[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 292 KB, 806x746, albert-einstein1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3969089 No.3969089[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So here's my final understanding of relativity and time dilation after reading my 100th article on it. I think I am even more confused now. The universe is expanding at the speed of light, and so everything within it including you and spacetime is already moving at c. Any accelleration is actually not an accelleration, all movement is through time which has to warp and slow down to compensate for your "faster than light" travel. The faster something "moves" the more time needs to slow down. Light itself is not subject to this because photons travel as if time doesn't exist. Am I wrong?

Maybe I'm just retarded or something but I just can't seem to grasp why the faster you go "time" goes slower or that you cannot go faster than the speed of light. In any case, if light waves use all of their motion to travel through space at light speed and therefore have absolutely no motion through time, then why is it that light that was shone from faraway galaxies takes millions of years to reach us? If there was absolutely no motion through time, then it would seem that the light would have reached every destination possible instantly.

>> No.3969107

you've got it allllllll wrong. You seem to be mixing general and special relativity. Now I don't know anything about general relativity, but special relativity's central premise is that light's velocity is not relative to anything, but a constant. i.e. a sun moving at 0.5c, the light emitted from the sun will travel at c from the sun's reference frame and also at c in the reference frame of a spaceship flying away from the sun in the opposite direction, and infact every reference point. To make this physically possible, time and space are said to 'dilate' to accommodate this.

I'm not sure if you know basic wave mechanics, but this is not how sound and other waves work. They do travel relative to the things around them.
See: Doppler effect.

>> No.3969108

>>3969089
As I understand it, everybody travels in the fourdimensional (height, width, depth, time) space always at the speed of light. If he is "still" in relation to someone height, depth, width, then his speed through time is maximal (1 second of the observed one per 1 second of the observer, or "c").
If he travels, in relation to an observer, at half the speed of light, Pythagoras tells us that if his total speed is c, his speed through time is sqrt(c-c/2)=c/sqrt(2), or ~71% of c, thats for the observer "The clock on his arm goes 71% as fast as it should". If he would travel faster than light in relation to the observer, there would be no (not-complex) speed through time that would result in his total speed being c, therefore the assumption that he could travel faster than c through space (in relation to any observer) is false.

>> No.3969115

god damnit thats a lot of stuff to read. but i know some stuff about SRT and space in general (physics student), so give me a few min and i'll get out of bed drink some coffee and read your wall of text.