[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 104 KB, 500x333, 3372567720_68d90e9302.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3945586 No.3945586 [Reply] [Original]

So....when do you guys think we'll make alien contact? And how do you think shit will go down? Srry for sci-fi just interested in other people's opinions

>> No.3945599

if it's going to happen at all, it's going to happen within the next 50 years, as we'll have studied most of the starts from 50-1000 light years by then. If none of them show and EM signals, then there still might be intelligent life, just we're the first to really be outputting an EM signal within 100 light years of us since the 1900s.

(maybe we were the first to find EM communications? FFS, it's only been around for less than 100 years, there may be 3 civvies within 500 light years that are slightly ahead, on par or behind our tech)

>> No.3945634

It will almost certainly be in the form of microorganisms, probably somewhere within our solar system and sometime within the next century.

We'll shoot a probe out there, confirm its existence, gather data, and maybe return with a contained sample. We'll then analyze it to gain a better understanding of how life is able to form on other planets, what conditions are conducive to this process, and how long it would likely take for intelligent life to arise. From there I expect we'll try to develop a solid profile for probable life-bearing world, send out more probes, and continue on in this manner until we make contact.

>> No.3945703

It'll be soon, but we won't know for awhile...

... Because it'll be predators.

>> No.3945798

This isn't really /sci/, but my favorite first encounter story has to be "Three Worlds Collide"

>> No.3945828

>>3945599
>within 50 years

Not really, it could be tomorrow or it could happen in a thousand years, if humanity is still around by then.

For all we know they use entirely different means of communication.

Shit, if they've been around for long enough they would use things most of us would perceive as magic.

>> No.3945835

>>3945828
Alternately, what if Humans are currently the most advanced race out there, and everyone else is at least a hundred years behind? We dream about the great wizards of the galaxy choosing to let us into their domain, but what if it's the other way around?

>> No.3945838

>>3945835
Just as likely indeed.

Though the universe is so big, there have to be bafuckingjillions of races out there far more advanced than us as well.

I dont really see us reaching a more primitive species anytime soon though, so I dont think it will happen that way.

>> No.3945840

>>3945835
Paraphrased from "The Mote In God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

>> No.3945864

>>3945838

>Though the universe is so big, there have to be

Why?

What if life normally on average takes 50 billion years to develop intelligence on the level of space travel (and therefore hasn't otherwise), and humans are freakishly fast?

>> No.3945869

>>3945864
Because it doesn't, our solar system isn't that old when you look at the big picture.

There have been a fuckton of stars at this exact stage and beyond before life on our planet even existed.

>> No.3945887

>>3945869

Yes but consider that life may require heavy metals (therefore have to exist AFTER a second-generation supernova), in addition to everything else.

And I said on average. You can't prove against it, and the only evidence you have of how long intelligence takes to develop is the only evidence anyone has. We have NO fucking clue if we're an outlier or average.

>> No.3945891

But OP, I talked to a mexican yesterday.

>> No.3945893

>>3945887
As I said, there have been and must be planets near identical to earth, its so fucking huge out there.

We just cant know, but it still makes sense.

>> No.3945901

>>3945599

Are we even sure, if artificial radio signals were ever recognizable after travelling even short interstellar distances. They'd get scrambled and become virtually unrecognizable after traveling a few light years?

>> No.3946235
File: 1.94 MB, 2795x2795, galaxy and human signals.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3945901
>They'd get scrambled and become virtually unrecognizable after traveling a few light years?
Roughly, yes. TO get a clear signal they'd have to be within temporal range and looking STRAIGHT at us.

Pic related, it's how far our signals have reached.