[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 56 KB, 1024x819, ,k,.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3883268 No.3883268 [Reply] [Original]

I am in need of serious help /sci/. I feel like a complete waste of space and a moron. I can't get past a 79 on my midterms. Idk what I'm doing wrong, I study and take practice tests, then take the real tests and get a 55 on my physics midterm, 75 on my calc midterm, and 79 and 70 on my chemistry midterms. I feel so stupid, I don't even feel like I deserve to continue on in university. What should I do? An hero?

>> No.3883277

>>3883268
maybe drop outta uni and go to community college where it is cheaper and has the basics you need to pass then go back to uni?

>> No.3883301

Generally problems like this mean you're not studying effectively. Normally I would go off on a long spiel about how to study better, but the reality is that there are plenty of resources on the internet, and likely at your school, to help you study more effectively. Further, what works for some people doesn't work for others. I will say, though, that running practice problems is almost always more effective than conceptual review, and just taking one practice test may not be sufficient for that purpose. I don't know if you've been taking one or four practice tests though, so I won't claim that this necessarily applies to you.

>> No.3883305

Before any faggots with malignant narcissism start calling you hopeless, listen to me:

What you are probably experiencing is a problem with emotional stigma associated with studying hard science and math. I was the same way until I took some time to seriously meditate and rid myself of the dense, irritating and overwhelming way I went into the study material.

I suggest you get yourself to winter break and get caught up on sleep firs of all. Then just sit with one of the textbooks in a quiet, low stimulation environment in your house/apartment/whatever and read the sections you were having trouble with like you're reading a novel or something. Coax yourself into appreciating the material.

You have as much potential to master any of the hard sciences as anybody else, and you have to remember that.

>> No.3883311

Have you tried study groups? Have you tried going to one of the free tutoring centers your school probably offers? What about your professor? TAs?

Have you experimented with different study techniques? Have you researched effective study methods?

Never waste your time feeling depressed or sorry for yourself. It's always possible to fix problems, just change your outlook anon.

>> No.3883329

don't an hero OP. you're doing the most difficult curriculum offered (maybe outside of some types of engineering) and its expected that you struggle. you can't get better without struggling. i struggled for a fucklong time but after i practiced studying and clearing my head the rewards came. it doesnt come overnight (although it could, in some bizarre moment of clarity) but rest assured 99% of people who are in your position struggle

>> No.3883343

Seek help with what you're studying. Spend more time with your face in the books. Stop wasting time.

Talk to a therapist about your internet addiction.

>> No.3883371

stop your physical exercises
it works for me...
less testosterone and more oxygen to the brain
makes you see things more clearly

>> No.3883379

>>3883343
This. Pay attention in class. Do your homework legitimately - NOT on a last minute basis, NOT with a solutions manual. If you want to develop a better understanding of the subject, then do more than what's assigned. If you are passionate about your chosen field, all of the above will be easy. If not, don't worry, few of us are. Keep going, you'll be glad you stuck it out.

>> No.3883410

>>3883268
I just fucked up a midterm today. I know this feel.

>> No.3883439

You need to be studying quite a few hours a day. Discipline yourself. Some of us here can jerk off on 4chan for everyday, cram the day before the test, and still ace math/physics/chemistry tests. But others are different. Not everyone can do that.

Know thyself.

Unless you fall into the 5% of the population that is legitimately retarded, you should be able to get A's in your undergrad classes with ample studying.