[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 26 KB, 300x300, 1303359811329.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3916423 No.3916423 [Reply] [Original]

I've never posted in this forum before, but I have an interesting dilemma/question.

I'm a 25 year old Computer Science major attending a community college, and I'm taking Calculus 2 (integration/sequences and series). Today some kids (3 freshmen?) actually confronted me after class and asked me to stop asking "random" questions. My questions generally consist of asking for justifications for certain things that aren't obvious to me, or hypotheticals that I use to reconstruct how a problem was done. Very rarely do they take more than 30 seconds or so to answer, and I ask maybe 3-5 in a 1 hour, 10 minute class, including questions from the previous night's homework.

My question is, am I the dick or are they the dicks? They were separated at the beginning of the semester for talking, and spend most of the lecture texting. I guess I'm asking for validation because I'm extremely insecure about asking questions because I don't want to seem stupid.

tl;dr Have any of you been insecure about asking questions in math/science courses because people become annoyed by it and made you feel stupid for having to ask?

>> No.3916430
File: 67 KB, 407x405, 1289953988372.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Today some kids (3 freshmen?) actually confronted me after class and asked me to stop asking "random" questions.

This is the part of the story where you tell them to go fuck themselves.

>> No.3916426

if you're paying for your education then you have the right to ask the questions. if not, then why do you care anyway.

>> No.3916436

>>3916423
>They were separated at the beginning of the semester for talking, and spend most of the lecture texting.

I think you know the answer OP.

Tell them to fuck off.

>> No.3916435

>>3916430
>>3916430
I did, basically. It was actually a girl and two guys, and the girl is the one that started shit. She said "could you stop asking random questions?" and I asked how it was random, etc. Eventually she started being a bitch about it and she said it was annoying, and I said "That's okay" every time she said something else from then on and left. I've just always had this problem, it seems like. It's hard for me to do well in math, this just compounds the problem. I have to feel comfortable in the classroom.

>> No.3916441

>>3916423

No OP. We proclaim solidarity with you. The only issue that someone who asks many questions, would be if they are asking irrelevant questions irrelevant to the topic. Questions that could be saved for the professor after hours, that don't necessarily pertain to the information lectured that day. Doesn't sound like you were doing this. Next time they say this to you, stop acting like a pussy and tell them to fuck off.

>> No.3916443

We once had this guy in physics class who asked so many questions even the teacher got fed up of it. He got a 98% in the final exam while most of the people complaining about his questions scrapped passing grades. Ignore those dicks and do what you need to do to get what you want.

>> No.3916448
File: 160 KB, 589x632, 1302664528772.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3916443
>We once had this guy in physics class who asked so many questions even the teacher got fed up of it.
>He got a 98% in the final exam while most of the people complaining about his questions scrapped passing grades.

>hfw

>> No.3916449

>>3916423
Asking questions is an essential part of learning, especially in math, where only truly understanding it will get you good grades. If you feel insecure about something, just ask.
Ignore the idiots, they're just being idiots.

>> No.3916450

>>3916443
Same thing happened to me in programming class. Everyone made fun of this one guy because of all the "stupid" questions he made and because he didn't know shit about programming at the beginning. Most of the class failed, he passed like a boss.

>> No.3916452

>>3916441
>>3916436
>>3916430
The part that kind of fucked me up about it is that I forgot one of my gloves in class (I ride a motorcycle, I'm not a MJ enthusiast), and I had to go back to get it, and they were talking to the professor. Then the professor starts asking me to "tailor" my questions. She's a cool lady, so I talked her into admitting that these kids were douches, so I feel okay with the professor now.

>>3916441
Thanks for your input, I'm a big vagina but it does make me feel better.

>>3916443
I'm pulling a 91% in that class, which is phenomenal for me (this is my second time taking it), and I'm convinced one major reason is because I feel okay asking questions. I talked to another kid whose opinion I respect as well (also in the class), and he said the same thing.

>> No.3916456

I am taking Probability right now and there's these two motherfuckers in the class that raise their hands literally every 1 minute. They must ask 60 questions per class. You can tell the professor hates them, he eventually says "let's discuss your questions during my office hours", and then we get an email saying he cancelled office hours.

I can understand, and promote, people asking questions, but these two guys ask questions just for the sake of asking questions. They actually hinder the class, we're one chapter behind where we should be.

To OP, ask what you want. I went to a community college before uni and it was 98% black scumbags. My calc 2 class had 3 people in it. Do what you need to succeed and ignore the future mcdonalds employees.

>> No.3916457

>>3916449
>>3916449
Thanks

>> No.3916453

>>3916450
>>3916450
I did the same thing in programming class, only I had two friends who were in the same boat as me, so it wasn't as bad.

>> No.3916465

You're in community college. Don't complain about what community college is like. That's your own damn fault.

>> No.3916467

>>3916456
>he eventually says "let's discuss your questions during my office hours", and then we get an email saying he cancelled office hours.

Oh fuck I lol'd. What a badass professor.

>> No.3916471

HOW DARE YOU ASK QUESTIONS IN A LEARNING ENVIROMENT?
Though maybe you should try waiting until after to ask the prof the questions.

>> No.3916475

>>3916467
haha, he's chinese and his english is terrible. I just picture him with beads of sweat on his face writing the email and then running out of the office.

he's pretty badass.

>> No.3916477

OP here, thanks for all the responses, I've been posting thanks individually, too.

>>3916465
I guess I wouldn't completely disagree with you, if by "my fault" you mean "you weren't born with enough money to go to a UC". I'm attending community college to get residency so I can avoid UC tuition for two years and not pay out of state tuition fees.
>>3916471
If it's not related, I do. I ask a fraction of the questions I actually have because I really don't want to waste other peoples' time. The problem is, she has another class literally moments after ours ends and she always goes over time on our class.

>> No.3916480

>>3916456

That just sounds like a shitty professor. You think it's alright for a professor who's getting paid (regardless of how they're paying) to teach and answer questions is outright ditching his duties?

>>3916423

Make sure you go in after hours to talk with the professor. I've found that people can usually explain things so much better when not in front of a crowd (especially true for first year professors).

>> No.3916487

>>3916480
I think he answers a reasonable amount of questions. Honestly I don't know if he's cancelling office hours because of that, but it sounds so much cooler if he is. The timing is perfect.

There's a thin line between asking questions and helping the class and hurting the class. These guys totally hinder everyone. They need to go to his office if they're going to ask that much

>> No.3916495

>>3916487
>>3916487
OP here, I completely agree. There are maybe three people in my class who ask questions total, me being one of them. It just seems like the people who don't ask questions don't benefit from them, so they don't want anyone to ask.

>> No.3916494

>2+2=4
>If we use the Roman Alphabet, and Roman numerals are I, II, III, then whose numbers are we using?
>4x4=16
>You know if you draw four fours on top of each other facing different ways, it makes a swastika
>Everybody copy this down
>I once saw a movie where a guy copied HIMSELF with a copying machine, I forget what it's called though, but it's a good movie lol
>Stop asking random questions
>Fuck you dickface all my questions pertain to the topic

If this isn't you, then they should shut up. I think, though, that this is probably you and that you're a retard with a fucked up head shape. I make this assumption because I have a tard like this in ALL of my fucking classes.

>> No.3916500

>>3916487

...and yet they have no way to ask him outside of class, because he cancels office hours. I can understand having a complaint if their questioning is just outright detrimental to the class, but if there's no alternative (asking the prof after-hours)... I can't blame them whatsoever. Sure they could go to school tutors, but those are students with even a lower experience of teaching the subject than a prof is.

>> No.3916501

What state is this in?

>> No.3916503

>>3916494
Perhaps I am the oddly shaped retard of which you speak. But would that retard post here? Wait, scratch that...

I'm not the wobbly-headed retard, I promise. I'm just not as good at math as some people.

>> No.3916505

>>3916501
>>3916501
California, Santa Clarita.

>> No.3916515

the guy who does this in all of my classes is a troll, not a tard.

he gets good grades, sucks up to the teacher (which allows him to troll in class for about a quarter of it), and pisses everyone in the class off.
i dont know what to do about this faggot.
i get better grades than him, but i want him to die.

>> No.3916523

>>3916515
>>3916515
OP here, we had a kid in the same Calc 2 class that I'm in who just talked out of turn and was really verbal. It didn't bother me, but some people were annoyed by it. Just get a group of people together to talk to the professor. Just don't complain about the kid asking legitimate questions, cause then he'll get grouped in with that asshole and some freshmen will try to make him look like an assfuck.

>> No.3916548
File: 175 KB, 511x477, 's_Syndrome.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Let me get some clarification OP:Is this like a time when a grandmother offers a cookie if you answer her question type hypothetical you're asking?

long answer short: shut the hell up in class you're question break the flow of the lecture and interrupts everyone's including the professor thought processes. There are OH for a reason...

>> No.3916549

I think that professors kind of plan that some percentage of time in each class will be spent answering questions. Am I wrong thinking this? Isn't that why you go to a class instead of just reading stuff in the library and on the internet then taking tests for diplomas?

>> No.3916557

>>3916548
>>3916548
Well, I don't know what you mean, really. In addition to this, when at least 50% of the class is spent doing examples, I don't feel like a question "breaks the flow".
>>3916549
That was my argument. I've gotten everything out of the book I'm going to get for this section, everything else will come from youtube videos and class interaction. I learn more maieutically, I guess.

>> No.3916599

Some teachers are good at answering questions, if they are, I don't mind questions. Some questions are well-formulated, and if they are, I don't mind them.

Some teachers simply can't answer questions. Either they're foreign and will never understand what you're asking, or they're just fucking awful at explaining things and usually cause more confusion.

Some people simply can't ask questions. They either don't know the first thing about what they're asking, or they're just plain awful at formulating questions.

Sometimes you get a teacher who's great at explaining things and people who ask great questions. It is incredibly rare.

>> No.3916604

you are probably asking questions that are on everyone's minds anyway.

>> No.3916614

>2011
>Caring what faggots in your class think
>ISHYGDDT

>> No.3916643

>>3916604
>>3916604
I hope I am. I know in some cases people have referenced me and said that they were thinking something along the same lines.

>> No.3916653

I agreee, you are paying. If you are polite and direct and not disruptive then you should feel no qualms about asking whatever you need to ask whenever you need to ask it.

Those people complaning are not your problem.

>> No.3916663

>>3916426

>DUURRR ONLY DAH MAHNEYZ MAKE IT IMPERTERNT!!!

Society will crumble and you'll kill yourself because you can't GET DAH MAHNEYZ!

>> No.3916674

>>3916423

Next time say "Excuse me, I have a workout to continue."

I know it's /sci/, but that will confuse the fuck out of them.

>> No.3916686

>>3916674
>>3916674
I thought of everything I should have said after the fact. Honestly, I was thrown by the accusation that I was asking "random" questions. Also, the professor completed all the example problems she wanted to do, she just didn't do all the simplifications, etc. I was shocked, to be honest. I just told them I was alright with the fact that it annoyed them, and that I wasn't going to stop.