[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 36 KB, 343x503, Harold Krenshaw Is Confused.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3805989 No.3805989 [Reply] [Original]

>The Terror Management Theory posits that when people are reminded of their own deaths, they more readily enforce these symbols, often leading to punitive actions, violence, and war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_management_theory

Why is Psychology such a waste of time?

>> No.3806013

My roommate has been insisting for a couple weeks that psychology is based on empirical data. I asked him what "empirical data" meant. He said "numbers and stuff".

I need to meet some smart people in the fucking town.

>> No.3806025

In some ways this psychology study debunks a good chunk of all the studies performed so far in psychology.
http://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~henrich/pdfs/Weird_People_BBS_final02.pdf

Personally, I'm more inclined to trust neuroscience when it comes to studies in human behaviour. But we are still in the infancy stages of this area.

>> No.3806066

>>3806013
To be fair, most 'psychology' students tend more towards social Psychology. There are other fields that deal in more appealing data, but fuck, shit like OPs link is enraging.

>> No.3806072

>>3806013
It's better than not studying these phenomenon at all.

Personally though, I can't wait until neurofags can take this shit over and do a better job.

>> No.3806158

>>3806072
Same.

Psychology is like economics, in that it's really hard to prove anything, because there are so many confounding factors. So the best-supported stuff, and most stuff you get taught, is the stuff that's pretty fucking easy to prove.
Neuroscience and behavioral economics will soon correct this.

>> No.3807106 [DELETED] 

bump

>> No.3807120

>>3805989
I don't see what about this is supposed to be outrageous?

>> No.3807148

>>3807120
It's better than biology.