[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 140 KB, 3119x1873, Technocracy flag2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3878135 No.3878135 [Reply] [Original]

The Technocracy is a very odd type of government. It basically declares
>"whoever has the clearest vision, leads"
and I cannot find anything wrong with that.

>> No.3878143
File: 547 KB, 815x416, 1298606297687.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3878138
File: 12 KB, 800x600, Technocracy flag1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878135
Here's the other version of the Technocracy flag.

>> No.3878149

mmkay
and who judges which vision is the clearest?

>> No.3878151

inb4Inur-
Oh wow. Couldn't let me finish.

>> No.3878153

>>3878135

>and I cannot find anything wrong with that

I can. How do you define what the clearest vision is? Is it though simple ease of communication? If there's no quantifiable way to determine this, who is the authority and how exactly does this authority lack power and influence in a system whereby he or she or it literally makes people the authority?

>> No.3878156

>>3878149
The people, I think.
Or the Council.
Basically, if your vision for the future is the most clear, most practical, and most achievable, you win.
You could also stand on a platform of Futurism, witha vision for big things.
Or you could have your platform be about the best way to social or economic reform, again with proven ability of it's plausibility.

>> No.3878160

>>3878156
"We can all be basement-dwelling neckbeards."

Most achievable future, evar.

>> No.3878161

>>3878135
>"whoever has the clearest vision, leads"
Define "clearest vision".
Describe how this person with the "clearest vision" would be objectively determined.

>> No.3878175

>>3878156
>The people
this is called democracy

>Or the Council.
this is called oligarchy

>> No.3878177

>>3878161
>Define "clearest vision"
An already researched plan heavy with citations to reputable authorities on each subject. The plan itself is to be considered by the voters on if it seems like the best course of action or not. The leader who is elected is obligated to follow that plan.
Essentiially, the clearest vision is the one with the most forethought and truest to reality.

>Describe how this person with the "clearest vision" would be objectively determined.
Not the person, it's the plan that's measured. You can't measure a Person objectively. The Person is also a concern, of course.

>> No.3878182

>>3878161
Popular vote, or a ruling council of super-smart people who magically know better than everyone else, that just happen to agree with me.

>> No.3878189

>>3878175
>democracy
>oligarchy
I prefer the idea of only those who are in the mid-bracket of wealth being the popular voters, and the council gets some sort of electoral vote or something.

Can I call the council the Akashic Council? It'd add a level of coolness to it.

>> No.3878202
File: 12 KB, 471x413, OHHHHHH.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878189
>Can I call the council the Akashic Council? It'd add a level of coolness to it.
Well, it DOES sound sort of cool.

>> No.3878208

>inb4 every transhumanist in /sci/ descends upon this thread with a near Adeptus Mechanicus-y like zeal.

>> No.3878214

>>3878202
Speaking of the Council, who would it be comprised of? What fields? What sections of society?
I think it goes without saying that the only ones permitted to run for a seat on the Akashic Council would have to have X years of professional and technical experience in their field first.

>> No.3878216

YO DO YOU GUYS REMEMBER WHEN /SCI/ WAS PLANNING ON MAKING ITS OWN TECHNOCRACY IN SEALAND THAT ONE TIME AND THEN THE OTHER TIME IT IN AFRICA

>> No.3878220

>>3878216
No, I don't. Mind informing me?

>> No.3878227
File: 76 KB, 500x500, 1313912522151.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878216
I don't remember either of those times.

>> No.3878231

>>3878135
The problem is the lack of plausible implementation details.

>> No.3878237

>Having a technocracy would be perfect because science and utopia and stuff

>> No.3878242

>>3878231
>plausible implementation details
'You the whole actually starting up a county' thing?
I figured that it would be founded upon the backs of african slaves, and sustained upon the servoes of robotic slaves.
Because you know, at that point we could let the slaves be proper citizens since the work is being subsidized.

>> No.3878243

>>3878216
theres that place in africa and Tasmania that arent owned by anyone

>> No.3878253

>>3878220
It was a while back so I don't really remember any of the exact details. We were just trying to think of different ways to take over Sealand and turn it into a technocracy and on a different occasion, do the same for this random place in Africa that isn't under any country's control

>> No.3878258
File: 215 KB, 1024x768, seal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878216
>TECHNOCRACY IN SEALAND

>> No.3878256
File: 152 KB, 950x873, tasmaniaTRS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878243
I'm favoring geodesic domes over Western Antarctica instead of Tasmania, Australia just seems to gain power. Shit is going to have to go seriously wrong if we wanted to take land from Australia, I concede that now.

>> No.3878265
File: 118 KB, 1103x390, 1272161952986.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878253
Did /sci/ even exist when there was that thread about Bir Tawil and making it a glorious place to live?

(Yeah, I was there for that too.)

>> No.3878268

>>3878231
>Scientist
Are you related to Mad Scientist?

>> No.3878279

>>3878265
YOU FOOL. NO MORE TECHNOCRACY FOR US.

>> No.3878282

>>3878265
Yeah, /sci/ existed lol

>> No.3878336

Back to the topic on hand: Building the Technocracy

>use slaves to get the manpower to get things started
>Give voting power to anyone above lower-class
>give judicial and electoral power to the Akashic Council
>give executive power to Glorious Leader
>get high tech from the start
>give citizenship to slaves once we get up to speed

What about legislation? Military protection? Immigration enticement?

>> No.3878344

>>3878336
More importantly, how will we keep the Jews from ruining our burgeoning state?

>> No.3878345

>>3878336
would we have breeding regulations?
like, if you believe jesus, 6k y/o earth, 7 days you get no kids or influence on children? or a by IQ thing? maybe mentally disabled not allowed to live in country and physically not allowed to breed but can live?

>> No.3878353
File: 19 KB, 96x96, ergrgh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878336
>use slaves to get the manpower to get things started
>Give voting power to anyone above lower-class
Welp, you've lost me. I'm out of this thread.

>> No.3878352

>>3878345
>would we have breeding regulations?
Yes. Lower class breed less. The greater your wealth or education, the more children you are required to have.
However, the Lower class get negative income tax.

>> No.3878358
File: 4 KB, 900x563, na_flag_v29_07_11_by_thenorthernalliance-d41yw0z.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, is this gonna be a vexillology thread or what?

>> No.3878368

>>3878353
Inurdaes, the problem with getting any high-brow idea into reality is that the lower class are too busy living their more shitty lives and doing things to care about anything else than what will directly benefit them. Remove that influence, and things become a lot more sensible in term of governance and politics... somewhat.
Also, I'm just saying slave labor because face it, we'll need the manpower for the first decade or so,a nd we will NOT have the funding for it. They will be treated not harshly, and will be granted all necessities, but will be controlled. The good kind of slavery.

>> No.3878376

>>3878368

>The good kind of slavery.

Yeah, that doesn't exist. Enjoy being a dickhead.

>> No.3878378 [DELETED] 

>>3878345

Just fucking fuck off and never say this kind of shit again you little faggot.

>> No.3878380
File: 72 KB, 429x410, 1303752342229.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878368
>doesn't wait until a much higher percentage of jobs can be automated far more easily

Not interested, you will not be able to establish enough support/funds to do it otherwise, and who on earth is going to sit back and twiddle their thumbs while mini-Stalin enslaves tens of thousands if not more people to build his utopia?

You wish to build a better society, but you wish to make the foundations out of blood and pain. I cannot accept that.

>> No.3878381

>>3878376
Really? You've never heard of a healthy master-servant relationship?

>> No.3878382
File: 6 KB, 600x360, British_East_India_Company_(1707).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878376
meh

>> No.3878386

>>3878381
Only in BDSM fan fiction

>> No.3878390
File: 18 KB, 450x300, rope.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878386

>> No.3878392

>>3878380
> foundations out of blood and pain.
Life IS blood and pain. Suffering is what allows growth.

Also, YOu are thinking of ye old-tyme slavery, where they didn''t have the infrastructure to take care of them properly.
WE DO.
Plumbing, medical care, fresh water, education, central heating.
Just they won't get paid.

>> No.3878396

>>3878386
A Healthy master-servant relationship is when you have a wealthier master recognize the humanity of his servant, and thus treat him with dignity, and so the servant responds with respect and loyalty.
Bam.

>> No.3878426

>>3878396
I don't think it's possible by definition to treat a slave with dignity.

>> No.3878435

>>3878426
So maybe Indentured Servant would be better?
I was going by the Roman Christian idea of Slavery.

>> No.3878466

You can find slaves.
I have two of them.
I'm not sexually interested in them, but they have no purpose in life, and when I tell them that they can make a real difference, more than just having a job working for a company, they become eager to join me.
I have no task to assign them and no way to transport them, but I'm sure that if I had a bit of money and better plans, I could get them to work for free, provided they received shelter, food, off time and didn't get beaten.

>> No.3878507

>>3878466
Precisely.
There are many people int he world who simply want a purpose, to be used for something greater than survival or sex.
It would be criminal not to fulfill the basic philosophy of the Technocracy by ignoring this fact.

>the philosophy I am alluding to is the idea of human potential and growth

BTW, where did you find them?

>> No.3878543

>>3878507
4chan. None of them live near me, but they both have expressed interest in helping me and the TRS.
Perhaps I'm just a charismatic person, but I'm not really a dominant type of person, so I'm not sure why they like me so much.
I figure if I can use them to make the world better, I will.
7 billion people. Not all of us are worth something. Not everyone can be useful. That's why there are fewer jobs. Too many people and nothing to do.

But this project will change the world and people want a purpose.
People are beginning to lose faith in money and want something more substantial, such as a feeling of unity and use.
Religion is becoming obsolete, so it makes sense that they want to become part of the future.

Is what I'm saying making sense? It's very late here...

>> No.3878563

>>3878543
No, it makes perfect sense.
People were meant to live. Read up anything on neurochemistry and you'll find that the brain becomes depressed and sort of degrades when it's not doing things or experiencing new things.
More importantly, Humans are unique in that they ahve what is colloquially refrerred to as a "will to live"
If a human being does not have any desire to live, it's brain shuts down the body and dies.

All this depression in the successful nations is the desire for death creeping into our psyche to replace the rapidly dwindling sense of purpose to live.

>> No.3878597

most people on earth live in real shitty condition with shit pay, im sure you would find a lot of people willing to work for you under good condition, housing, food, entertainment, disease free sexual activity and respect.
Start searching in Swaziland.

>> No.3878667

>>3878563
It is true.
Did you know babies will die if not hugged and loved? Even with adequate nutrition, they will die.
People NEED other people, and even though an individualistic society helps stronger, smarter people, it also forces them to depend on only themselves which can lead to severe errors in cognition and personality. Most people cannot function without someone else telling them what to do, right?
I figure most people are simply stupid apes who appear intelligent because they learned to speak because they were forced to, who learned to read and write because it is mandatory to learn in school, people who's only knowledge of science and history come from what school made them learn... I mean, people HATE learning and research.
I don't even know where I'm going with this, but if you want a happy society, you can either go with religion, which causes war and death and lies, or a technocracy consisting of several billion people, all well fed due to advanced farming techniques and all with homes, because with proper planning, you can fit lots of people into a small area and still have them happy. This can be done with "slavery" although we will need to invent a better word because of the connotations the word 'slavery' has. People need a guide, and I would prefer a smart, helpful guide that isn't insistent on believing in false things, such as what politicians say, what companies advertise (Fruit and Cream oatmeal has no real fruit or real cream in it), what religions say, what other people say, and what you are taught in (current) schools.

I still have no idea what I'm writing though. I'm so tired...
Anyways, we CAN have a better society, but it will take a LOT of hard work, but we won't have to do any of it cause we'll have slaves. The end.

>> No.3878707

>>3878667
>but we won't have to do any of it cause we'll have slaves.
Yup, because there are plenty of (non american) people out there who want to be 'slaves' just do be doing something and be able to live in peace.

>No Americans because holy fuck we are ADDICTED to the illusion of money.

>> No.3878744

>>3878707
A lot of this stuff will require educated people.
Not americans, but people who know science and can read.
Right? Or will there be enough smart people to ...
Or what if each smart person (smart as in, skilled enough to lead and create a better world, not just business smart or book smart) had a shadow who followed him and did what he said?
A personal slave that is directed to do pretty much anything, provided it meets ethical guidelines.
...This is a stupid idea, but I'm not deleting it just because I want to hear comments on it.

Either way, slavery in it's known form is wrong and disgusting. Beating or treating a slave cruelly is terrible and cannot be allowed.
I'm afraid that it might turn out like the Stanford Prison Experiment, actually.
It really depends on how smart you are. Are you above an animal? Can you truly think of original ideas? Or are you subconsciously controlled by what other people have taught you? Are you just imitating smart behavior because it makes you *feel* better than being average?

>> No.3878860
File: 2.32 MB, 1920x1200, minecraft ubertree.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878744
...Ok, it took me a little while to parse your brain-thoughts, and I got the answer.

>we need more smart, educated professionals to make this work as a proper Technocracy
Not too much of a problem. As long as we have a good source of funds and open arms we can pull in plenty of educated folk, though the high end profs will be uncommon at first.

>Personal servants for each visionary?
Yes. This is an excellent way to set up a good example for the future of this society. I'm thnking they would have a bodyguard servant, a personal servant, a few 'intern' servants to assist them in research, and maybe others.

In fact, this sort of setup would work well as an Apprentice system for the lower class to move up by working with and under the upper class in a personal setting, as it also provides excellent references and experience.

>Stanford Prison Experiment
That was purposeful dehumanizing of the victims. With our setup we will be humanizing the servants and improving the relations between classes through the direct servants.

>slaver in it's known form is wrongbad
Yup. I'm still thinking though...
The initial immigrants into society would be life 'servants', their children would be indentured workers for the majority of their years, and the third generation and beyond gets the oppurtunity opened to leave the peaceful servant lifestyle and seek further education and training, maybe start his own business or become a renowned researcher on his own.

>> No.3881197

bump

>> No.3881367
File: 15 KB, 477x317, peltier cells cooling.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3878860
While I'm keeping in mind that these immigrant indentured workers will probably just be glad to have the necessities for life to have their safety and peace assured, I'm having some difficulty figuring out a way to keep indentured workers motivated.
Thus far the only ideas I've come up with is to keep workers in cohesive teams to encourage brotherhood, grant workers the right to request to be moved to other sectors or teams or projects, allow for free days off, festival days, good food, and the right to make their marks on completed projects they take part in.
I'm considering allowing workers who manage to complete their projects faster may be granted freedom during the rest of the originally allotted amount of days for that project, unless they are needed elsewhere.
I know that using bribes to motivate is counter to human cooperation, so that's right out.

>> No.3881378

>>3878135
conflicting opinions. accountability. all run against arguments for technocracy

>> No.3881388

Idealistic but highly naive. Not every problem is a scientific one. Not every problem has a well defined formula to reach the solution. A lot of it depends on context and perspective. Technocrats seem to be blind of their own personal biases.

Our solutions to wide scale societal problems like crime and poverty can be informed by technical experts, but to put these people in ultimate control would only be due to idealist ignorance.

also,dismissing technocratic rule is not because we can't solve problems scientifically. Technically it's impossible not to. I'm sure there is formula for everything. But the issue is not the formula. It's that we don't know if we 're accounting for all the variables and much like astronomers trying to calculate the odds of life in the galaxy, we don't know any of the values of most of the variables. So it's not that we can't solve them scientifically, it's that we can't right now and perhaps due to the nature of unforeseen, unintended consequences that go hand in hand with every solution, we may never be able to.

experts can inform but not have sole responsibility for making decisions

>> No.3881483

>>3881388
That's why we're discussing this right now, before we meet in office.
Work out the kinks in the system, then we can successfully apply it.

>> No.3881496

>>3881388
>Our solutions to wide scale societal problems like crime and poverty can be informed by technical experts, but to put these people in ultimate control would only be due to idealist ignorance.
>experts can inform but not have sole responsibility for making decisions
I agree. Perhaps that would be why the Council would also include the usual collection of cabinet members as well.
Besides, part of the Technocracy is that it's a constitutional monarchy, granting one main leader the executive power needed to get shit done.

>> No.3883091

>>3881496
bump

>> No.3883797

>>3883091
bump

>> No.3884746

>>3883797
bump

>> No.3884795

>>3878135
You know, if you read a few national constitutions, you'd realize that a representative democracy can be very efficient, at least in theory.

Now that we have pretty good communication technologies, it would be technically possible to implement a direct democracy.

>> No.3885897

>>3884795
Thing about a Direct Democracy is that you have to assume that every citizen is fully knowledgeable about the issues on hand.

Although I do rather like the idea of modern direct democracy. In the US you could just use the drivers license number to validate your vote, since each one is unique.

>> No.3885917

>>3885897
The problem with a direct democracy is mob rule. It's also too easy to corrupt. Threaten people to vote a certain way, buy votes, etc...

>> No.3885935

>>3885917
Which is why I wanted the lower, socialistic lass to not have voting power. They're too busy working/living to worry about the stuff higher up, and would be too easily mob-like anyways.
Besides, they'd already have everything basic provided for them, so there's little for them to worry about anyways.

>> No.3885953

>>3885917
every system is piss easy to corrupt. you can't use tendency for corruption as a counterargument against any one in particular.

>> No.3886032

>>3885935
Perhaps also rule out the absurdly wealthy? The lower to higher middle class would probably be the best to lend your ear to. The poor are more likely to be distracted by day to day living and just getting by, and the rich are likely to act on their own goals and greed than the good of a society. Both factors are also true, albeit to lesser degree of the middle class, and are not universal among the poor and rich, but I think they'd become less of a factor.

That also points to a problem I perceive in all political systems, that they depend on, for success, a kind of social-altruism, that most people do not seem to have the capacity for. I may just be blind to it, but I believe I have it. I favor anything that elevates us as a society, even at my own personal expense (within reason), why? Well, because... The quote "a rising tide lifts all boats" is probably appropriate here. If humanity benefits, being a part of humanity, I benefit, and unless it comes at extreme personal cost, I see it as worthwhile if it's a net positive for our people.

I think the same way with many things/organizations/strategies, but I find that perspective to be rare. Self-absorption and selfishness are toxic to progress in my opinion, and it's an affliction that effects far too many of our people, at home and abroad.

>> No.3886077
File: 39 KB, 467x427, trollface_implying.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The plan itself is to be considered by the voters on if it seems like the best course of action or not. The leader who is elected is obligated to follow that plan.

idk, sounds kinda like democracy

>> No.3886120

>>3886077
Well, Duh.
The purpose of a Technocracy is to have a country whose focus is on technological advancement. It says nothing about the method of government.
There will be a need for something like democracy and a monarchy combined, though, so that there is a measure of political cohesiveness.

>> No.3886163

The US is part technocracy, but that doesnt mean its good. I mean, whenever something astounding is created and a break through new discovery the first place it goes is the military and almost never let it out for public use. People fail to realize what a feat even a touch screen cell phone is. With neodymium magnets and rare metals inside them but, people will just say "oh, this is old" and through it out for the next slightly more advanced thing to make a profit off of.

>> No.3886180

>>3886120

usually technocracy on /sci/ means dictatorship of a specially chosen scientific "elite".

when you say monarchy, i hope you don't mean hereditary positions...

>> No.3886186

>>3886180
No, that's more of a Dynasty.

>> No.3886202

>whoever has the most political capital, leads*
This is what it always boils down to. Enjoy your delusions.

>> No.3886225

>>3886202
>whoever has the most political capital
Yup. There is one way to possibly counter this though:
First, disallow the easily fooled lower class from voting.
Second, have required transparency on all corporate and political expendature.
Third, have some sort of 'real politik' and poly-sci classes part of the middle class's education to keep them from being politically stupid with their votes.

>> No.3886255

>>3886225
We also need to propagandize the virtues of the Technocracy. If we can get the people thinking in terms of an optimistic future, that should help keep the political climate in the right direction.
Also Patience, we need some way to mold the culture into a patient culture.
...Mandatory yoga?

>> No.3886367

>Technocracy
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=005khBgTkas

>> No.3886667

>>3886225

so you're going to give people different schooling based on the socioeconomic position of their parents?

Whatever happened to social mobility?
And i suppose you think such treatment of the lower classes will increase their cooperativeness with society, rather than destroying it?

Worst of all, you somehow seem to think middle class people aren't as easily manipulated as lower class people.

If you're honestly of college age then: fuck. Mind me asking what subjects you do? Also your race?

>> No.3886680

>>3886667
>Whatever happened to social mobility?
I derped.Looks like I've reached the limit of my understanding on the subject of social formation.

>If you're honestly of college age then: fuck. Mind me asking what subjects you do? Also your race?
College age, not in college. Waste of money. American, Caucasian.

>> No.3886703

>>3886255

>Also Patience, we need some way to mold the culture into a patient culture.

Siestas!

Actually how about mandating quiet, safe rest areas at all places of work to allow for an Uberman sleep schedule?

>> No.3886728
File: 30 KB, 592x419, uberman sleep.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3886703
>Uberman sleep schedule
You mean pic related?

>> No.3886747

>>3886728
>Oh fuck I hate REM so much muscular atrophy here I come