[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 8 KB, 500x374, Dispersive_Prism_Illustration_by_Spigget.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3889196 No.3889196 [Reply] [Original]

I had an idea of improving solar panels, I havent thought much of it but I would like to run it by you guys for any obvious flaws.

First, to my understanding solar panels are inefficient because they can only use a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. What if we use prisms to separate parts of the spectrum and then using more prisms to convert "bad" wavelengths to "good" wavelengths, thus using the whole spectrum, increasing the efficiency dramatically?

>> No.3889214

I have no idea about the physics behind your theory, but I have to say, that sounds very expensive. That might be your answer to why we don't do it, should it be theoretically possible.

>> No.3889250

Prisms don't work that way.

There are however nonlinear optics that can be used to convert a portion of an incoming wavelength into a shorter wavelength, but they're inefficient and intensity dependent.

>> No.3889258

>>3889196
are you the idiot whose taking out a loan and thinks solar power is the way forward despite the painful existence of solar energy for the past 30 years of existence?

>> No.3889269

You need to actually LEARN about electrodynamics and stuff if you want to help build solar panels.

Solar panels work because of the photovoltaic effect; basically photons from the sun that have lots of energy bump into electrons which are held in place by the atoms making up the solar cell, and then conducting metals are used to focus all of these displaced electrons and transform them into electric current.

The sun emits wavelengths from the entire electromagnetic spectrum; in fact solar panels begin to loose efficiency due to higher and higher temperatures (as the electrons become too crazy to even conduct properly)

>> No.3889278
File: 33 KB, 850x599, Atmospheric_Absorption_Bands.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3889196
if you don't know this image, please stop talking.

>> No.3889294

k i guess i will definitely rethink that lol. i just wanted an opinion from people with more knowledge on the subject

>> No.3889296

>>3889196

They already have solar cells that can use larger portions of the electromagnetic spectrum: heterojunction solar cells