[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 99 KB, 561x595, computer_science_major.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3813730 No.3813730 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/,
I have to sign up for university in 4 days. Information engineering was my first choice, and after the 3 years I would have to choose two additional years, between biomedical, tlc, electronic, and computer engineering.
Two days ago, anyway, one of my friends suddenly chose computer science and I realised that maybe a purer science would be the best for me. I am now struggling between comp science and computer engineering. I'd like to do some counseling in the future, and I'm afraid that with comp science I would remain stuck in the programming phase. I'm also afraid I won't like the electronics part in computer engineering. Also, I wouldn't mind making some money in the future.
How can I choose? Do you have any personal experience you can tell me about? What would the best choice be, in your very own opinion?

Thanks in advance, and excuse me for my english

>> No.3813751

Just do it, you won't regret it.

>> No.3813769

>>3813730

>I wouldn't mind making some money in the future.

Are you willing to do a masters/phd?

http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=86490

>C++ Quantitative Developer
>$175,000- $190,000 plus bonuses

or search http://jobs.efinancialcareers-canada.com/Quantitative_Analytics.htm

As long as you do a quantitative degree, and are proficient at math and programming it doesn't really matter if you do comp sci, engineering, pure physics, applied math, etc....just get good at what you do and get a masters/phd, and 150k starting can be yours almost.

>> No.3813773

>>3813751
Yeah but which one? I'm pretty scared about the whole electronics thing, I never tried that before, I don't honestly know what it's going to be like...

>> No.3813776

>>3813730
Here's my view on CS vs CE.

CS:
- should be called: algorithms and discrete mathematics
- has programming courses, but focuses more on theoretical programming (see lambda calculus)
- you are expected to learn programming languages/ do programming projects on your own time to get your job qualifications up.
- can either get into IT or research positions, there's also a new "bioinformatics" division

CE:
- it's engineering, so don't expect insane math
- will almost certainly guarantee you a job once you graduate
- focuses more on building things that work, than why those things work
- it's theoretical but more in the sense that you're making a blueprint for a house

>> No.3813785

>>3813773

If you aren't comfortable with hands on electronics work it will be kind of tough at the start. I went from comp sci programming into engineering and when I had to work with actual circuit boards and modulate their frequencies/voltages and setup networks, I was like WTF AM I DOING....

I can do theory fine, but when they ask me to reproduce it in real life my mind went blank...it didn't help that I missed quite a few lectures lol...but whatever

It's like anything else, if you put the time and effort, you'll be fine...if you don't you're screwed

>> No.3813827

>>3813769
Thanks, I was pretty worried about the salary (I'm Italian and that doesn't help at all), though now I see that there are many ways I can get to a good job.
It seems I'll have to be good at whatever I'm going to choose...

>> No.3813835

>>3813776
Which one is going to be more interesting, in your opinion (considering job too)?
I'm freaking out about this thing. I don't know whether I'll like electronics or not. I don't want to be stuck with something I hate for the rest of my life, this scares me a lot. I guess I'm more theoretical than practical, but I'm not that sure.
These days are going to kill me.

>> No.3813837

>>3813785
Why did you switch?

>> No.3813849

>>3813730 maybe a purer science

A decade or so ago there was a big shift in how most CS departments were run. Many CS graduates were whining that their education was useless because it was all turing machines and other pure logic concepts instead of how to actually write software professionally. As result many CS departments are now focused on training software developers; very far from the pure "science" at it's root.

>> No.3813869

Oh, and what about telecommunication engineering?

>> No.3813938

>>3813869
Bump for question

>> No.3814005

i was exactly in the same dilema as you OP and I decided to go for computer engineering but I was too late and I couldn't get in. I went for math with the hopes of changing my major after 1 year. So far I like math more than engineering....

>> No.3814021

math is much more convenient to do, you dont need to work on projects and go to labs

and if you do your labs are just playing on a computer or listening to a lecture

engineering and comp sci are hassle courses...you can do math anywhere, just have a pen and paper and imagination

masters in math > comp sci

you can teach yourself programming, you can teach yourself finance, and even physics...if you are good at math you can bridge into anything basically

>> No.3814022

Computer science isn't really a "pure science", it's much closer to applied mathematics.

That said, programming is a very small part of any _good_ computer science degree. You will maybe have a handful of programming classes in your first couple of years depending on the school but in your upper division courses you will most likely be expected to learn whatever languages you need in your own time to keep up with the coursework. Upper division classes are mostly focused on theory and engineering.

>> No.3814050

inb4 math $300,000

>> No.3814124

Which one you think that uses more abstract thought and creativity?

>> No.3814148

>>3814124
definitely compsci