[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 15 KB, 400x320, facepalm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3965008 No.3965008 [Reply] [Original]

MFW Talking to brother about "over population", tell him that one aspect is that people are living longer now then ever before on average. Says he doesn't agree and that people lived longer in the past because there was less diseases...

Awkwardness of talking about any subject having a creationist family though it applies to any scientifically illiterate person.

>> No.3965012

at list he didn't mention Methuselah

>> No.3965021

>>3965008
>people lived longer in the past because there was less diseases

idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore

>> No.3965022

>>3965012
I feel bad because when he said it I paused for like 2 minutes trying to think how I could tell him why he was wrong without using the words evolution natural selection or evolved because he would immediately just stop listening.

Ofcourse after describing what happens I said that's basically evolution and natural selection but atleast he listened to the point first.

>> No.3965029

>>3965022
what in the fuck does evolution have to do with our lifespans? Just mention medical technology, or is he opposed to that as well?

>> No.3965031

>>3965022
just show him actuarial or census statistics

>> No.3965041

>>3965029
Evolution has alot to do with our life spans, telomeres for one but other than that when discussing disease how it adapts you have to use evolution, Explaining how certain diseases arose from domestication and civilizations.

>> No.3965047

>>3965031
He's talking like not just 100's or even a couple thousand he's talking like, 5000 - 1000 BCE where I'm not too sure there are census statistics of any degree.

>> No.3965048

>>3965041
Oh sorry, are you guys talking about modern vs. prehistory as you "now than ever before" ?

I thought you meant for things we actually have records of, like
>>3965031 said

>> No.3965050

>>3965041
and yes ofcourse environment and habits diet etc... etc.. have a huge effect on life span too.

>> No.3965056

>>3965047
>less diseases
tell him they had leprosy then until jesus sorted that out. and god kept sending plagues

>> No.3965075

>>3965008

I've had simmilar conversations with biblical literalists. One of my family members believes people lived longer in the past because "everyone in the bible lived past one hundred".

>> No.3965093

>>3965075
I had an encounter like that once. The dude was trying to explain to me that back in the good old Christian days people lived longer because the bible is true etc. I mentioned all the celebrated incest, particularly the episodes of near-extinction (adam & eve, Noah's ark), and concluded the only reason we're "less healthy" today is because God forced us all into repetitive inbreeding to populate the world.

he didn't bother me much after that.

>> No.3965119

>>3965075
Is there anyway of avoiding in future retarded awkward conversation short of having no conversation at all with my family? I speak to them very little as it is since I left home and anytime I do it always comes back to something where I'm like "yeeaahh, Nooooo that's not right."

>> No.3965136

>>3965093
>the only reason we're "less healthy" today is because God forced us all into repetitive inbreeding
that's the shit right there.

>> No.3965144

>>3965119
I don't feal awkward or try to avoid those conversations; I debate the fuck out of people like that.

A few years ago she gave me a copy of "Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution" for christmas. It's a book by a creationist trying to prove evolution is impossible. I sent it back with the first two chapters packed with postits indicating every factual error and deliberate lie.

>> No.3965151

>>3965144
Yeah and I've tried debating them about it.
But I can't debate faith, that's all they say what you believe is what you believe and what I believe is what I believe.
It's bull shit and I easily say well theres only one objective truth there either is a table in our kitchen or there isn't (currently) but they don't care it's arguing against emotion not arguing against facts.

>> No.3965176

You've gotta start discrediting the Bible directly.

This might help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSS-88ShJfo

>> No.3965177

>>3965151 all they say what you believe is what you believe and what I believe

They are trying to pretend that facts don't exist; that everything is just opinions, and therefore any position is equal.

Here's a fun experiment. Take one of their wallets. Tell him it is your belief that the wallet belongs to you. It doesn't matter that they believe it is their wallet because "what you believe is what you believe and what I believe is what I believe".

They will say that they can prove that the wallet belongs to them because it contains ID with their picture on it. What they have just done is use a fact to prove that one beliefe is much more likely to be true than another.