[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 168 KB, 1093x797, 1270999546106.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3800800 No.3800800 [Reply] [Original]

What causes something to evolve? When do the cells say "OK, it's evolving time now!"

Sorry if I don't make much sense. I was homeschooled and don't know much.

>> No.3800810

It is evolving time all the time. Evolution is a very very slow change over generations, not a crocodile giving birth to a duck.

>> No.3800812

There isn't a mechanism for evolution. According to the theory of evolution by natural selection, organisms that through random mutations (Due to errors in the copying of the genome, radiation fucking shit up, etc.) may benefit or hinder an organism in a certain environment. Those that benefit reproduce more. In a world of finite resources, the less capable organisms die off.

It gets more complicated when you get to sexual selection.

>> No.3800814
File: 12 KB, 417x357, 1305991488987.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The really simplified version is that all things mutate in this or that way, and the ones that survive then either breed or die out. If the mutations they have cause a slight improvement in survival and procreation chances, that race is 'favoured' above the others with less-desirable traits.

I rather liked Sagan's explanation using samurai crabs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvMoC1M-GYw

>> No.3800816

Individual cells do not evolve. Evolution takes place when environmental pressures cause groups of lifeforms to physically adapt over multiple generations in order to have a better chance of survival under those environmental pressures.

>> No.3800821

Natural selection of genetic variation.