[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 760 KB, 1024x768, Penguins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3909474 No.3909474 [Reply] [Original]

4th year engineering student here.

I avoided doing my first year chemistry elective until next semester. Partly because I think chemistry is gay as fuck and just requires a bunch of shitty memorization.

So I have two options for courses: I can take Chemistry for engineering; or Physical and Organic Chemistry + Structural chemistry.

What sounds easier? Would you think a first year engineering chem course would be more of a weedout course than an actual science course?

>> No.3909482

How can they let you take physical/organic chem before taking first year chemistry?

>> No.3909488

>>3909482

It's a first year course.

>> No.3909532

>>3909488
That must be the worst p/ochem education imaginable.

>> No.3909536

I don't know who your teacher was, but chemistry is more than rote memorization. It's insight into the mechanics of the universe, just like physics and engineering are, and it's damn beautiful. Obviously there's information to be remembered, but that goes with anything you learn at the university level, and a good teacher can make the connection between the ideas and the student's actual understanding and interpretation of them seamless.

Orgo is a admittedly much more memorization than first year chem though it's still filled with physically intuitive ideas which, if you take in for a moment, can be pretty wonderful and a driving force for your completion of the course.

You're a lazy dumbass to think that it would be better worth your time to get an opinion about a problem you understand yourself the best from /sci/ instead of comparing the classes and applying yourself.
We don't even know your college's name and what exactly the differences between those two courses are; you'd be the best at doing that.

>> No.3909538
File: 59 KB, 680x560, 1283171529070.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gen/engineering chem is basically the atomic parts of intro physics
Ochem is a bunch of shitty memorization
Pchem can either be Quantum chem=fun or thermochem=pain
Structural Chem is "This is my special flask that has the right imperfection to grow extra pretty crystals"

>> No.3909555

>>3909538
>implying that's resonance and not hydride shift