[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 68 KB, 1000x500, logical.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3971768 No.3971768[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Being of sane, logical, and science oriented people, can we agree on this?

>> No.3971779

>>3971768
No, because atheism is completely illogical.

>> No.3971786
File: 81 KB, 500x500, 1289980793989.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3971779
>ohboyherewego

>> No.3971787

phew. i was pretty close admitting that there is a god, when something came to my mind reminding me that there is no god.

>> No.3971790
File: 15 KB, 260x269, 1286450154378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3971787

>> No.3971793

>>3971768

>Atheism-Universe,Matter and Energy Ex Nihilo
>Logical

Elect exclusive one.

>> No.3971796

>>3971768

ImOKwithThis.jpg

>> No.3971801

>>3971793
>Listing three items on one line
>Logical

Elect exclusive once.

>> No.3971806
File: 78 KB, 894x894, okwiththis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3971768
But i still shit all over deists.

>> No.3971807

>>3971801

>Reading Comprehension and Literacy
>You

Elect exclusively one.

>> No.3971812

>>3971806
Personally, I'm an atheist. But I have no problem with Deists, because they don't claim that I'm going to hell, or living in sin, or haven't accepted jesus as my one and only, or force laws from thousands of years ago on me.

>> No.3971821

>There is at least one god
>There isn't

Picking one makes sense.

>> No.3971844

>>3971793

Perhaps the universe, matter and energy have always existed, perhaps they go through cycles, transform into each other, perhaps the universe really came from nothing ( h__p : / / www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo).

Oh, wait! A Deus ex nihilo is much more plausible. Especially when this God asks men from his chosen people to cut their foreskins as a symbol of their alliance. Or when said god kills 14,700 Jews for protesting. Or when... Shall I go on? Makes. Perfect. Sense.

>> No.3971849

Deus Ex Nihilo

or

Universe created by a God, which itself needed to come from somewhere.

So that's another Deus Ex Nihilo with a God added.

The first one seems more likely to me.

>> No.3971851

>>3971844
Truth is in this post.

>>3971821
Truth is in this one as well.

I'm glad we can agree /sci/

>> No.3971859

>>3971768

Religious people are irrational and fucking retarded for the most part, but I'm OK with this if it means we get to disregard agnostics together. However, this means you religious fucktards aren't allowed to use the "YOU CAN'T KNOW!" 'argument' anymore, either.

>> No.3971876

>>3971859
From wikipedia

>Deism in religious philosophy is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of an all-powerful creator. According to deists, the creator does not intervene in human affairs. Deists typically reject supernatural events such as prophecy and miracles, tending instead to assert that a god (or "the Supreme Architect") does not alter the universe by intervening in it. This idea is also known as the Clockwork universe theory, in which a god designs and builds the universe, but steps aside to let it run on its own.

Seems okay to me if people believe this. Deism and Atheism are two sides of the same coin. The real problem Atheists have with the religious is that they try to force their beliefs onto us in some form of law or rule (GOD SAYS NO FAGS SO NO SAME SEX MARRIAGE.)

A deist cannot do this, so they're okay with me. Whether there's a creator who has nothing to do with us or there isn't a creator who has nothing to do with us, semantics.

>> No.3971889

The jews are just an uprisen underclass of the mesopotamian area. Dick cutting was a way to mark slaves in the ancient world, so the slaves go french-revolution and decide that they should be proud to have cut dicks.

The rest is just elaborate justification much like how Virgil made up the Aeneid to claim that Romans (and the emperor in particular) were descended from an escaped Trojan demigod.

>> No.3971893

>>3971768

No, OP, we can't. Sadly, the fundamentals of the agnostic position, that conclusive knowledge one way or the other in this particular matter is impossible at the moment, is a viable alternative.

Personally, I think agnostics are just trying to have their cake and eat it too, but currently their position is intellectually tenable. Hopefully, the physical sciences will advance to the point one day where we can conclusively say "no you fuckwit, there is no such thing as a god." I long for that day.

>> No.3971896

>>3971859
>However, this means you religious fucktards aren't allowed to use the "YOU CAN'T KNOW!" 'argument' anymore, either.
As a religious fucktard myself, I generally just say "YOU CAN'T KNOW, LET'S STOP DISCUSSING IT, AND JUST MOVE ON TO SOME TOPIC THAT IS ACTUALLY PRODUCTIVE, EH?!"

>> No.3971899
File: 14 KB, 217x294, that_fucking_agnostic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3971896

>> No.3971910

>The real problem Atheists have with the religious is that they try to force their beliefs onto us in some form of law or rule

No, the real problem I have with religious people is their blind faith in what is essentially a null hypothesis. I'll never trust a person incapable of critically evaluating their own beliefs and updating on evidence for such basic, obvious inconsistencies in said beliefs.

>> No.3971912

>>3971896

Are you a Christf­ag as well as being a religious fucktard? I have an argument against being such a thing solely from within the pages of the bible itself, if so, that just might liberate your mind.

>> No.3971925

>>3971912

Using fictional evidence is just poor form, even if it's used against itself. There is more than enough material in physics, epistemology, and pretty much any field of modern science to disprove Christianity without needing to use their works of fiction. I feel that just gives those works undue credibility.

>> No.3971930

Sorry, but your shit logic is shit.

EVIDENCE is what determines what's true. And the goddies and religifreaks have already painted themselves into a corner, claiming their Gargantuan Sky Jew is "everywhere". Well, this "everywhere" thing is obviously fucking NOWHERE, hence it doesn't fucking exist.

Back to the drawing board, you stupid fucking religious cockshits.

>> No.3971937

Deists:
>Challenge science with religion. Raises questions, debates and arguments which ultimately gets us closer to understanding the universe

Atheists:
>Challenge religion with science. Raises questions, debates and arguments which ultimately gets us closer to understanding the universe

Agnostics:
>HURR IT CANNOT BE KNOWN ;_; HUMANITY IS JUST TO DUMB TO UNDERSTAND THE UNIVERSE... WHAT IS THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD? OFFENDING GOD IS NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT SO IT'S BEST NOT TO QUESTION IT AT ALL ;_;

>> No.3971938

>>3971930

You appear upset. As you said yourself, evidence determines truth, not cursing and emotional, flow-of-consciousness writing. So, either present evidence to your claims, or stop pretending they're more valid than deist claims without evidence to support that.

>> No.3971942

>>3971893
Except they're completely inconsistent. Name ANY other topic about which they've thought for more than five minutes and they're happy to give you an opinion. Russia was right to invade Georgia. Ghosts don't exist. 9/11 was a government conspiracy. Cryonics is a waste of money. The democratic party is the party you should vote for. Going to the dentist twice a year is much better than only going once a year or once every two years. The Soviet Union could have beaten Nazi Germany all by itself if it had to.

Any other topic, they have an opinion, or can at least tell you what they think is more probable than the other possibilities. But when it comes to God, they refuse to even address the fact that one conclusion can be more likely than another. Hypocrites.

>> No.3971945

>>3971925

Oh, I completely agree. The only reason I offer this argument ever is that to Christians, the bible is the only authoritative proof they believe in. Thus, when I can show them a massive flaw in their own proof, that cannot be argued as being metaphor or allegory or whatever it is Hovind is saying these days, they have to accept it, unlike the science they think is just all made up by the devil.

>> No.3971947

Most deists on /sci/ are not christian. Christians are so blatantly wrong, given that their entire belief system is based off lies, contradictions, and misinterpretations.
Deists have some reasonable points, even if the idea that their is some supreme creator who has no effect on our daily life is a bit ridiculous.