[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 144 KB, 648x597, cscads01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3823638 No.3823638 [Reply] [Original]

Sup sci.

I'm a PhD student in engineering facing general exams in January, on the topics of fluid mechanics and applied mathematics. For those unfamiliar, general examinations (at my university) consist of three brilliant tenured professors behind closed doors asking you questions which you discuss and answer on a board. These are meant to be very very comprehensive and difficult. Every professors has been through this ordeal, and they have every intention of making certain that you can be considered nothing short of an expert in the field. This is not a "oh I kinda bombed the exam and got a C" kind of event. If you fail, you are kicked out of the program and you will never be called "Dr." If you pass, you keep going on in your education.

>> No.3823659

ok.

have fun.

>> No.3823661
File: 54 KB, 500x500, 51ABY15P1DL._SS500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm here today to see if we have anyone here interesting in joining me 3 months of very intense study in applied mathematics. Topics covered will include ODEs, PDEs, Fourier and Laplace transforms, conformal mapping, complex calculus, linear algebra, and more. A sample reading list:

L. Debnath & PR Mikusinski, Introduction to Hilbert Spaces with Applications
RA Horn & CR Johnson, Matrix Analysis
M. Greenberg, Foundations of Applied Mathematics
IS Sokolniroff & RM Redheffer, Mathematics of Physics & Modern Engineering

If interested, I'll provide very detailed course notes, which can be easily supplemented by wikipedia and ebooks.

What I propose is a weekly meeting on a chosen topic in applied math where we challenge each other with pertinent questions. We'll be like workout buddies, except instead of striving for good abs, we will become BAMFs capable of tackling any intellectual challenge thrown at us.

This will not be easy, but I give you my word that if you study this with me, you will be a god among boys in your chosen field of study. Advanced undergraduates looking at grad school in physics/math/engineering, you seriously *need* to do this.

Please leave contact info if you're interested. We can chat about the details.

>> No.3823666

You want a medal or something?

Fucking tripfag

>> No.3823671

>>3823661
no thanks.

>> No.3823676

>>3823666
No I don't want a fucking medal. I'm scared out of my mind because I'm in over my head, staring into the most daunting intellectual challenge one can face in academia.

But I have no desire to be some stoned /sci/fag posting pictures of Carl Sagan. I, and people like me, have an incredible opportunity to learn, and I'm not going to squander it.

>> No.3823685

>>3823676
Through what medium do you intend to conduct study?

>> No.3823696

>>3823685
I'm open to suggestions. For fluid mechanics, I'm studying with a RL group where we meet in a classroom and do problems on a board, which obviously we can't do here.

Chat room, gotomeetings, web cams, emails, private wikis, something like that. We can hash out the details if there's interest.

>> No.3823707

>>3823661
Kind of a questionable list of books. What book are you using for fluids?

What university?

>> No.3823713

>>3823707
To follow up on my comment, oral exams aren't quite the "most daunting intellectual challenge one can face in academia." Stuff like that sounds pretentious.

>> No.3823715

Consider like my own personal motivational poster to sci. Looking at the threads here, I see:

- embarrassingly simple homework question that the kid should do his damn self.
- a stupid faux-philosophical statement about time travel
- some guy that thinks he knows a famous experiment better than the world's great physicists
- ignorant thread on chinese space policy
- "coolest university name"
- a fundamental misunderstanding of chemistry
- basic arithmetic troll

is that what you want to be like, sci?

>> No.3823719

germanfag op?

i know a german dude doing physics who's done this. he said it wasn't too bad, he got full marks for a couple of them.

chill

>> No.3823724

>>3823707
What's questionable about the list of books? That's not exactly a hard set list, as the topics take parts out of each. I'm not looking at this like a "read this entire book" kind of thing, but rather getting a fundamental grasp on the most important topics. I'm happy to be more detailed about the material off-sci.

For fluids, books like liepmann/roshko, batchelor, davidson's turbulence book, some CFD stuff. I'm happy to study fluids with /sci/s as well, that just happens to be something I have a better grasp on.

University: I'll say off-sci. But it's a good one, and they take this stuff seriously.

>> No.3823737

>>3823713
>oral exams aren't quite the "most daunting intellectual challenge one can face in academia." Stuff like that sounds pretentious.

I was being a bit overly dramatic to drum up interest, but i'm assuming you've never taking generals. Ask a professor that you respect about their general exam experience.

Let's say that it's definitely the most daunting thing faced by a PhD student up till that point in their lives. Plus the very real issue that failure means you get kicked out.

>> No.3823740

>>3823724
Maybe not questionable, that might have been an inappropriate word. It's just not a list I would think of for studying the required subjects.

A fake email account is set up on this post, I'm curious about the uni.

>> No.3823742

>>3823737
Also, I'm a fourth year applied math PhD student, and I just did my thesis proposal on Monday.

>> No.3823747

>>3823719
>germanfag op?
American, but the exams are structured very similar to the European.

>i know a german dude doing physics who's done this. he said it wasn't too bad, he got full marks for a couple of them.
PhD level? Yes, these things aren't "too bad" when you come prepared. If I had to take it today, I'd fail miserably. I want my general exams to go smooth like butter, so I have to prepare.

>> No.3823752
File: 186 KB, 1031x667, delete.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey OP, you know anything about computational fluid dynamics? im doing an assignment right now and hit a wall.

so I'm using FLUENT, and I think my problem is im not sure which viscous flow model to use - there's a whole bunch of them. at the moment i've settled on the SST k-omega model. im also not sure about the turbulence specification method, atm going with intensity and hydraulic diamter (kind of guessing values).

anyway, for this situation Re=20000 so the flow should definitely be turblent after the pipe, but all im getting is this bullshit. it almost looks laminar over the upper pipe

fuck this shit, give me structural analysis anyday. i swear no one actually knows how the fuck fluids work

pic related

>> No.3823753

>>3823742
>Also, I'm a fourth year applied math PhD student, and I just did my thesis proposal on Monday.

Awesome, congrats. You'd make a fine tutor for me.

Honestly I will not be using those texts as primary study material.

Gmail chat request sent.

>> No.3823764

>>3823753
Oh, since you go there, I'll just say good luck. At many schools it's something of a formality, and while I don't know if you're doing math orals or orals in your specific field, but good luck nonetheless.

>> No.3823765

>>3823752
>hey OP, you know anything about computational fluid dynamics?

lol, you're in luck. for that geometry you're right to use SST (it's good for bluff bodies with large separations) and those turbulence properties are okay.

Yes at Re 20000 the flow is turbulent. Some problems are in what you're looking for -- you're doing a RANS simulation, and you're not going to see DNS-quality data. Also, I take it you're doing a time-averaged calculation there? That flow is inherently unsteady, and you're not going to see a vortex street in a steady flow calc. Show me a plot of the turbulent kinetic energy.

And you're somewhat correct in saying no one knows exactly how fluids work, but a lot of people do know pretty well ;)

Don't be an academic pussy and say you'd rather do structural analysis because it's not as complex.

>> No.3823796

Hey OP, first off congratulations!

And it's not really relevant but I could use the advice:

Can I apply for an MS in physics/engineering if I get a BS in mathematics? Is that normal or rare or impossible?

>> No.3823802

>>3823765
>>3823765

more so because I'm way out of my depth here, I study structural engineering.

anyway, it's a transient analysis not steadystate, and these are streamlines for the final timestep (~250s).

shouldn't the streamlines look a little more turbulent?

and what turbulence specification would you recommend? turblence intensity % and hydraulic diameter? i've set the hydraulic diamter to the diamter of the largest pipe, but yeah.

cheers for any insights, ill try get up a turbulent kinetic energy plot

>> No.3823809

>>3823796
>Can I apply for an MS in physics/engineering if I get a BS in mathematics? Is that normal or rare or impossible?
I know people that have done this. It's not super common, but it's very possible, and possibly even desirable in the right research area.

>> No.3823830

>>3823802
>shouldn't the streamlines look a little more turbulent?
Well, your detachment length / wake is way wrong for that Re. Check your settings and make sure you're really simulating Re 20000 flow. I'd have to look up turbulence intensity and hydraulic diameter parameters, I don't know off the top of my head. The Fluent manual is exceptionally good though.

>> No.3823839

>If you fail, you are kicked out of the program and you will never be called "Dr." If you pass, you keep going on in your education.
Hot damn, that's not cool

>> No.3823842
File: 68 KB, 1028x656, delete.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3823802
also, this is the first time i've used CFD-post, how do I get an animation of the streamlines? or is what I want a particle track? I've exported the timesteps from fluent and can see them in the timestep select

Y U NO WORK

>> No.3823849

I'll be having my state exams by that time and the topics are (slightly) divergent. Otherwise, I'd join up. Sounds like a fun idea. I hope you find someone.

>> No.3823851

>>3823830
flow velocity 0.1m/s, diameter 0.2m, water

ah well, i tried.

>> No.3823852

>>3823842
okay that TKE plot looks more believable (I was wondering about the size of the wake).

You might want to google around to see what Re 20000 cylinder flow looks like with RANS. It's not going to look like an LES or DNS calcuation.

Never used CFD-post. You might want a particle track. Minor technical point, you want "streaklines" not "streamlines"

>> No.3823857

>>3823839
It's serious shit, so you can imagine my fear.

I guess they want to really make sure you know your shit inside out before they stamp a PhD on you.

>> No.3823864

>>3823857
>fear
No kidding, presuming you don't live in a free uni country either which doesn't make it better.
So you're completely screwed if you fail, ie no second chances or chances to go through the programme again?

Good luck tho

>> No.3823869

>>3823864
>presuming you don't live in a free uni country
PhD students in sciences overwhelming get full tuition stipends plus a modest living salary, so it's not like I'm taking on debt here.

The failure scenario is technically two chances: If you fail once, you have a second chance 3 months later, fail that you're out for good. But the norm is people either pass first try, or flunk out.

>> No.3823880

>>3823830
>The Fluent manual is exceptionally good though.

you're not wrong, just found this.

http://cfd.iut.ac.ir/files/cylinder.pdf

i'll work through it tomorrow. cheers though OP, best of luck with your shit

>> No.3823889

>>3823880
Cool. I'd do 2nd order time integration for that case though for sure.

>> No.3824026
File: 16 KB, 297x400, Hilbert.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump?

>> No.3824085

A test like this is one of the reasons I'm considering a PhD. Sounds exciting, but I understand your trepidation.

>> No.3824092

>>3824085
Where are you at in school, and for what? This seriously would be time well spent if you'll be doing a PhD in anything with math.

>> No.3824100

it must suck to be at the point in school where everyone is smart AND trying.....
shit......
at this point (in my education) you just have to be one or the other.

>> No.3824102

>>3824100
>that feel when the questions are the ones you hoped for.

>> No.3824106

>>3824102
didn't mean to link that post

>> No.3824124

>>3824100
>it must suck to be at the point in school where everyone is smart AND trying.....
well, i'm kinda past the point of competition and comparison with other students. these are private exams, pass/fail, and the only people who will know how well i do will be my examiners and i.

i signed on for this. if/when i pass, it will give me the greatest feeling of intellectual achievement i have ever had. i want to ace this shit for myself, not for anyone else. like climbing a mountain or losing a hundred pounds, so i can say "i set my mind to it, and i accomplished something that will serve me well for the rest of my life."

>> No.3824388

bump, because there has to be someone that could really use this opportunity.

>> No.3824813
File: 12 KB, 180x254, baw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I honestly thought there might be someone on sci actually interested in honest-to-goodness math and science. Was I wrong?

>> No.3824830

>>3824813

it's the goddam Attention Whore tripfags-----we can't have nice things.

>> No.3824853

>>3824830
"Nice things" being thread after thread of stupid religious trolling, 9th grade homeworks, carl sagan stoner pictures?

>> No.3824874

>>3824853

You're forgetting Eugenics and /new/ race-wars and "Biology is not a hard science" trollfests

>> No.3824881

>>3824874
I wish I could forget them....

>> No.3824882

>>3824853

It's been this way for as long as I've been coming here.

>> No.3824891

>>3824100
Which lets me know you're smart and lazy i.e. a waste of good intelligence

>> No.3824898

>>3824882
Same here. I just know that there is a 0.5% population here of people with actual academic credentials and interest beyond the superficial, so I bump.

>> No.3824937

God damn, I didn't know PHD students did stuff like this.

This honestly makes me never want to do a PHD. I couldn't imagine getting a problem and somehow just going full retard and not knowing how to solve it.

>> No.3824957

All I can say is good luck. I am quite fine learning DE and complex analysis out of lecturers and self study this semester, for me learning by distance wouldnt be as amusing and participative as being in a lecture room.

have a bump

>> No.3824971

>>3824957
>learning by distance wouldnt be as amusing and participative as being in a lecture room.

Oh of course, I'm not suggesting we lecture each other. Just a short weekly meeting to keep each other honest. It wouldn't even have to be an actual meeting, it could be as simple as exchanging emails like "while studying this topic, i think ___ is important, and here are relevant 3 questions you should be able to answer off the cuff", then I solve your problems on a board on my own time, you do them on yours.

>> No.3824985

>>3824813
okay OP lets do it man. How does i contact?

>> No.3825008

Hey OP, I'm not a graduate student but I'm decent at mathematics. The problem is that I'm worried that I might be ill prepared to tackle this. If you're familiar with Kreyzig's "Advanced Engineering Mathematics", then do you think that it provides adequate preparation to start tackling the material your course requires?

>> No.3825144

This thread is relevant to my interests.

>> No.3825208

>>3823638
I'm a ChemE undergrad.

I have always been interested in applied/ complex mathematics above DE.

How you would you attempt going about trying to solve the navier-stokes equation? Any mathematical tools that would even begin to help you?

I scored a 98% in fluid dynamics but I can't remember the details as to why there is a general solution and no one can do the work up to it.

Something about the tensors and too many dependent partials?

>> No.3825231

>>3824985
http://www.reddit.com/user/Overunderrated/
>>3825144
well, feel free to contact me.
>>3825008
> If you're familiar with Kreyzig's "Advanced Engineering Mathematics", then do you think that it provides adequate preparation to start tackling the material your course requires?
Looking at the table of contents, I think that absolutely gives you adequate preparation to tackle this. Contact me.

>> No.3825248

>>3825208
>I can't remember the details as to why there is a general solution and no one can do the work up to it.
>Something about the tensors and too many dependent partials?

It's a set of nonlinear partial differential equations that also change character between elliptic/parabolic/hyperbolic in different regimes. There is no general approach for solving arbitrary nonlinear PDEs, and N-S is a particularly nasty one. I work with N-S every day, and that's a core part of what we'll study, but, we will not be developing the mathematical tools to fully appreciate all the difficulties in that particular Millennium challenge. This will start to give you some basis in the area of "pure" mathematics, however.

>> No.3825270

>>3825248
The concept of existence and uniqueness of solutions to differential equations will be covered, however. Just applied to more manageable equations.

>> No.3825296

>>3825270
Are you studying to become a teacher or are you purely in for the research/learning?

>> No.3825309

>>3825296
Right now, I'm studying so I can pass generals, then publish research papers, write a dissertation, and be called _____ ______, Ph.D. Longer term, a professor job would be great, but they're hard to get. Right now, my future is not in mind, I just want/need to learn a large amount of challenging stuff in an effort to make my brain explode with awesome.

>> No.3825326

Others interested in contacting, I never use that reddit thing, so I'm online now at PsyDuckStudyGroup@gmail.com if you'd like to message me for more details.

>> No.3825334

>>3825309
While I would love to join you, I'm pretty tied down with my own degree and the life outside of it.

Therein lies a flaw in your plans.

How do you expect to find that other .05% of Sci that wants to do this with you?

The rest are either the mediocre highschool students struggling with gravity or currently busy persuing their own degrees.

what are the chances you'll find another PhD candidate like yourself here?

>> No.3825349

>>3825334
>How do you expect to find that other .05% of Sci that wants to do this with you?
by bumping in the hopes that see this.

>what are the chances you'll find another PhD candidate like yourself here?
very shitty, but apparently there are some people here interested. A senior that's applying for grad school in math/physics/engineering this year would benefit greatly from this. It's not just some thing you do to satiate your curiosity. It's serious applied mathematics that will put you far ahead of your colleagues in grad school.

>> No.3825695

Bump for actual learning. Do you want to learn? I want to learn.

>> No.3825775

>>3825695
Sent you a message on reddit.

>> No.3825799

>>3825775
Thanks, responded.

>> No.3825836

>>3825695

No. I just want to prove the superiority of my race over others by using a metric that has been spotty at best at testing intelligence. That and piss other people off while doing so. Is there nothing wrong with that?

Seriously question though, do you know many PhD candidates for Humanities and if you do, do you often sport an air of superiority over them? Do you consider your pursuits to be more "important" or whatever over someone going for Womyn's Studies or Asian Studies? Is it common among Engineering/Science candidates to do so?

>> No.3825843

>>3825836

Serious*

>> No.3825867

>>3825836
>Seriously question though, do you know many PhD candidates for Humanities and if you do, do you often sport an air of superiority over them? Do you consider your pursuits to be more "important" or whatever over someone going for Womyn's Studies or Asian Studies? Is it common among Engineering/Science candidates to do so?

What do you think? Also, pretty much yes. It's hard not to look down on someone in wimmins studies or whatever. At the same though, those people tend to "look up" at us. Even at a great university, if you talk to someone in humanities and tell them what sci-y stuff you're doing, they tend to go "woah, you must be really smart!" when they themselves are probably pretty sharp themselves.

>> No.3825877

>>3825836
>No. I just want to prove the superiority of my race over others by using a metric that has been spotty at best at testing intelligence. That and piss other people off while doing so. Is there nothing wrong with that?

These people are fucking morons, and no matter what statistics say about averaged differences in races/groups/genders/nations, that particular person is a dipshit incapable of performing the research that they want to use to backpat themselves for being born the right race.

>> No.3825882

Fuck, I would love to do this OP, but I'm all fucked with other shit.

Good luck.

>> No.3825886

Do you go to Princeton? I do, my general exam is soon also.

>> No.3825889

>>3825886
>Do you go to Princeton?

identify yourself =|

>> No.3825935

>>3825889

mae

>> No.3825943

>>3825935
lol you fucker

>> No.3825956

>>3825935
I'm going to guess JC.

>> No.3825961

>>3823638
sup op, I am interested in this. I am a 2nd year grad student in CS, so I don't know if I will have time to keep up but I will try. Maybe with some course notes and a group, I'll actually have the motivation to learn some math. I'll mail you.

>> No.3825971

>>3825956

if JC is a person he or she is not me

>> No.3825978

>>3825971
Well, MAE bro, obviously we know each other ;)

>> No.3826000

Awesome idea OP, I would join you but I'm just scratching the surface of higher level mathematics at this point.
I've only taken up to calculus 2 and I'm in the process of taking calculus 3 right now.
Best of luck with your studying.

>> No.3826004

>>3826000
You could probably still do it if properly motivated. You'd crush any future classes you take in math.

>> No.3826012
File: 11 KB, 180x244, ungh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I struggle with concepts within trigonometry and calculus and will never be able to discuss complex mathematical applications with people like OP, much less on a comprehensive, academic level

>> No.3826034

>mfw I struggle with concepts within trigonometry and calculus and will never be able to discuss complex mathematical applications with people like OP, much less on a comprehensive, academic level

Why?

>> No.3826032

>>3825978

how to safely communicate more information?
infoencrypt.com ?

>> No.3826056

>>3826012
>>3826034

Same poster here. Fucking 4chan lag.

>> No.3826061

>>3824937
>God damn, I didn't know PHD students did stuff like this.
It depends on where you live. PhD's in (continental) Europe don't work like this at all.

>> No.3826090

>>3826061
>(continental) Europe
No? I believe the Oxford/Cambridge types do.

>>3826032
But how to come up with a clever password only we would know...

>> No.3826094

>>3826012
Only one way to get better, and bawwing about it on /sci/ isn't it. I assure you this stuff doesn't come easily to me.

>> No.3826096
File: 13 KB, 438x499, 1313195894910.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>>/a/55290460
>>>/a/55290692
>mathematics can be boiled down to opinions when it all comes down to it.
>the concept of math is theory just like the concept or evolution. Not everyone in the world believes in these concepts therefore by definition they are also subjective theories that are just widely accepted as fact. That's why they are axioms.
>Math is not objective. It's a system that humans built that is based on consistency. The quality of every other medium can be measured in the same way that math is consistent. Consistency can be used to measure the objective qualities of a medium because consistency is the reason we trust math to be objective.

Your face when people do not have the faintest clue what maths is near you

>> No.3826102

>>3826090
>No? I believe the Oxford/Cambridge types do.
Quite likely, as the US higher education is based on the UK's one. The UK's system is quite different from the rest of Europe's though. For one thing, PhDs involve neither courses nor exams over here (that's what the master is for).

>> No.3826118

>>3826090

Something based on a weekly email

>> No.3826318

>>3826090
>>3826118

e.g you get the one "I am accepting items, events and..."

>> No.3826414

>>3826061
>>3826061
>PhD's in (continental) Europe don't work like this at all.
Oh, they do! They do. Depends on which uni you're at, but getting a PhD in Eng is much like this.

>> No.3826433

going to bed soon bros, so one last bump. thanks to those who contacted with interest.

>> No.3826485

>>3826318
Good call. Password is the completion of that sentence, verbatim.

To decrypt this message use http://infoencrypt.com/

<Encrypted>
suI25gyJkc3cWxTJMw6miNle6/PGDyKm4jsXmbbqFSGLNgYDHL6gpV+GGy7v8pJlN+9nq/rckVwoAwJX
2Pm2z5A2or/q2S+LywZYcYQd6BAk81s4MnSCeJJO7rWvrRKd

</Encrypted>

>> No.3826500

>>3826485
whoops, shoulda checked that.... decrept with the next 4 strings copypasted from that sentence.

To decrypt this message use http://infoencrypt.com/

<Encrypted>
JXGYkfHrA48BBNBuNG2v/5PXI4CJDoFaK/uauLXmQ/miTH6otHOJKbbQ1ENcsCuZe5Xq1j7bKqp9UKm+
BtbWjPrPTld9ZlxS+S7kICI4vs9HXh56vrMYCY5U1BHNMbZp

</Encrypted>

>> No.3826651

>>3826500

Gah what is a string

>> No.3826702

>>3826651
>>3826500
nvm got your first

>> No.3828107

One... last.... bumb...

>> No.3829305

Alright /sci/, we've got 3-5 gentlemen so far that are interested in rigorous intensive study in applied mathematics for the next 2-3 months. Any more takers?

>> No.3829325

what level? I have taken multivariable and linear algebra, currently on complex analysis (Cauchy's formula, etc)

and how often would we meet? email only?

>> No.3829393

>>3829305
>>3829305
OP, I would be all over this stuff, but I just started college, and I'm stuck doing prerequiste courses like Algebra I. I've got a ways to go before I get to Calc. Can't wait though.

>> No.3829496

>>3829325
>what level? I have taken multivariable and linear algebra, currently on complex analysis (Cauchy's formula, etc)
that's plenty of background. complex analysis will be a fairly big section here. send an email.

there will be weekly topics of interest to study, with the key points stressed, and each member brings one or more relevant but challenging problems to weekly "meeting."

possibly email exchange, but that's not as good at keeping people honest. i'm open to suggestions. i have a private wiki set up i can provide access to.

>> No.3831586

Aright, bump. Compiling syllabus today.

>> No.3831601
File: 20 KB, 258x314, 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>intense study
>ODEs, PDEs, Fourier and Laplace transforms, conformal mapping, complex calculus, linear algebra

>> No.3831608

>>3823661
Haha, I covered these topics in my bachelors degree. Your university must really suck. Do you live in a third world country?

>> No.3831626

>>3831608
>>3831601
Close but not quite, boys.

>> No.3831734

>>3831608
>Haha, I covered these topics in my bachelors degree.
I'm sure you saw some. I superficially covered some of them as well. How much work in analysis did you have in BS? I had none. Only math majors did it.
>Your university must really suck.
It really doesn't.

>> No.3834191

Syllabus out, last chance for anyone interested in graduate level study in:

Linear spaces, subspaces,normed, banach, hilbert
Linear algebra, operators, matrices, eigenvalues problems
Linear operators, norms, adjoint operators, sturm-liouville theory,
ODEs and Green's functions, existence-uniqueness theory, Lipschitz continuity
Complex variables, analysis, laurent series, cauchy integrals, conformal mapping
fourier and laplace transforms
PDEs, existence and uniqueness, solution methods
Numerical methods for PDEs
Perturbation methods

>> No.3834352

>>3831608
Are you fucking stupid? Do you know how deep those topics go? I covered electron orbitals and organic chemistry in high school chemistry, and circuits in physics. I guess that's all there is to learn about those subjects, anyone who learns them in college must live in a third world country.
>>3831734
props OP. I'm a 4th year undergrad in biomedical engineering, planning to go to graduate school in a year or two and maybe(??) a PhD down the line. I took a fluid dynamics/mass transport course winter quarter and it really opened my eyes, its a fascinating subject. I doubt I'd be able to comprehend most of the work you're doing so I'm not trying to "enroll" in your study, but good luck and know that there are a few intelligent people who actually care more about science and math than trolling out here, unlike our friend >>3831608

>> No.3834382

>>3823638
>>3823638
Grad student here, and I thought that getting math blisters was bad enough...

>> No.3834383

Wait, so an engineering phd = math bachelor's with grad school classes?

Let's see... real analysis, measure theory, functional analysis, linear algebra, complex analysis, differential equations...

Obviously there is still a lot of focus on engineering work, but it seems a math major isn't that behind if he decides to get an engineering PhD.

I didn't know engineers had use for this advanced level of work.

>> No.3834399

>>3834352
Good on you man. If you want to email though, I'll send you details on it. You have the background for the material, and it'll be time well spent, I promise you. You can comprehend it... all the material is out in the open, and it's intended for people that just finished BS in a variety of science-y subjects.

In all honestly, I wish when I was a junior or senior in engineering, someone told me I should do this work, more so I wish I had deeper exposure in undergrad classes.

>> No.3834415
File: 10 KB, 320x200, cosb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3834383
>Wait, so an engineering phd = math bachelor's with grad school classes?
I honestly am not that knowledgeable about undergrad math majors, but in talking to some grad students, this material is probably close to what you describe -- kind of a summary of the most important points of applied mathematics.

Realize this isn't the focus of the engineering PhD, it's just an important part of it. Some of the material is more abstract than others, but the majority of it you can show direct lines to modern engineering research work.

For example, standard undergrad aeronautics students learn thin airfoil theory, which is an extension of complex analysis & conformal mapping, which is a very rich and deep subject.

>Obviously there is still a lot of focus on engineering work, but it seems a math major isn't that behind if he decides to get an engineering PhD.
It's relatively common for math or physics undergrads to do engineering grad work.

>> No.3834428
File: 42 KB, 250x250, a-plus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

differential eqs? Laplace transforms? :D

<span class="math">
\text{ JUST DO } e^{it}
\<span class="math">[/spoiler][/spoiler]

>> No.3834436

>>3823715
What university? We have no reason to think your not a troll if you just try to boost your ego about how difficult your studies are at community college

>> No.3834454

>>3834415
interestingly enough i never actually looked at the applications of all the abstract stuff I've learned. this is great to hear.

>> No.3834468

>>3834454
>interestingly enough i never actually looked at the applications of all the abstract stuff I've learned. this is great to hear.

Heh, well put. The most enlightening part for me in first seeing this material is that I learned purely applicable stuff, and later was exposed to the more abstract which actually has interested implications and applications.

>> No.3834559

>>3834468
lol op why don't you grow up and get a real job like a man is suppose to.