[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 684 KB, 1696x1088, bbb.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3982636 No.3982636 [Reply] [Original]

People in academia, if you had the chance to make a groundbreaking discovery, how would you like the aftermath to play out?

a) Obtain top honors/prizes, renowned and respected within community, not known elsewhere. Your social life will be 99% confined to university due to how much research you put in. No one from your past that looked down on you will respect you just for this. However, you will live a quiet life away from controversy and drama and the public's idiotic judgements; also, there will be no new age faggots misinterpreting your work. 100% science, 0% fame/glory (which, according to you, is not what science should be about).

b) You become the new Einstein or Steven Hawking. Media is all around you, respect from everywhere saying, "Wow, this guy is so smart!" Exaggerated tall tales about your intelligence or supreme ability. You will make people worship you just by walking into a grocery store. However, you will be at the mercy of journalists and retarded Yahoo commentators (and all the internet voices around the world). Whenever there is controversy, journalists will spill it all over the front pages. You will still be able to conduct good research, but your life will not be quiet. Still, you have the world at your feet, with money literally pouring into your hands with pure celebrity status (this is obviously optional, but you can take advantage of it by writing a book or going on TV).

Also, you can state what your research will be in, since that may affect the outcome.

>> No.3982699

b, clearly. you lose nothing by choosing b, nothing expect your virginity

>> No.3982703
File: 24 KB, 366x358, 1279419106867.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

B. Start promoting the FUCK out of LFTRs, and criticize the current administration for not getting their shit together in regards to space.

>> No.3982727

What exactly is the drawback ob b?
That people on the internet might twist your words? How the fuck is that relevant to anything you do?

>> No.3982728

A please. I don't want every person I meet to have preconceived notions about me and I sure as fuck don't want anything to do with the media.

>> No.3982735

B. I want my own popsci tv show.

>> No.3982756

>>3982727
exactly, this is what I think. people shouldn't be afraid of fame just because it will put emphasis on their mistakes, and the whole world will know your flaws. If those somehow manage to leak out, you're doing it wrong. You have to present yourself in public as a famous scientist, not a celebrity whose actions are scrutinized by gossip magazines. As long as you keep away from your personal life and focus purely and rigorously on your research, the public will forget about your biography and you will be a figure, not a person. Then you don't have to resort to extremes like Perelman.

>> No.3982776

>Media is all around you
>Exaggerated tall tales about your intelligence or supreme ability
>People worship you just by walking into a grocery store

Definitely a)

>> No.3982797

A. I'm not the type that can be respected.

>> No.3982799
File: 2.01 MB, 3045x2300, MATH big.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not participating in discussion, just posting something I love that is similar to OP's pic

>> No.3982800

>>3982728
> implying people don't get them just by looking at your face

>> No.3982804

I pick option B, then I'd take a gun to a high school and give smart people an even worse name than they did before. That way, the beatings high school nerds receive will be even more severe, and the glorious uneducated master race can rise once again.