[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 163 KB, 1010x736, PIA08391_Epimetheus%2C_Rings_and_Titan..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3916632 No.3916632 [Reply] [Original]

wheres one place in the solar system you think we should put more attention on? pic related, i think titan could have some form of life, and also it would be an awesome place to live. it also has an atmosphere, bodies of water, and rain. also, waking up to see the small sun in an orange sky right next to some large rings/planet,and the ocasional glimpse of a small moon. awesome.

>> No.3916648

and the added benefit of low gravity combined with a thick atmosphere lets you jump around, and fly with detachable wings.

>> No.3916647

Apostrophes and capital letters.

>> No.3916649

>i think titan could have some form of life, and also it would be an awesome place to live.
>AND

Let me stop you there.
If Titan is supporting life, and we want any other naturally occurring examples of life to be a kind of observational test of our current biological hypotheses about what is/isn't life, and how life does/doesn't work, we better be sure as FUCK that we are leaving Titan FUCKING ALONE.

TL;DR
If Titan has life on it, we can't touch it. Until the life there reaches a space-faring stage of its own sans human interference.

>> No.3916661
File: 231 KB, 1482x954, deepspacegeneralmain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

required image

>> No.3916662

>>3916649
well that sucks. what if there are already little humanoids there? and they had technology right up to before electricity.

>> No.3916665

>>3916649
If Titan supports life, then life is not rare, and therefore there's nothing special about it.

The biggest dangers I see with colonizing a planet with alien life is that we have no guarantees that our immune systems will be able to fight off any pathogens.

>> No.3916671

>>3916649

This guy doesn't know what to talk about, If there was life there we would fucking visit it and study it heavily, holy shit. there are already plans on missions there looking for life as well as europa.

>> No.3916675

>no guarantees that our immune systems will be able to fight off any pathogens.

That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard and people still believe it, it's just as absurd and thinking any aliens we find will be shaped like humans.

>> No.3916680

>>3916665
titans life would be methane/ethane based. the microbes wouldnt know shit what to do with us/melt before anything happens.

>> No.3916688

>>3916662
Nope. Nope. Nope.
When did we "get" electricity? My (lazy) search indicates some of the first experiments with electricity were in 1771. Think about everything that happened in human history in the last ~250 years.
Now try to imagine how different the world would be if some aliens came and visited then. Human culture would be RADICALLY different.

>But wouldn't any culture change when coming into contact with an alien at any point in time?
Yes, but it might as well be AFTER they get the capability to go looking for aliens. Arbitrary enough times, I know. But interfering in the development of an alien species is going to make them more like us (IMO) than it is going to make us like them. After all, in the case you presented, who has the "more advanced" technology?

>> No.3916690

>>3916665
>Wiping out alien species

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!

>> No.3916693

>>3916675
>stupidest shit I've ever heard
you a moron or something? cause I'm sure if you get infected with some alien flu your chances of surviving are slim to none as the human immune system is not adapted to fight it off.

>> No.3916695

>>3916671
Visiting =! living there.
Note that I was responding to OP's phrase
"and also it would be an awesome place to live"
with the AND.

>> No.3916701

>>3916688
i dont really think their history would be EXACTLY like ours, and why would we want them to go down violent paths without intervening? wouldnt that be the dream of any civilization? to have some big strong alien race swoop in and fix all of our problems? also, i see no reason we would have to stay away from them. your acting as if it would be like going back in time to the human race, and then coming back, but with ALL the repercussions. we arnt messing with their future because it didnt happen yet.

>> No.3916702

>>3916693

The issue here is the assumption that pathogens will work the same regardless of whether or not there was a common ancestor.
Viruses, for example, inject their RNA into your cells, so that your cells can make copies of them. This only works because we share the same "genetic code," having come from the same ancestor.

>> No.3916706

>>3916702
And you're so sure DNA and RNA aren't universal or at least common?

>> No.3916709

>>3916693
How the FUCK are you going to get alien flu, moron?

You're infinitely more likely to get bark rot from an birch tree than any illness from fucking alien life, you stupid shit.

Think about what the fuck you're suggesting.

>> No.3916710

>>3916702
You're assuming that alien disease works on the same principles as on Earth.

Something as simple as a microbe that we've never seen on our planet could cause pneumonia and we might not have any means of fighting it off.

>> No.3916727

>>3916709
Man you sound angry.
You angry?

>> No.3916730
File: 201 KB, 541x458, 1303845376076.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3916710

>> No.3916735

>>3916701
That is exactly why your parents do all of your homework for you.
If you want to learn anything, you have to do it yourself. Sure, it would be nice for some
>ancient aliums
to come swooping in and tell us how to not be stupid about economies and how we can equitably distribute food to all humans, and how we can cure all earthly pathogens, BUT:
1) We're going to make the same mistakes over again, regardless. (Have you ever tried to tell someone that something was a bad idea, fix it for them, and then catch them doing the same thing later? Yeah, that's what's going to happen here.)
2) Any novel solution to a problem probably won't occur if you're given one way of doing things. Even in physics, there are multiple ways to derive the equations. You would really sacrifice the potential for new insight?

>your acting as if it would be like going back in time to the human race, and then coming back, but with ALL the repercussions. we arnt messing with their future because it didnt happen yet.

Not really. First contact with any alien life is going to change any endemic species. It really doesn't play into it, whether they are humans and have the same way of thinking and the same rate of technological change (completely implausible, unless there's something else going on that we're missing) or whether they're inside-out slime beasts that reproduce with spores.

>> No.3916741

>>3916710
We have no means of fighting it off, but likewise IT HAS NO MEANS OF ATTACKING US.

Jesus christ you're a derpy motherfucker.

>>3916727
Yes, I'm violently upset over a minor matter of theoretical alien pathology.
>No, you idiot, you're just wrong and I'm an asshole.

>> No.3916743

>>3916730
All it takes would be an alien life form that your body doesn't recognize to start multiplying in the unusually high temperature of your lungs or digestive tract or wherever.

>> No.3916747

>>3916710
Maybe I need to be more emphatic about this to /sci/ today..

>The issue here is the assumption that pathogens will work the same regardless of whether or not there was a common ancestor.
>The issue here is the assumption that pathogens will work the same regardless of whether or not there was a common ancestor.

>> No.3916751

>>3916741
You're making an assumption that all pathogens have evolved to cause harm to humans, which is wrong. Most of the time, people get sick from a relatively benign microbe being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

>> No.3916759
File: 10 KB, 152x159, ohgod.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3916743

>> No.3916761

>>3916741
I would much rather assume it does have a means of infecting the human body than just ignoring it.

You're making a huge assumption there as well, bud.
>theoretical alien pathology
>theoretical
>I'm right you're wrong fuck you

>> No.3916763

>>3916743
How the fuck is it going to multiply, genius?
Can it extract nutrients from itself, because
>infinite free energy

(Please, /sci/, I swear if you think I am HONESTLY suggesting free energy, then maybe there is no hope for you...)

>> No.3916767
File: 6 KB, 153x159, die.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3916751

>> No.3916770

>assumption
>assumption
>assumption
>assumption
>assumption
>assumption
>assumption

>> No.3916774
File: 33 KB, 302x300, 1300231517886.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3916761

>> No.3916778

>>3916763
Are you implying that a bacteria in my lungs is consuming tissue in order to survive?

>> No.3916779

>>3916761
>implying that when we find alien life, we're just going to plop ourselves down on the planet without taking any sort of precautions, however silly they may be, for fear of any pathogen-swapping harmful interactions.

Saying that alien pathogens infecting us is a likely thing demonstrates that you have no fucking clue about how pathogens work.
Please, enlighten yourself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathogen

>> No.3916782

>>3916743
First off:
>unusually high temperature
You have no way of saying what the norm is for an alien microbe, so you don't know that our bodies are "unusually warm". And they're really not by any standard.
Secondly, and most importantly, IT CAN'T MULTIPLY IN US WITHOUT BEING ADAPTED TO UTILIZE THAT SPECIFIC ENVIRONMENT.

>> No.3916783

>>3916735
my parents do my.. wha? im just trying to say it wouldnt be the worst thing in the solar system if we made contact. maybe we could stay isolated if they are in a time frame between the dawn of civilization and modern day, but i dont see why not if its just some animal organisms. also, aliens visited us at the dawn of civilization. i think the worst case scenario would be rather them worshiping us, or them, or be able to understand what we are, but become completely dependent on us.

>> No.3916784

Alien pathogens derived from alien biology would have no effect on us. Absolutely none. Unless by some ridiculous chance life evolved along exactly the same lines on Titan or whatever, we'd be immune to anything coming at us.

As for the OP's question, I'd like more knowledge about what goes on inside all those gas giants. I'm sure they're just giant balls of spinning shit but I'm still honestly curious what is under the outer atmosphere of Jupiter, Saturn etc.

>> No.3916793

>>3916782
And I guess you've never heard of invasive species. An organism doesn't have to be adapted specifically for a certain environment in order to be extremely successful within that environment.

>> No.3916798

>>3916783
forgot to take part of he aliens visiting humans thing out, was gonna troll you with ancient aliens.

>> No.3916802

>>3916779
no me comprendo
I never said it was likely, but unlikely still means there is a fucking chance of it happening

>> No.3916810

The asteroid belt. Screw Mars, we'll grow diamond armored skin and stride the irradiated void with impunity.

>> No.3916815

OP here, nyone have any ideas regarding the original topic?

>> No.3916834

>>3916784
Jupiter's got a FUCK of a gravitational force. The tidal forces between Jupiter and the other moons practically rip Io a new anus on a multi-daily basis.
It also has a FUCK of a magnetic field, the effects of which I can no longer remember from that one astronomy class (for babies) I took.

>>3916783
2 million years ago on this planet, all you would see were "animal organisms" including dinosaurs, and the first traces of mammals.
Humans didn't start existing until as (geologically) recently as 200,000 years ago. We didn't start using tools until 10,000 years ago.
If you're an alien flying around in a spaceship 300,000 years ago, you would have no way of knowing that there would be intelligent life on the planet "soon." Unless you travel around the universe under the assumption that life-bearing planets have the potential to develop "intelligent life" given enough time.

>> No.3916841

>>3916802
But it's stupid to seriously be suggesting as a reason to not go visit a planet that has life on it. Which is what I believe it was originally mentioned in the context of.

>> No.3916847

>>3916834
then why would it matter? intelligent life could evolve here if we gave it a while. we might as well just wait for chimps/crows/dolphins.

>> No.3916866

>>3916847
I don't believe intelligent life could evolve on the surface of Earth, while we're here anyway.

Maybe it could in the ocean, but there are fewer pressures for technology underwater.

>> No.3916871

>2 million years ago on this planet, all you would see were "animal organisms" including dinosaurs, and the first traces of mammals.

this nigga is full retard

>> No.3916874

>>3916834
Well, yeah, I know Jupes and co are all fuckhuge and have gravity wells the size of your mother's ass but as far as I'm aware that's the extent of our knowledge really. I just wish we had some more readily available knowledge about what goes on under the hood, their weather systems, that sort of deal.

>> No.3916890

>>3916847
Well, sure, even human civilization doesn't seem to be doing jack-all to inhibit Corvids. However, we have co-evolved with all of the other organisms on this planet. Things would be much different if humans just plopped down on some life-bearing planet and started using up all of the resources.

>>3916871
>Dinosaurs (from Greek: δεινός terrible or potent, and σαύρα lizard) are a diverse group of animals that were the dominant terrestrial vertebrates for over 160 million years, from the late Triassic period (about 230 million years ago) until the end of the Cretaceous (about 65 million years ago).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur
>the first true mammals appeared 220 million years ago in the Triassic period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammal
>The Triassic is a geologic period that extended from about 250 to 200 Mya (million years ago).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triassic

Or were you going the
>The earth is only 5,000 years old
route?

>> No.3916900

>>3916890

you said 2 million years

>> No.3916901

>>3916701
Humans interacting with unevolved alien life forms will be the most disasterous thing ever to happen to them.

Let's take the fact that the 'astronaughts' would most likely be American. Just look at what they've done to the Earth. It's a pile of shit in decay now. If we let Americans say hello to an alien species, there would probably be US invasion plans within a week, as a backup of course. Their main priority would be to establish a fast food chain there, along with conservative churches and zionist institutions.

>> No.3916910

>>3916890
Dude, you just proved yourself wrong.
>>2 million years ago on this planet, all you would see were "animal organisms" including dinosaurs, and the first traces of mammals.

>> No.3916916

>>3916901
>If we let Americans say hello to an alien species, there would probably be US invasion plans within a week, as a backup of course.
The US has contingency plans for alien invasion NOW. Seriously.

>> No.3916918

>>3916900
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKK

I initially started out with 2 billion, changed my mind, switched to a smaller time scale, and fucked the whole thing up.
I apologize.

>> No.3916921

>>3916916
No, I mean to invaide *their* world.

>> No.3916943

>>3916910
Yup.
I fucked it up.

Revised point (disregard that that first sentence sucked cocks):
Humans didn't start existing until as (geologically) recently as 200,000 years ago. We didn't start using tools until 10,000 years ago.
If you're an alien flying around in a spaceship 300,000 years ago, you would have no way of knowing that there would be intelligent life on the planet "soon." Unless you travel around the universe under the assumption that life-bearing planets have the potential to develop "intelligent life" given enough time.

>> No.3916949

>>3916921
Yeah, I know, just sayin'.

>> No.3916995

>>3916901
eheehehehehehehe.... im sure there is nothing worse than america when it comes to being the #1 country in the world
>russia
>china
>whatever shithole you come from.

>> No.3917084

>>3916995
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you American? What are you doing on /sci/? I'm aware that this is hardly a gathering for the brightest minds in the Universe, but you could at least try to make sense.

The whole world can see how shit America is, and hates it. Yet, it's clearly very ironic that 99.9% of American's don't care - not due to being arrogant, but because trying to figure out why is too taxing on the brain and it was largely easier to give up and continue being cancer.

>> No.3917248

>>3916815

The real OP here, I really don't know why this guy tried to impersonate me but we're having some decent discussion, and I guess thanks for the post, the original topic is interesting and we should discuss more of it as well.

Also, we would be completely immune to alien pathology, it's very fucking improbable that life developed the same as here on Earth.

>> No.3917346

>>3917248
my mistake, I'm high and thought I was still in my own thread. Carry on.

>> No.3917352

Do you guys realize that the average temperature on Titan is nearly 200 C below zero?

There's not even any oxygen in its atmosphere.

Clearly life can adapt to various surroundings, but talking about living there yourself is kinda silly

>> No.3917379 [DELETED] 

>wikipedia
>Space_colonization
interdasting.jpg

>> No.3917401

>>3917379
Yeah, reading about terraforming and astrobioligy on there is fucking crazy.

>> No.3917418

Venus. It's the most earth-like planet in our solar system, aside from Earth itself.

>> No.3917424 [DELETED] 

>>3917418
wikipedia
>While the surface of Venus is far too hot and features atmospheric pressure at least 90 times that at sea level on Earth, its massive atmosphere offers a possible alternate location for colonization.
cities in the clouds

>> No.3917425

If no one has said Europa then I'll say it. Europa.

It's got liquid water. Earth has liquid water. Life came from liquid water. If algae like lifeforms exist on it, then holy shit.
Personally, I think we're done with the Solar System. Should move into Oort cloud and check it out.

>> No.3917431

>>3917425
No one has proven that liquid water or ice exists anywhere else. People can think it all day long, but no one has proven it. We are alone - at least in this solar system.

>> No.3917455
File: 455 KB, 1580x977, Enceladus_geysers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Enceladus has water.

>> No.3917457

>>3917431
>>3917431

Nigga read a book. You've failed like, so hardcore. Just leave.

>> No.3917463

There's probably not intelligent life in our solar system but probably microbiology under Europa or on Titan, if we're lucky there might be giant fish like creatures under europa.

>> No.3917493

>>3917431

Ice is pretty common, an easy example of this are the countless asteroids and small planets on our outer solar system
> Ex. pluto being covered in ice

>> No.3917668

Psst. I've got a secret.

All this talk of going to planets to search for life? Scientists know there is no life except on Earth. The "search for life" is a con to get the science-ignorant people in power to fund science missions.

Don't tell anybody.

>> No.3917679

why is mars too small to have a decent atmosphere while titan is tiny and has a thick atmosphere?

>> No.3917694

>>3917668
what evidence are they hiding?

>> No.3917757

>>3917431
>>3917431
Are you fucking stupid?
These are all facts I'm about to list:
Asteroids are mostly ice.
Mars has ice caps.
Saturn's rings are mostly ice.
Enceladus and several other moons are mostly ice.

ICE IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMON SUBSTANCES IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM.

>> No.3917759

>>3917679
Titan doesn't have a thick atmosphere, just a *relatively* thick atmosphere.

And the difference has less to do with size than with age and geological/chemical histories. I'm sure distance from the sun contributes as well.

>> No.3917777

>>3917759
Titan's surface pressure is about 1.45 times that of Earth's. Titan's atmosphere is about 1.19 times as massive as Earth's overall. I'd call that thick.

>> No.3917820

>>3917777
It's true AND quads! hory shit!

>> No.3917823

Vacuum makes a good insulator, titan's atmosphere does not. It would be horrible trying to live there. It's cold and it smells like ass.