[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 8 KB, 251x226, hey-listen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3837693 No.3837693 [Reply] [Original]

Do any britfags on /sci/ have good advice for writing a personal statement to get onto a course at a good university

inb4 go to /adv/ as its full of faggotry

>> No.3837701 [DELETED] 

don't make it too long
any tl;dr personal statements just piss off the selection comitee.
have it fairly brief, and to the point. and dont lie eitehr, as these always come out in the interviews.

>> No.3837705

>>3837701
>eitehr

Nice proof reading, retard.

>Just kidding. Love you EK.

>> No.3837715
File: 31 KB, 345x276, 1270818005180.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3837705
Anon has a girlfriend!

>> No.3837739

Its been some time since I wrote mine Anon, but I'd recommend doing a little background reading about your chosen subject, if you haven't already.

In essence, admissions officers like to know that you are a real person who has some idea about what is happening within your discipline, to add to that, a little idiosyncracy doesn't hurt. After all, you can only read so many people grinding on about the same regurgitated crap before you just start filing them under B (for bin).

>> No.3837764

>>3837693

Yea I'm doing my PS at the moment. Tips I've heard are:

make sure at least 2/3 is relevant to the subject you want to do.
Don't use cliche lines and try to avoid saying that it's 'interesting' or 'fascinating' (find better words)
It should be 4000 characters or 47 lines.
Write in short precise sentences rather than over complex sentences.
Give examples to every point you make.

hope that's helpful. I would recommend reading a book related to your subject and possibly to do work exp. related as well.

>> No.3837782

Mention a book or two that talk about the sort of things you might learn in your subject at a university level (would be fine even if they are more popular orientated than technical).
And make sure you actually read them if you get asked to do an interview.

>> No.3837849

>>3837782
don't mention books, when i did mine the school gave us good and bad examples. the ones that mentioned books always sounded faggy.

honestly just be straight forward, they want to know why you want do to it, what have you done to prepare (doesn't have to be much), proof you're not a boring wanker with no hobbies and what you may want to do after. everything else is just wank they don't want to read.

honestly the reference is far, far more important so go the you're relevant (or one you like) teacher and beg, literally beg for an ass kissing reference. i know for a fact the university never even read my personal statement but my teacher (who was the chief examined for the subject) did say "rare to see a student of such ability" and "wonderful relaxed manor" which my chemistry teacher called "laziness", she wrote this before she realized a was a workless sod but my gain.

honestly keep it short, no wank and get a golden reference.

ps. leave any sob stories out of it