[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 4 KB, 220x150, Red_Spectrum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3883169 No.3883169 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci/.

My school requires me to conduct a science experiment within the field of biology. I asked the question of:
"Do insects prefer some colors over others?"

The next task the class needs to do is conduct research and while I can find references and journals about color and insects in general, I can't seem to find any relating to the specific question.

So I'm going to turn to you guys. First off, is there any information about how animals perceive color you guys know about? Any references about how bees are attracted to colorful flowers maybe?

I just need 3 sources: .edus are good, science journals, or books. My school has this database filled with those types of things but as I said I've only found general articles that I used. Thanks.

>> No.3883184

>biology
>science
oh boy, it's troll o'clock and i haven't even derped yet

>> No.3883195

>>3883184
Don't get me started on how much I hate biology. I just have to do this because this shit is required. They didn't allow how plants behave when you pour random stuff in the soil so I just chose something I thought would be "challenging" enough.

>> No.3883196

>>3883169

How can you test preference of an insect? Do you make it fill out a questionnaire?

>> No.3883205
File: 12 KB, 438x403, 43289704789203.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3883196
hahaha.
I thought the same thing and I drew a little diagram to show how I might do it. It's going to be completely random when it comes to the results but who cares; I don't get a grade for how well its done, only if I actually did something.

>> No.3883225

I have nothing to support this but I don't think insects, especially bees, navigate with preferential color.

It's usually pheromones and scents. The brightly colored flowers tend to attract birds and mammals.

If you want to stick with color identification, I would recommend trying to change the subject.

Preferably to something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batesian_mimicry

>> No.3883228

>>3883205

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=color+preference+of+insects&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&
amp;oi=scholart

This might help you.

>> No.3883229

most insects can't see colors and those that do see them in different spectrum
so be careful which you pick

>>3883184
biology is the original science (herbology/cultivation) with first testable hypotheses and theories
sorry huttburt fgt that's just how it is

>> No.3883242

>>3883205

Also maybe see what these guys did

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1977.tb02657.x/abstract
>>3883228

>> No.3883255

>>3883242
Wow thank you that's perfect.

Im also starting to encounter a lot about how insects themselves change color due to evolution such as >>3883225

If it's possible I will add scent as another variable. So maybe along with a red circle I will also have rose petals lying there?

>> No.3883284

>>3883255

Don't throw in too many variables.

you should probably use those paint color squares from the home depot.

After that you could probably get like two each of the same color squares, and put some scent on them. (maybe like take two diff flowers and rub one on each square)

that's how I would do it if i were doing that assignment.

>> No.3883286

>>3883255

The only problem I see with your experiment, OP, is that you have no way to standardize the coloring.

If you use construction paper or color areas, there is no way to know that the dyes used and the handling process didn't add some confounding factor.

If you use light, you would have to measure for a temperature difference as the insect may prefer the light source that warms them more on a colder day etc.

The rose idea is pretty good though. Maybe try comparing the scents given off by gymnosperms, wind-driven pollinated plants, and pollinator pollinated plants.

So basically collect pines needles, grass/weeds (preferably flowers), and flowers from plants like sunflowers, roses, etc. and crush them into homogenous mixes of similar color.

Lay them out and see if pollinating insects prefer one of the samples to another.

>> No.3883293

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/insect-color-vision/
>Trichromatic insects, such as honeybees, have three types of pigment receptors, like we humans do. They can distinguish a wider spectrum of colors than bichromatic insects.

So basically I just need to catch a trichromatic insect, and I'm good. So I can use that website as a source, and also the fruit fly study.

last 2 posts also helped me out a lot too. Thanks.

>> No.3883294

Think critically. When do insects even encounter situations where they are tasked with making decisions based on color?

Flowers come to mind. Maybe you should start there. All insects fuck with flowers in some manner at least..