[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 38 KB, 525x294, oh_you_are_looking_at_the_file_name.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3868656 No.3868656 [Reply] [Original]

Hey there /Sci/ I was wondering,
is there any jobs in the science industry that
an idiot like myself could do?
I want to assist the science industry in any way but I don't think ill have high enough grades to be accepted for most jobs if any

so I was wondering what jobs in science can someone like me be applied to do

>> No.3868661

You could clean the floors or man the canteen at CERN.

>> No.3868665

Even DARPA needs janitors.

>> No.3868666

>>3868661
thanks as silly as this sounds i really appreciate your feedback

>> No.3868668

Lab technician. The training is very practical. Pretty much pipetting etc

>> No.3868669

>>3868668
cool thanks ill look into it

>> No.3868671

>>3868668
I second this. Having a good lab tech is essential.

>> No.3868673

>>3868671
ok sounds good
also i appreciate you guys not being total dicks about this too

>> No.3868676

>>3868671
>implying self-proclaimed idiots can be good lab techs

>> No.3868677

>is there any jobs in the science industry that an idiot like myself could do?
Anything related to biology.
Seriously though there are plenty of jobs like lab-assistant/technicians that doesn't require a degree, the pay isn't bad either, you still need moderately good scores in science and math though so keep trying to improve your skills.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not from the US so I don't know if it works differently over there (in terms of getting science related jobs straight out of high-school).

>> No.3868683

>>3868666
Well, I was only half joking. There are plenty of positions at CERN that don't require you to know science. Besides the already mentioned janitorial or mess-hall positions, there are also people driving the internal bus service, or receptionists at the foyer, security personnel and museum guards.

And, hey, you could say that you work at the world's largest particle research institution!

>> No.3868685

>>3868676

If you can follow a protocol you can do most wet lab "grunt work". You don't need a PhD to fill 96-well plates or to make bacterial cultures.

Once a protocol is established in any lab that has at least half decent funding, the routine work is delegated to lab techs who had a technical/practical training.

Sometimes lab techs even produce better results, since they only concentrate on doing the work without having to think about what they are doing.

>> No.3868690

Definitely laboratory technician or engineer. Those people are the only thing standing between researchers and insanity through burnout.

The world needs more lab techs.

>> No.3868692

>>3868683
>>3868677
>>3868685
>>3868690
many thanks once again
i wasn't expecting serious answers at all
sounds like a good job to me
thanks guys

>> No.3868693

>>3868690engineer
And thus, the trolling begins...

>> No.3868703

>>3868693
Sorry about that, but around these parts of the world an engineering as an advanced vocational degree and an engineer with a university diploma are two completely different things. The former are mostly like senior technicians and the latter are basically applied science majors.

I have no idea what level of education the word implies in English speaking countries but around here engineers are the people we hire to look after complicated laboratory equipment.

>> No.3868710

>>3868685
I agree with most of that, but in practice lab techs do more than just follow pre-written protocols. They're not lab oompa-loompas and they will be expected to understand what they're doing and be able to adapt protocols as necessary.

It probably varies from place to place, but most lab techs I've seen have at least a bachelor's degree and often know their shit better than first year PhD students. You don't just walk in and say "hey, I'd like to be a lab tech, show me some protocols and I'll start working".

>> No.3868728

>>3868710

Well, I guess there are differences between countries. But in the lab I work we have 6 lab technicians and none of them have done university or any for of higher education. They followed an additional technical education after high school.

You have to be certified (eg safety protocols), but there are no science requirements.

>> No.3868732

>>3868728
if it makes any difference im Australian