i.e., (A) 70 degrees at 15,000 ft versus (B) 40 degrees at 15,000 ft. A minority of people are able to camp at (A) for days but immediately develop pulmonary problems when (B) arrives.

It's weird because they should be acclimated by that point and then they suddenly get high altitude pulmonary edema.

>> No.3987634
File: 54 KB, 650x433, frenchangelfish.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3987625
That's not pathogenic though.

No experience with altitude-related sickness. I'm a diver though so I'm well acquainted with the opposite end of pressure-related maladies.

>> No.3987652

>>3987611
Capillary action in the smaller structures of the lungs is largely controlled by the environment. If capillaries are chilled, blood doesn't flow as fast.

>> No.3987664
File: 479 KB, 1135x1035, fairybasslet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3987652
Minimally so. Until core temperature drops to ~95-94 degrees F, you're not in serious trouble.

You'd experience discomfort long before any serious ill effects could come into play. So long as you're reasonably comfortable in the environment (read: not freezing your ass off for longer than 30 minutes or so) you'll be fine.

Note that this is NOT the case underwater. You cannot retain heat underwater, even with a wetsuit. You will only lose heat, albiet slowly with a wetsuit. If you start to feel uncomfortably cold underwater, it won't get any better until you move to an area with higher temperatures.

That has no relation to this thread, really, but yeah. A little bit of dive safety for everyone.

>> No.3987675

>>3987652
>Capillary action in the smaller structures of the lungs is largely controlled by the environment.
Was that supposed to mean anything or are you just painting pretty sentences thinking your cluelessness won't show?

>> No.3987703
File: 78 KB, 450x334, bender1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

= >Cold.
=> less blood at superficial tissue like skin and
bronchus to avoid dangerous heat lost.
=> Immune system less efficient.
=> proliferation of bacteria and moistures that are always present on skin/bronchus.

=> fucking ill and on /sci/

>> No.3987714

>>3987634
>1928: Griffith demonstrates DNA transformation in bacteria.
>2011: still treating infections as having single causes rather than using statistical causation or bacterial/viral loads

>> No.3987723

>>3987675
control by the environment: not controlled by hormones or nerve firings.

Basically, this post:
>>3987703

>> No.3987735

>>3987664
Is this why they sometimes have hot water pumps for people doing dives on shipwrecks and stuff?

That must feel so fucking good.

>> No.3987743

>>3987703
>superficial
>bronchus
Pick one.

Although it's a rather early part of the respiratory tree it's definitely not superficial.

>proliferation of moistures
What?

>> No.3987744

>>3987534
>>3987534
infact influenza transmission between birds and humans is extremely rare and the only reason why H5N1 isnt a global pandemic killing millions.

the influenza virus consists of 8 pieces of dna unlike most viruses.

these 8 pieces can combine freely between similar enough species so that pigs can get influenza from humans and swine flu at the same time in the same cell the 8 pieces of dna can randomly be repackaged, causing a chimera virus. because this has been happening for a long time swine flu chimera viruses are relatively unharmful to humans.

however they can also get infected by bird influenza somethign that can not happen in humans (rarely) because the viruses are extremely different and do not recognize each others dna and therefore do not repackage it in a chimera virus

the reason swine flu was so dangerous is because it contained some bird flu genes and was therefore potentially very lethal.

by the way h stands for haemaglutinin and the N for neuroaminidase 2 enzymes that are important for overcoming the immune system in your lungs

>> No.3987749

This is either an elaborate samefag troll or a sad day on /sci/.

People are ignoring germ theory and putting forth hypotheses based on limited knowledge of human anatomy and immunology... all to support an old wives' tale that is easily explained by close contact with infected people and fomites during winter.

>>3987735
They either wear dry suits or hot water suits. Wetsuits are totally inadequate for very deep dives.
I went down to about 120 feet once in the warm waters of the Caribbean. It wasn't uncomfortable in my 5mm suit, but I knew that I couldn't stay there for all that long. Also, peeing in your wetsuit honestly feels pretty great if you've been down there for a while.
In the short time that you're fully zipped up, in the sun, and waiting to jump off of a boat, you get pretty hot in a wetsuit. Jumping in the water equalizes things and it feels pretty good.

>> No.3987757

>>3987723
>control by the environment
The enviromental effects the capillaries of the alveoli normally notices are gaseous pollutants and air pressure.

Assuming temperatures within temperate bounds(not hurr durr -150°c) and a nonsmoker. Particulate matter like bacteria and viruses never reaches the lowest parts of the respiratory tract and the lungs maintain the air that is exchanged at a temperature at or very close to body temperature through mixing with residual air volume and warming the new air through contact with tissues on the way.

>> No.3987766

>>3987749
>immunology...
Speaking of that, the lack of Vitamin D(which is an immunostimulant) haven't been mentioned as a possible aggrevating factor.

>> No.3987780

>>3987757
does the blood inside of the alveoli have bacteria or viruses in it?

>> No.3987784

>>3987766
Fair enough, but again, much of this was easily explained earlier.

Vitamin D is a huge thing for me, in particular. I don't deal well with winter and a lack of sunshine. So... I installed UVB heat lamps in my bathroom, 2 of em'. When I go to shit or shower, I turn them on. It's fantastic because I no longer experience season affective disorder symptoms.

I'm such a fucking pansy. I need my UV bulbs and ambient floor heating just to survive. I wouldn't have lasted 2 seconds on the savanna. My ancestors weren't likely any great hunters, more likely charlatan shamans that tricked tribeswomen into banging them with gathered hallucinogens.

>> No.3987809

>>3987780
>does the blood inside of the alveoli have bacteria or viruses in it?
There shouldn't be blood in the alveoli, the gas exchange passes is through the (very-thin membraneous) tissue.

Bacteria or viruses should also never be present in circulating blood, bacteria in blood is an emergency condition. Viruses are less of an acute problem but still indicator of shit being wrong.

>> No.3987826

>>3987784
Winter is a disaster for me too, This time around I've decided to eat vitamin D supplements like it's candy. So far I've been aiming at ~100ug/day but thinking of upping it given that about ten times as much is supposedly still within tolerated bounds.

>> No.3987861
File: 1.13 MB, 3264x1952, IMAG0156.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3987826
I just hang out in my very warm, very humid, soaked with UVB bathroom. He loves hanging out in there and I'm thinking of getting a wall planter to put some hanging orchids, nepenthes, and bromeliads in it to complete the jungle effect.

Pic related, it's "him"

I've found that winter isn't so bad if you have a small spot of reasonable temperature and "sunlight" to which you can retreat. I kinda like being warm under my covers while the chilled air works its way through the window into my bedroom. It's good for keeping the air fresh and the place generally livable.

>> No.3987870

>>3987749
I like that you're keeping the discussion grounded in fact....but
...You haven't shown evidence that actually refutes the folk claim, which is roughly this:
>if one man is sleeping in the cold side of a lab (50f), and another man is sleeping in the warm side of the same lab (~70f), the man sleeping in the cold side is on average more likely to be made ill by an infection.

That's actually a study that could be done in lab rats. So if such a study exists, producing it would go a long way in convincing me that cold does not contribute to succumbing to an infectious disease.

I don't think anyone is positing that germs spontaneously generate, or that germ theory is wrong. The claim is essentially the same as the claim that clean houses contribute to the creation of allergies in kids. Is it THE cause of some types of allergies? We don't know. Is it A cause of allergies, sometimes? Again, we don't know.

tldr: your speculations, although appreciated and well-founded on fact, arn't facts.

>> No.3987901

>>3987870
True, but I have Occam's Razor on my side. It's far better than trying to apply science to folk wisdom.

Granted, you have a point.

Unless there is discomfort produced by the cold and it isn't mitigated by something like warm clothing or blankets, I don't really see a problem.

>> No.3987961

>>3987901
There have been plenty of studies showing that crowding sterile lab animals into small spaces causes them to drop dead from a variety of things (heart attacks, cancer, siezures).

Too me, it's plausible that cold is stressful for some people and that it makes their immune systems less effective. In this sense, cold is a contributing factor, but not a primary cause, in some illnesses. Maybe.
Presumably, cold cou

>> No.3987968

>>3987961
...Presumably, cold could just be bad for very specific people.

>> No.3987982

>>3987968
Reasonable hypothesis. Far more in line with /sci/ than previous posts.

I'm seriously considering devoting my lab resources towards a /sci/ experimental project. I only do about 10 or so tests a week with my business' equipment. It'd be fun to use it on some "crowdsourced" science.

I'm also going to be, sometime in the next year or so, spamming the living hell out of /sci/ with job ads in the Tennessee area. If I get enough volume to necessitate employees, I'm totally hiring from /sci/.

>> No.3987995

It doesn't unless the air outside your window is polluted/infected/allergenic/really fucking cold. If polluted it'll weaken the immune system of your lungs by screwing with the mucus. If infected it'll just introduced a higher rate of pathogens. If allergenic it'll make you sneeze, which will make you have lots of extra mucus in there which acts as a food for pathogens and so increases secondary infections. If it's really fucking cold it'll accomplish the same by changing the rate at which your mucus evaporates.

All contact between lungs and outside world is mediated by mucus, so if the outside world is fucking you up via lungs, it's fucking up your mucus.