[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 9 KB, 165x234, Phineas_gage_-_1868_skull_diagram.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3862729 No.3862729 [Reply] [Original]

Hello, /sci/. Would you mind helping me choose my major?

I'm good at pretty much everything, but I'm not outstanding at anything either. I like everything that's not geography, from english to physics. I have two days to decide, but I can't do it. My main choices are Psychology and CS. Just talk about careers I guess. (Oh, I'm 18, even though I'm a high schooler, so don't worry about this)

>> No.3862746

>>3862729

>My main choices are Psychology and CS.

do Psychology, and CS .

>> No.3862764

Whatever you do dont pick psychology.

There is a huge surplus of people in psychology. Its an easy choice for people who dont know what they want to do but want to remain interesting.

>> No.3862767

>>3862746
I've heard people say that Psychology is a pseudo-science and that CS is just a bunch of shit you'll never need in real work. I'm afraid of wasting my time studying shit.

>> No.3862775

>>3862764
THIS
Psych major is that major that's "interesting", but generally useless. Furthermore, there are so many psych majors and so few job opportunities for them.

>> No.3862777

>>3862764
>people who dont know what they want to do but want to remain interesting.
That fits me quite well. What would you suggest, them?

>> No.3862783

>I have two days to decide, but I can't do it.
>(Oh, I'm 18, even though I'm a high schooler, so don't worry about this)
wat.

can't you usually wait until your Junior year to declare a major? granted, for some tracks (hard sciences, engineering) you want to get started ASAP.

>> No.3862789

>>3862777

Sociology.

No Im just kidding. I dont know. I am just saying if you get into psychology you might end up with an unmarketable degree.

>> No.3862798

When in doubt, major in physics.

>> No.3862799

>>3862783
I'm not American. In my country, we're forced to choose it after high school, unless we're doing engineering, and I'm not. Perhaps I should take that as a compliment for my good English?

>> No.3862812

>>3862798
My uncle is a physics major, and he says it was very hard, with calculus and stuff. He was always more of a CS guy though (nowadays he works with programming) so maybe it was just not his thing.

>> No.3862828

>>3862812
My personal and very biased opinion is to declare for a BS in mathematics. That will give you the most generically solid foundation upon which to switch to any other STEM major when you make up your mind for real.

Assuming you can change your major in a year or two should circumstances warrant.

>> No.3862854

>>3862828
Thanks for the input. I'm going to think this thoroughly today, now that my main choices are math, physics and CS.

>> No.3862859

word to the wise

I've spoken with many of my fellow science graduates (physics, chemistry, math, etc) and basically the rule of thumb is that you either end up in a lab, teaching high school, or grad school. Just putting it out there

>> No.3862862

Quantum cryptozoology!!

(if you graduate you can become a writer for the Enterprise remake/re-imagined movie made by JJ Abrajohnsonhan(d)'s bastard clone child, due out in 20 years when the bar for nostalgia's been finally set really, really low.)

>> No.3862866

>>3862859
Fuck. I'd rather lock myself on a lab than ever coming near a school again, but what if I lose that job and end up being forced to teach? Meh, maybe CS is the best choice.

>> No.3862867
File: 25 KB, 242x257, wizard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I'm good at pretty much everything, but I'm not outstanding at anything either.
Way to describe every entry level science university student.

Here's a piece of advice from a very wise old wizard who once helped me find my way:
>Finding a path in life is always hard, because it's something that will hopefully stick with you until you're dead.
>There are two known strategies... The first is to pick something that moves you in ways nothing else does. Have you ever spent half a night being bothered by a problem or issue? Pick a discipline that incorporates your biggest fears or desires, you can't go wrong.
>The other strategy is in case you don't have something that moves you in such a way. In this case, you pick something you can easily get out of, and always have an exit strategy. In this way, whatever discipline you pick, you'll always be able to change it quickly, a lifetime of trial and error.

OK I suck at paraphrasing, you get the point.

>> No.3862872

Psychology degree will not get you a job. Psych majors have _no_ practical skills, their education is all theory and statistics. And what I mean by practical skills is being able to conduct psychoanalysis, therapy, assess someone and so forth. You will need to spend at least 2-3 years in mentoring before you can actually do any of that.

Only choose psychology if you're passionate about it.

>> No.3862873

>>3862729

Take a bunch of courses, see what you like, decide next year

most sciences have the same first year setup anyway, just take a lot of math and you can do anything you want in this world.

and 300k starting, dont forget

>> No.3862874

CS is best. It's like being a math major except you can use your math for relevant things.

>> No.3862878

>>3862873

You can literally get into any Grad program as a math major, thats the funny thing.

Psych? They'd love you, you could actually do statistics and interpret data properly.

Sciences? Yes any science, doesn't matter which one it is. chem, bio, a math major with good gpa can get into anything

The only thing that would be sketchy would be English...they are pretty anal over your literature skills...and dont care about math and would probably hate you

>> No.3862879

>>3862874
>CS is best. It's like being a math major

HAHAHAHAH
No.

>> No.3862884

>>3862866

also don't knock psych. keep in mind that asking /sci/ about social sciences is like asking stormfront about blacks.

>> No.3862894

>>3862767
I've heard people say that Psychology is a pseudo-science.
oh. they're wrong, there are many fields of psychology that involve the scientific method and conduct a great deal of scientific research.

>and that CS is just a bunch of shit you'll never need in real work.
there are many jobs in which knowledge of computer science is useful.

if you're looking for the MOST lucrative major, well yeah, it probably isn't either of the above, but don't deny they have practical, useful applications

>> No.3862897

>>3862894
>I've heard people say that Psychology is a pseudo-science.
They're mostly correct, at least about psychologys applied form, psychiatry.

>> No.3862900

OP here. I think I'll end up more confused than I was at first. Well, let's see...
Psychology
CS
Physics
Math
Chemistry (maybe)
Which one of these would give me the most job opportunities? The rest I will try to figure out. I really like math, but then it's not like I hate physics either, and psychology looks very interesting...

>> No.3862903

>>3862900
math

>> No.3862909

>>3862897
how is psychiatry a pseudo-science?

>> No.3862911

>>3862729
CS = Cubicle Slave.

Enjoy the rest of your life in a cubicle staring at screen for 10hrs and managers that will stop at nothing to make you miserable.

If you're not ready for this then don't waist your time with CS.

>> No.3862914

>>3862900

math gives best job opportunities. It branches out into every field in science, and into the business/financial sector as well.

if you ever want to do a particular masters in science, you can do it if you have a math undergrad.

the best way to keep all your options open and have good career options is to major in math, and then minor in what you find interesting (psych or chem or whatever)...

>> No.3862918

>>3862900

Finance. If you're going to sell yourself out might as well go all the way

And don't listen to the LOL MATH MAJOR BEST MAJOR fags, unless you want to physics the highest level math you need at best if differential equations.

>> No.3862919

>>3862909
How is it not?

It's based entirely on arbitrary definitions (DSM)

>> No.3862924

Don't do psych. I was at the same place you were, and I chose psychology. Now I get paid 12 bucks an hour to get shit thrown at me by fucked up kids with druggie parents who abandoned them. The field is run by women, so if you're a guy, you can't make it past the mental health worker stage, which is shit. Best bet is to get your PhD, which is a shitload of work, and doesn't pay great. My brother got into CS, is making bank right out of college. Don't do psychology. Programming is tough, but it beats low pay and physical abuse.

>> No.3862928

>>3862924
>The field is run by women
This
They will literally not let you advance

Somehow everyone thought I was a statutory rapist because I had a penis

>> No.3862929

>>3862729

military history.

i write for the videogame industry -- w00t!

>> No.3862933

>>3862918
>Finance

Good thing Financial industries hire more Math undergrads than Finance undergrads....

anything a finance undergrad can do a math guy can do better...and dont even think about the masters/phd level, Finance is shit and Math trumps it all day.

A finance degree not only is super specific, but it isn't even that practical in terms of career options, you still have to do some designation afterwards like a CFA or FRM or accounting, actuary, etc...it takes time and is a pain in the ass.

Go math if you want the best options and it actually prepares you for all sorts of work.

>> No.3862941

Best career options? Math.
Best grad school options and variety? Math.
Most reputable, people think you're a genius? Math.

Most fun? Subjective...but probably math.

>> No.3862944

>>3862933

>Math undergrads than Finance undergrads

Proof? No seriously I want to see verification of this.

>> No.3862946 [DELETED] 
File: 223 KB, 640x429, 1317764210616.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3862933
>mfw I graduated with a Mathematics degree
>mfw I get emails for Masters in Mathematical Finance.

Feels pretty damn good.

>> No.3862960

>>3862928
Yeah. I've been with the same agency for 5 years. They won't promote me because I have a penis. I'm leaving for IT work. I just feel like I'm betraying the clients, as by and large, they're just kids that have been fucked over by their parents. I work well with them, connect with them, and am able to be a good counselor. But in the end, shit. I need to pay rent, and I can't. Also, in mental health, the female bosses will do everything in their power to make your lives hell, if you are a guy. Pray you have a male manager- they are rare, but worthwhile, as they aren't passive aggressive bitches.

OP, just do computer science. Stay the fuck away from psych. It's run by psychobitches and you get shit thrown at you by poor people's kids, who are spending shitloads of state funds being crazy, and you are getting a small percentage of for doing 98% of the work.

>> No.3862968

>>3862944

umm do a simple job search in finance careers....

anything slightly quantitative, analytic will favor math over finance.

if it is simply a management, sales type job then it doesn't matter, you could have a philosophy degree....

at the masters level it becomes painfully obvious that all they want are math, physics, stats, and cs majors, and couldn't care less about finance majors.

http://www.wilmott.com/categories.cfm?catid=5

>> No.3862977 [DELETED] 

>>3862928

>Mfw I want to be a psychologist
>Mfw if any bitch discriminates against me I'll bash their skull in with a text book

>> No.3862976

>>3862968

>many of the jobs include finance along with your analytic majors along with several years of experience required
>jobs that don't require are glorified programming jobs

Let me guess,
>any job you want
>300K starting

>> No.3862994

>I'm good at pretty much everything, but I'm not outstanding at anything either.

Philosophy.
I'll be expecting you in Starbucks by the next 4 years.

Also, key advice:
>PhD in Math
>Any job you want
>300k and starting

>> No.3862997

>chemical engineering
>4-5 years of school
>60-70k to start, 90k or more if you are at the top of your class
>100k+ within 5 years

>> No.3863000

>>3862994

you mean

>phd in math
>any community college you want
>80K if you're lucky

>> No.3863004

>>3862997
dont forget

>engineering
>being a homosexual

>> No.3863012

>>3863004

dont forget

>graduate level sciences
>feeding your family with dreams and ideals

>> No.3863021

>>3863012

while we're at it
>university
>giant scam

>> No.3863030

advice from a chemfag:
if you want to pursue it as a career, grad school is a must. if you stop at a bachelor's, the ACS will cease to consider you a chemist after six years of work. meaning you'll be forced to end up teaching high school or an our of field job.

usually people who want do to chem for a living go straight into their doctorate after their undergrad. as far as salary, you can break 100k/yr as a phd chemist. it just takes longer than other career paths.

>> No.3863061

OP, choose CS. Why? cause with a CS major you don't have doors shut to you like you do psychology. Everyone needs a CS major for their research. For undergraduate psychology research, you don't need a ton of psych courses to pursue research.

I'm a CS major with no psychology background in a psychology Ph.D. I doubt they'd accept psychology students to a CS Ph.D as often

>> No.3863082

op, are you me?

i was thinking either comp sec (ie, reverse engineering malware and shit)
or
physics

both are rather math centric

>> No.3863094

>>3863082

>implying he shouldn't major in math and just learn programming on his own like any normal human