[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 35 KB, 500x375, fat kid run.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3819230 No.3819230 [Reply] [Original]

what happens if you are on top of a building or something, and you throw something off of the building faster than terminal velocity?

does it slow down until it hits terminal velocity?

does it just keep the same speed?

pic unrelated

>> No.3819238

yes it slows down

>> No.3819251

Given enough space and time to fall friction with the air will slow it down.

>> No.3819286

any proof?

>> No.3819290

>>3819286
why do you need proof? are you too dumb to think this through logically?

>> No.3819291

>>3819286

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_%28physics%29

There's your proof.

>> No.3819300

the air slows it down by applying friction or "wind resistance". it's the exact same reason why the object can't accelerate beyond terminal velocity in the first place. this is also why if you fire a bullet up into the air, when it lands, it isn't going as fast as when you fired it out of the gun, in fact it's much slower and generally nonlethal.

>> No.3819301

>>3819286
Do you even understand how any of this shit works, or are you just a troll?

>> No.3819336

>>3819290

no i just want to read it from a real source, not a fucking post on 4chan

>>3819291

thank you

>>3819300

ok that kinda puts it in perspective.
i just wasnt entirely sure if terminal velocity was caused by wind resistence.
i just never thought it through. makes sense now.

>>3819301

yes im a troll. you caught me.

>> No.3819347

>>3819336

Why ask something here, if you don't want to read something here.
Anyway, it's logical that the falling velocity of an object is determined because of the resistance of the air.
Hence it would slow down.

Better question:

How come metal objects, even after being heated past room temperature, it will then cool off to LOWER than the room temperature?

>> No.3819357

Viscous drag model has terms that are proportional to velocity. So yes, the force opposing the fall (direction of motion) will be larger in the beginning leading to de-accelaration.

>> No.3819378

>>3819347

>Why ask something here, if you don't want to read something here.

i wanted to know where to start. 4chan is not the end all be all of knowledge.

>Anyway, it's logical that the falling velocity of an object is determined because of the resistance of the air.
>Hence it would slow down.

i didnt think it all the way thru. i wasnt sure if: gravity > drag or drag < gravity

Better question:

How come metal objects, even after being heated past room temperature, it will then cool off to LOWER than the room temperature

they dont. it just seems like it.

>> No.3819387

>gravity > drag or drag < gravity

gravity > drag or gravity < drag

>> No.3819405

Air resistance is a function of velocity, the faster you go the more air resistance there is. Gravity is not; it its well approximated by a constant downward force at any point during a fall.

The terminal velocity is the speed at which air resistance is equal to the force due to gravity. Any slower, and the force of gravity is less than air resistance, so it speeds up. Any faster and air resistance is more than the force of gravity, so it slows down.

>> No.3819442

>>3819347

>How come metal objects, even after being heated past room temperature, it will then cool off to LOWER than the room temperature?

They do not.

Metal is a good conductor, so it feels cold to the touch because it immediately starts pulling heat away from your hotter-than-the-environment skin.

>> No.3819447

>>3819387

Gravity > drag until terminal velocity, at which point drag = gravity.

That's what terminal velocity is, you see, when the drag of an object counters the acceleration of gravity.

>> No.3819465

>>3819447

ok. i got it before, noy i ultra get it.